• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Wow, it's been a cold few days, -29 with a windchill its -36 right now at the farm. It is a good thing I have an hour's drive out if I stop at Tim's for coffee.

The Crop Production farm show is over and was good, very few people attended but the ones that did could actually talk to different companies so that's a plus.

Manitoba Ag Days would be on right now and it is a far better show. But due to covid and Manitoba, it was delayed. I cant see how they will have it later this winter but we will see it if does happen. Hey, the free ride is over its $20 a day now but they still have a nice 50/50.

Land rent auctions are a new thing and are fun to watch. Lots of shit land renting for 90 an acre way up north and a 100 is common in a lot of the areas. Good renters are worth their weight in gold sometimes it's just a short-term deal for a little cash.

Land sales continue but the big one beside me is getting more interesting. Alberta Hutt bus was seen in the area this week so did the Lady from Lethbridge do the flip already.

Putin is having a blast with slow Joe. Americans a year ago elected into office someone more out to lunch than our leader Skpppy. See Skippy is just stupid vs Joe had it together but sadly his marbles have gone missing. Yes, it was a vote against trump but when you look at the outcome maybe the real problem was why in the USA couldn't the Democrats have found someone better than sleepy joe.

Putin wants Ukraine and he will get it back, Canada sent our girls and she went to Paris first to buy a purse and hat. Were so weak it's not even funny.

Sask is staying open with masks and social distancing. I say its time to stay open also, the USA for the most part has moved on, don't believe me watch a NFL game and explain how they haven't. Omnicron is out their and most will get it like the common cold. If your vaxed you have a better chance and only might be mildly sick. Yes I believe in science but if your a anti vaxer that's ok its your choice now lets move on.

Grain prices found legs the last few days and its about time. Putin will crush Ukraine with no one to stop him and cheap grain will not leave the country.

To all my Liberal friends who say its better to negotiate than get mad how is that working with the Drought and changing the farm programs of the future. Were 90 days away from seeding the 2022 crop and not a peep from farm groups or Fed or Prov ministers. Zero NADA nothing.

Like I said they don't care and wont do noting for the west. Remember Dairy got 3 billion for a 3% loss of sales, West got the China bomb on Canola and we got Zip.

Being nice doesn't work.

Oh Apas changed the Guard and now we have another guy that's use to sitting on boards elected to another board. Yea were all cheering. Not.

Some tough times on the farm happening in some areas hit hard by drought its not fun, we have lived it with the frost years and drought. Wiped out and nothing really, but year two or three is the killer. Its nothing you did its mother nature and shitty farm program.s

Ah news bulletin the DROUGHT ISNT OVER WITH A FEW SNOW STORMS! Yes something maybe has changed and we do definitely have more snow this winter than the last few but is their any moisture in some of this lighter fluff. I still would take a inch or more rain in April over any snow any day of the week.

Grain is moving but the real winners are the crushing plants that are owned by the grain companies. Our price is based off Soy and sales out of the country. Right now both dropped last few weeks the crushers finished all the cheap canola from fall and now are glad the price dropped to fill again. Then the price drop in summer as a new big super 25 MMT crop is coming because of Snow.

So what will guys grow in 2022. Lots of talk of peas going in because cheaper to grow. Math is fun if you have seed maybe but if your buying 25 dollar peas times three are you really saving cash.

Yes $12 dollar fall is just about out their.

So malt barley is also talk not in a good way. Barley sucked in all the west in 2021, so what will happen this year, I'm thinking and hearing barley acres in huge decile. Huge. Malt prices are pathetic. and I love the contracts on some here is 8 for fall but if it doesn't make malt we get it all for feed at that price. Your ****ed is what this contract should read.

Canola is expensive but give best in drought areas due to it being a new crop in these area so they have a 10 year average vs the east and north with a 30 year or more average. 10 good and one bad is way better than a 30 for price guarantee.

Flax I am out of the game because even with disease protection you still have only a small max yield.

So Oats then, 7 x 100 is 700 an acre and any one who can grow oats should like the number. But seed could be a issue.

Wheat the 10 have left the building but still 10 x 40 is only 400 an acre and 10 at 100 is 1000 but if you get 100 you can bet they won't be paying 10 it will be 6 or less because of over supply.

Can we win as farmers?

Well a few more days in Sask before its wheels up and I'm back to a normal life of wide open Florida. Get the Omicron its not that bad a sore sore throat and your good at the airports for a few weeks having no issues.

Stay warm, stay safe and talk to your neighbors some are having a very rough winter.

The trucker vaccine mandate shows how out of touch Ottawa really is but if we have a war in Ukraine watch all things go crazy expensive.

Might have to live here.

Comment

The Man O' War Cocktail Recipe

The Man O' War is an easy cocktail recipe that is beloved by those who know it and very much unknown by those who don't. We know here at Salt & Wind Travel we're not all about Kentucky or its bourbon but we love a good cocktail and some of our favorite happen to be bourbon-based.

Ingredients
      ice
      2 ounces good-quality bourbon or your favorite rye whiskey
      1 ounce Cointreau or other orange liqueur
      1/2 ounce sweet vermouth
      1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
      Brandied cherries or lemon peel for garnish

Instructions

Make The Crushed Ice: Wrap a handful of ice cubes in a clean kitchen towel or in a ice bag, and, using a rolling pin or mallet, tap on it until all the ice is broken up and crushed into g****-sized pieces. Place ice in a cocktail glass and set aside.

Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice cubes then add the bourbon (or rye or whiskey), Cointreau, sweet vermouth, and lemon juice. Close and shake until it is thoroughly chilled (almost too cold to touch), at least 20 seconds. Taste and add more lemon if you want it more tart or more Cointreau if you want it sweeter.

Strain the cocktail into the ice-filled cocktail glass, spear a few brandied cherries and a few bits of the lemon peel onto a few cocktail toothpicks and garnish each glass. Serve.

Cheers Putin, you played this very well.

When the world was preoccupied with a Virus (Cough) and Climate change led by a 16-year-old slow girl and all wanted to change to electric and solar you showed who is boss and will clean up on Natural gas and oil and grain.

Well played.

Skippy is still wondering what gender he is.

Comment

Isn't the new APAS guy the clown that said the crop stayed out all winter in southern Sask a few years ago because we weren't equiped to get it off?

Comment

Yep, that's the Genius that is now running APAS so I don't give the organization a pass.

Comment

Would have been better off leaving the position vacant instead of having that ego pretend he has other farmer's best interests in mind.

Comment

Yep, this cold can just blow right outta here. We’ve had enough minus 45 windchills to imprint the importance of fossil fuels on my mind for a long time. It appears that this “ polar vortex” is heading down south as Texas prepares for a temperature plunge from 80 down to near freezing. Cover up those orange and ****fruit trees. 😂

Just east of White City a herd of white tails (about 30) has taken up residence at the Dot farm. Dot or whatever they call themselves now, had late oats planted and there must be something left for the deer to forage. It has been a tough winter so far for the animals. I wouldn’t like to depend only on the sun for heat units, its just too darn cold here. 🥴
              Last edited by sumdumguy; Jan 20, 2022, 08:55.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                Yep, that's the Genius that is now running APAS so I don't give the organization a pass.
                Its pretty easy to see what kind of president APAS has by his cheerleaders. We do not have a real farm group.

And while they cheerleaded Todd Lewis for 6 years as president , can anyone name one thing he did to help the average farmer in those 6 years.

Did he lay the groundwork for any substantial help, 2016 was a fusarium issue, 2019 was a crop left out and 2021 was contract and drought.

It doesn't seem like we ended up with better programs for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                  Yep, this cold can just blow right outta here. We’ve had enough minus 45 windchills to imprint the importance of fossil fuels on my mind for a long time. It appears that this “ polar vortex” is heading down south as Texas is prepares for a temperature plunge from 80 down to near freezing. Cover up those orange and g****fruit trees. 😂

Just east of White City a herd of white tails (about 30) has taken up residence at the Dot farm. Dot or whatever they call themselves now, had late oats planted and there must be something left for the deer to forage. It has been a tough winter so far for the animals. I wouldn’t like to depend only on the sun for heat units, its just too darn cold here. 🥴
                  My one group of sheep is across the road from our yard. To feed them I pull a sled with six buckets of barley by hand. Well yesterday, on my way back up the driveway, head down, my border collie started barking profusely. I look up and there is a young cow moose looking at us about thirty yards away beside the house. So I take a few pictures.

Moose starts running at me, ears back, hackles raised, got to about twenty feet when my flapping arms and yelling turned her and she walked through the garden and stood in the edge of the bush. Got it on video. Went in the house and neighbor was on the phone. That moose had chased her daughter almost two miles on the gravel road and charged her truck, head down ears back. She saw it run into our yard and she called to warn us.

So I grabbed the gun and went out to take care of the situation, as I felt there is for sure something amiss with the moose. But I couldn’t find her, and to be totally honest, standing in the thick bush while darkness was settling in, with a moose with in fifty yards with mental issues, was a bit unnerving to say the least.

I am thankful I had the dog with me. Dragging the sled is kind of loud, and when pulling it my head is down generally, straining you know. Had the dog not gone ballistic, who knows? I would not have know she was there until she was trampling me into the frozen tundra. I don’t like the idea of a deranged moose hanging about the yard, and with bears in the past, I have found from the CO, that if you are being harassed by wildlife, you can pull out all the stops, even doing normally illegal activities to protect your yard and family.

Was interesting to say the least. We have a hundred or so deer coming to eat barley in the bin yard. Finding a lot of sheds. Where those bucks were at hunting season is beyond me. Tough, tough winter for the critters for sure. The combination on deep snow and extreme cold, is begging for some climate change. The animals are hoping for that 1.5 degree temp increase that Chuck and Justin are trying so hard to stop.
                  Last edited by Sheepwheat; Jan 20, 2022, 09:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                    My one group of sheep is across the road from our yard. To feed them I pull a sled with six buckets of barley by hand. Well yesterday, on my way back up the driveway, head down, my border collie started barking profusely. I look up and there is a young cow moose looking at us about thirty yards away beside the house. So I take a few pictures.

Moose starts running at me, ears back, hackles raised.....
                    Whoa, now that's a story for posterity!

Not too many can say they stared down a crazy moose with nothing but an unmotorized sled between.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      It doesn't seem like we ended up with better programs for anything.
                      Umm sorry to say it, but the heads of these farm orgs are mostly ceremonial. These arent lobby groups with cash to fill politicians re-election campaigns. They have no power.

So if Minister bobo cant get an extra dime out of Trudeau for this industry, how would farm groups influence that? Answer is they cant.

I mean you a have a health care system ready to collapse and Trudeau gave no money to that. Why would we think he is going to come with some savior program for an industry he hates.

We are on our own. If the current programs cant do it for your operation, then we need to sit down and do a total risk assessment and plan accordingly. I would bet there is more regulation coming for this industry than any new support dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                        The trucker vaccine mandate shows how out of touch Ottawa really is but if we have a war in Ukraine watch all things go crazy expensive.

Might have to live here.

Where is the 'Balance???'!!!

A 'Pandemic' of 'Academic Vegetation' that is not particularly helpful... faces us all...

Much is being considered in the banning of unvaxed truck drivers crossing the US Canada border when working.

A BBC news article adds to this volume of information... as does recent CDC US recognition that natural immunity protection in unvaccinated people who had Covid, and have active antibodies... is as good as or better than vaccinated people.

Covid: Did Pfizer's boss cast doubt on his own vaccine?
                        By Rachel Schraer
                        Health and disinformation reporter
                        Published13 hours ago