• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Packing houses

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Packing houses

How are the various proposed packing houses doing? I don't hear much anymore about all the ones that were in the news?
    The Ranchers choice deal (Sunterra) seems to hopelessly mired in Calgary and I doubt it will ever be built. The NGC plant at Pincher Creek should be well under construction by now?
    I don't know how the one in Manitoba is playing out...the one where they were going to truck in the whole plant...including the building! That one still sounds fairly "chancy" to me!
    I can't see the advantage of trucking in a building, even if it might be possible!
    And here in Red Deer Alberta we have a building sitting idle? To much to refit you see.
    What happened with the cow plant in BC? I think it was at Salmon Arm? They were trying to peddle shares around here last year. Seemed like a loser to me.
    What happened to that Irish plant in Saskatchewan?

I understand that Sunterra plant has moved out of the city and has now received planning approval. There would appear to be some problems associated with water and services that may be supplied by the city of Calgary. Schmaal(sp)is still pursuing his vendetta against this plant even though it is no longer in his riding and he is not running for re-election. However, I do get the feeling that there has been considerable pressure, provincial or federal?, to get this plant started.

Last I heard of the Blue Mountain plant was that they were ready to start in September but ran up against CFIA over some paperwork.

It would seem to me that this is a topic that should be covered by some investigative reporter who has the time to search out these plants and their progress. It would sure help those of us that are looking for some encouraging signs of hope.

Comment

The issue here is "Our BSE situation".
      This has never been Canada's problem to deal with. Canada - our government and our CCA, have teamed up with the USDA to tackle this issue, and whether they want to beleive it or not, Canada has been getting the S*&t end of the stick ever since.

Two scenerio's play out.

either #1 - the USDA overestimated their power in the USA to help Canada out by getting the border open.

or #2 - the USDA never had any other agenda but to look after America.

I think that our CCA and the Canadian government has looked hard at option #1 as an excuse for their "let them lead" approach, while the grassroots side has always seen Uncle Sam for what it truely is - Uncle Sam is out for Uncle Sam.

Grassroots movements have shown a bit of clout in the past three months, but the most clout we will be able to show, is clout within the only groups that our government recognises. The biggest battle is obviously in Alberta, as most other provincial cattle organizations seem to see the truth. Alberta runs ABP and in turn has, by far the most influence with the CCA.

It seems that the folks in the ABP are moving a touch away from the "USDA knows everything" attitude, and now is certainly the time to take advantage of that tiny bit of momentum. Find out who the delegate in your Zone has the guts to stand up against this "border open, bow to Cargil and Tyson" attitude and get that person a seat on ABP.

These people can in turn support the people in other provinces who have been struggling with the ABP run CCA, and we can see this momentum continue.

Our biggest problem is packing capacity. We could be selling a lot more cattle at a far more competitive price if we had capacity to kill. Cattle organizations all across this country are seeing that, while Alberta still cheers Cargil and Tyson for their expansion plans. Don't see either of these profit takers kicking plans into high gear do we?

Testing, or at the very least, having the ability to test for BSE will give us an advantage, but I can see the American's beating us to that game as well. We are simply screwed until we see the light, and start laying bricks and mortar NOW.

Comment

Sunterra has gotten the first reading through in the M.D. of Rockyview. When successful, it will be just a short way away from where they were originally going to build.

Of course, the other readings won't come until after the election, but it looks like it will get the go ahead.

Comment

With regard to Verboven's article I found it slightly untrue. In truth most of the European countries that are testing a lot now didn't start testing until the BSE issue had already died in the eyes of the consumer.In the UK where we obviously had the vast majority of world cases all OTM cattle are still incinerated as they have been since March 1996. They have not solved how to sell cows from a country with a high BSE level.
          I know he is trying to push the agenda of testing for a market which I fully support but I think Japan shows better how testing can overcome consumer fears.
          Rpk, I hope your election goes well but I fear once again that apathy will be the biggest problem. ABP are obviously counting on this by the low profile of the upcoming elections. Despite the views expressed on this forum many producers seem to be staying home feeling that they are somehow at fault for the financial troubles they are in while their neighbours seem to be managing better. If only we would all talk, get organised and get ahead.

Comment

I believe the one in Salmon arm is up and running or will be this week.

Comment

What about the one in the Acheson Industrial Park near Devon, and the one near Fort Assiniboine ? Has anyone heard anything more about either of them ?
              From all reports the one near Devon had an excellent business plan, but don't know if they plan on proceeding or not.

Comment

I am told that the Ranchers Own plant planned for Spruce Grove will go ahead, also one in Beaver County. The N.F.U is liasing between these two and others to try and set up a joint marketing strategy. That way perhaps we can get some of the strengths of a big packing plant set up yet retain smaller local plants which are more convenient for farmers to deliver cattle to. And they are not even spending our checkoff dollars to do it!

Comment

cowman... you must have missed AG Shirley on call of the land on friday...she said the government had invested 27 million in to 45 projects to increase slaugther capacity... in the local paper Innisfail meat packers reported they would be expanding...

Comment

Innisfail's plans are for cull cows from what I read in the local paper.

Comment

I am going to lose a pile, frosted wheat isn't a good thing at all. As for the people that are making money, all the people that live off of agriculture are still doing good if we pay our bills. I took a sample of wheat to the terminal the other day, my best wheat. It is nice big red wheat, weighs 62 pounds to the bushel and is 14 per cent protein and it is graded feed because of the odd blackened kernel. I told them that you can only steal so long from the same people and then they will go broke and you have to find new ones to steal from.

Comment

I wonder how many cattle people have just come to accept the fact that this is the new reality and they are stuck with it? I believe the average farmers age in Alberta is 59 and I assume they made a few dollars along the way? Some of these old boys have pretty deep pockets? Perhaps they'll just ride out the bad times as long as they have to? A lot of the smaller producers have already sold their cattle and are doing something else.
                        I truly doubt there will be a big turnout at the ABP meetings. You'll get the same old boys who attend everything and a few people who want change, but I don't think there will be any groundswell of grassroots support. Pretty sad but probably true?

Comment

Well I'll try not to be too negative about Innisfail Meat Packers, but they should take that government money and hire a bulldozer! Really, the place is obsolete and can't meet the new health standards! I believe their "expansion" will enable them to kill another 200 cows a YEAR?
                          The mayor of Calgary has stated emphatically that the Sunterra plant will not be hooking up to Calgary water or sewer!
                          I suspect this whole thing is municipal politics on Rockyviews part? Trying to block Calgary from annexing some very valuable land for residential use? Rockyview, without a water sewer hookup is not feasable from a financial point of view...and that is a fact!
                          I often wonder what kind of game Price is playing here? If you know the area and how Calgary is expanding you would wonder why anyone in their right mind would ever propose building a plant there!

Comment

2 grain buyers in town one paying $1.40 for feed wheat the other $1.60/bu Glad I did some contracting this spring My #1 wheat contract $4.64/bu should bring me $2.40/bu feed grade. Dec canola $8.60/bushel If I hadn't forward contracted this spring I know I would be done.

Comment

...like you say cowman I wonder about the sunterra deal also... know a couple of good people that have invested in sunterra I hope they don't get burned...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...