• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feedlots short ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedlots short ?

While filling mixing wagon heard on radio story of multiple feedlots suddenly short of feed. Is this corn trains no show or is somebody got there wires crossed ( news reporter ) ?

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
    While filling mixing wagon heard on radio story of multiple feedlots suddenly short of feed. Is this corn trains no show or is somebody got there wires crossed ( news reporter ) ?
    I was reading about this last night, was going to start a thread and erased it because as usual I got off topic and I am not up to date on this subject.

A couple comments from a grain farmers point of view...

1. Maybe they should have their needs filled in August for the following year. physical inputs are to be on site on a grain farm or you are considered an idiot that lacks planning.

2. Calf prices should move up for the amount of feed that has went through my calves , I expect to be paid for it. that's questionable.

Now all things aside , I am sure these guys have planned their needs but what can be done when the supply chain is interrupted by no fault of their own.

It sounds like a serious situation when it is in the national media.

Comment

Can't feed 100% grain.
      Anything just starting needs high % forage.
      Yearling pens will be turning over now so calves like Woodlands will need to have high forage starter rations.
      How can you substitute high quality silage?
      Wouldn't want to be trying to buy any quantity of hay today.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
        Can't feed 100% grain.
        Anything just starting needs high % forage.
        Yearling pens will be turning over now so calves like Woodlands will need to have high forage starter rations.
        How can you substitute high quality silage?
        Wouldn't want to be trying to buy any quantity of hay today.
        Seen a local ad for 1600# bales at $300 a bale.

That should get cows sold quicker.

Comment

Corn imports into Western Canada from the U.S. have risen dramatically following the 2021 drought, but cattle feeders in Alberta say unpredictable shipments are not keeping up with demand. In some cases, feedlots say they are scraping together the last of their feed supplies, and are banking on delayed trains still arriving in time to maintain rations. According to the latest numbers from the USDA, Canadian corn imports in October and November were more than four times higher than the previous year, while there were more than 2.2 million tons in U.S. sales into Canada on the books that were yet to be shipped as of the end of December 2021. The primary railway involved in supplying southern Alberta corn,...

Comment

Feed wheat has dropped $2 a bushel almost in the last month so there are some alternatives, cant be switching calves over fast but it's not really a surprise that the corn logistics were problematic. Lots of feedlots only have a couple days supplies on hand which is ok when pulling from a local farm but counting on multiple movements and transactions like corn with no hiccups you need to be prepared ahead.

Comment

Reading that made me feel sick inside. A dire situation. The stress on those folks is unimaginable.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                Feed wheat has dropped $2 a bushel almost in the last month so there are some alternatives, cant be switching calves over fast but it's not really a surprise that the corn logistics were problematic. Lots of feedlots only have a couple days supplies on hand which is ok when pulling from a local farm but counting on multiple movements and transactions like corn with no hiccups you need to be prepared ahead.
                I've never had any experience feeding wheat, but was of the understanding that it can't be fed at a very significant part of the ration for bovines?

Comment

Thanks for update makes sense now without that corn rest of ration supplies won't last long. Putting bigger calves back on straight hay or silage will cost a fortune. Likley put pressure on wet nose market.

Comment

1,476,000 metric tonnes of barley has been exported from Canada since the beginning of the crop year.

Comment

We still have some
                      Not much call for it
                      All we hear about is all the corn coming in ?

Comment

I have a November contract of feed barley that has not yet been accepted. I remember why grain farming isn’t for everyone.

Comment

Barley was the main crop when I was a kid 50+ years ago, pay and we will play. Barley is many peoples least favorite crop, me included.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                            I've never had any experience feeding wheat, but was of the understanding that it can't be fed at a very significant part of the ration for bovines?
                            Lots of wheat is used in feedlots when it is priced favorably. Entire grain portion can be wheat, acidosis risk is higher and its hotter so can potentially be hard on organs.

Comment

So feedlots micro manage prices, so here they are starving after years of we will just bring in corn crap. The amount of barley southern alberta can grow they should be ashamed.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.