• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gabe Brown

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    Don't conflate poor management and the pitiful economics of cow calf, with the methods being discussed i this thread.

For most of 20 years now, the economics of cow calf haven't justified spending big money on fertilzer and inputs. For many of those years, it was all about survival, there was nothing left to spend on fertilizer. And that begins a downward spiral that is difficult to ever recover from. I doubt it was ever a conscious decision to go without. Unlike your operation where you are harvesting a high value per acre grass seed, that most years easily pays for the inputs.

And if your neighbor is like most around here, almost all of the manure ends up within a few hundred yards of the main farm, the rest deposited in clumps of trees and sloughs. What little ends up back on the fields is inconsequential compared to what has been removed over the decades. That is not remotely close to regenerative ag. Don't compare that to what Gabe is preaching and practicing. The squandered opportunity of many cash strapped cattle operations for the long term sustainability of the land is just sad.
    Great point. Only way I see the cow calf sector surviving in my general area is in a mixed operation, and most herds around have a grain revenue as well. Gabe’s message is integrating the two to make them compliment one another more and make more profit. We ran a lot more cattle 5 years ago on very reasonable grazing and couldn’t justify it. Now we run less than half the cows and use them to complement the grain side. Cost per cow is considerably less than before. My goal is to structure it so there is really no opportunity cost to having a cow herd in a grain operation. More or less the cows are the clean up crew and nutrient cyclers like the microorganisms in the soil.

Comment

This soil is so devoid of minerals that we have to supplement generously, with mineral formulated for this far west, and add Selenium to the salt and mineral at rates well beyond the accepted maximum, and the calves need selenium within a few days of birth. White muscle was a very real problem before that.
      Wow. Being that far west and selenium levels are that low? Selenium deficiency is bad here as well. We have to supplement for that. We are lucky here that our soils though solonetzic and calcareous are quite fertile. Soil tests always indicate low phosphate levels and we always fertilize but feed tests indicate no need for phosphorus supplements. Makes a person wonder if it’s the fertilizer supplying the boost or it’s the natural soil fertility. I really would like to go back 116 years ago to see the land before half and half and tillers messed it up.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
        Great point. Only way I see the cow calf sector surviving in my general area is in a mixed operation, and most herds around have a grain revenue as well. Gabe’s message is integrating the two to make them compliment one another more and make more profit. We ran a lot more cattle 5 years ago on very reasonable grazing and couldn’t justify it. Now we run less than half the cows and use them to complement the grain side. Cost per cow is considerably less than before. My goal is to structure it so there is really no opportunity cost to having a cow herd in a grain operation. More or less the cows are the clean up crew and nutrient cyclers like the microorganisms in the soil.
        Exactly. And if we have any hope of competing with beef from south America where they don't have to start a tractor, we need to apply your model. A stand alone beef operation might have been able to compete back when land was almost free, but we have escalated our costs so high now, that the only way forward is if they eat left overs for as close to free as possible. And there is huge potential for that across the prairies.

We need to look at them as a way to turn inedible, unmarketable, or unharvestable growth into something we can market, and improve the land at the same time, exactly as you are describing.

Comment

And as for vaccines, talk to the old timers about the wrecks they had before vaccinations became common. That was about as close to low intensity holistic livestock farming as possible too.

Comment

Crop rotation including a pulse crop on your good crop land is as sustainable as your going to get. I have a field that had peas in 2020 with a maintenance application of P and S. In 2021 this land got rr canola with a modest application of 230/lb of NPS blend. This land produced 30-40 bu/ac in a drought and soil test levels in late fall are good (60 lb/ac in top 6" of N but does call to continue P applications). In 22 it will get seeded to HRS wheat with a very modest application of fertilizer. In most cases that is as good as it gets. Manure is great if you can get it but it is very expensive to haul. Applied some to a rented field from a buddy's yard across road this fall. I hauled with rented spreader behind my tractor and he loaded with his track loader. Went good until the track loader broke down and now had a rented spreader and no track loader so cost per load going up. He used his front end loader to finish the day but not near as fast as track loader so affected the economics of the whole operation. Neither field has fencing around them so grazing not an economical operation.

Comment

The gabe brown idea takes the manure to the field in the animals. Intensive grazing. Hundreds of thousands of lbs of animals per acre, moving them at least daily. Modifications are made for different areas. Steve Kenyon in Alberta is a good guy to watch as well.

There is so much more to this than a shallow glance. It’s frustrating seeing some of the responses, as it is obvious they aren’t very familiar with the system; it sure is easy to bash it when you don’t have a complete picture.

And that’s ok, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea to have animals.

It’s interesting for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                The gabe brown idea takes the manure to the field in the animals. Intensive grazing. Hundreds of thousands of lbs of animals per acre, moving them at least daily. Modifications are made for different areas. Steve Kenyon in Alberta is a good guy to watch as well.

There is so much more to this than a shallow glance. It’s frustrating seeing some of the responses, as it is obvious they aren’t very familiar with the system; it sure is easy to bash it when you don’t have a complete picture.

It takes time everyday to do this and lets face it most people don not want to be tied down like that .

Comment

Originally posted by tubs View Post
                  It takes time everyday to do this and lets face it most people don not want to be tied down like that .
                  That’s the elephant in the room here. You’re tied down especially with rotational grazing. I’ll never go that far. You’re busy year round. Lake, sports, winter homes etc. Not much of that when you have cows.

Comment

Originally posted by tubs View Post
                    Precisely. But automation allows for more freedom. Automated gate systems with one wire electric are pretty cool.

Saw a system like that online somewhere. A latch can be set to release the gate at set times.

But you’re right it does mainly come down to the TYPE OF PERSON one is! We’re not all like woodland after all. Lol

Comment

It’s aggravating.

“I don’t know about it. I don’t understand it. I’m not interested in it. So obvs it won’t work and I’m going to tell everyone how it won’t work.”

Also the classic you don’t know because you live somewhere else and here is different. Always nice to be hit with that. (FYI I grew up in Manitoba ForageFarmer)

Time is the big kicker, I agree Tubs. I don’t have any interest in tying myself to high density, frequent moves. Summer is kind of time off with only weeklyish pasture checks required! The idea of every day or twice a day moves is blah. But the great thing about that sort of model is you do it however you want, your results might to just happen slower.

At the end of the day it’s completely understandable that not everyone wants to invest the time required. It’s completely understandable that not everyone finds it interesting. It’s completely understandable that not everyone’s debt load will allow them to branch out so far from their current business model.

None of these are supportive reasons for “it won’t work here” though. It won’t work for all people true, but it’s a management style that can be tweaked to work pretty much everywhere. The constant flood of people who aren’t interested or understand it that feel they need to tell people who are how silly they are and what a waste of time it is can be very frustrating and discouraging.

Everyone’s got different priorities in their methods.

Comment

With cow herds there’s two types of operators. Those who are cattlemen/cattlewomen and those who keep cows. There’s a certain skill set and personality which separates the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                          It’s aggravating.

“I don’t know about it. I don’t understand it. I’m not interested in it. So obvs it won’t work and I’m going to tell everyone how it won’t work.”

Also the classic you don’t know because you live somewhere else and here is different. Always nice to be hit with that. (FYI I grew up in Manitoba ForageFarmer)

Time is the big kicker, I agree Tubs. I don’t have any interest in tying myself to high density, frequent moves. Summer is kind of time off with only weeklyish pasture checks required! The idea of every day or twice a day moves is blah. But the great thing about that sort of model is you do it however you want, your results might to just happen slower.

At the end of the day it’s completely understandable that not everyone wants to invest the time required. It’s completely understandable that not everyone finds it interesting. It’s completely understandable that not everyone’s debt load will allow them to branch out so far from their current business model.

None of these are supportive reasons for “it won’t work here” though. It won’t work for all people true, but it’s a management style that can be tweaked to work pretty much everywhere. The constant flood of people who aren’t interested or understand it that feel they need to tell people who are how silly they are and what a waste of time it is can be very frustrating and discouraging.

Everyone’s got different priorities in their methods.
                          And beyond that, there is the expectation that it has to be all or nothing. In reality, we can take bits and pieces out of every system and improve incrementally. One cross fence and rotating once per years is still better than no cross fence. Having your neighbor feed 50 cows on your stubble for half the winter is still better than no cows on the place

Comment

Precisely. But automation allows for more freedom. Automated gate systems with one wire electric are pretty cool.

Saw a system like that online somewhere. A latch can be set to release the gate at set times.

But you’re right it does mainly come down to the TYPE OF PERSON one is! We’re not all like woodland after all. Lol
                            And the ultimate in automation will be wireless fences programmed into GPS collars on cows to make rotational grazing effortless. Could graze stubble or potholes etc. without needing fences. IMagine being able to graze all the waste land on some of the really broken up farmland with just a single cow trail betwee them, and no fences to work around. Just audible warning beeps when the cow goes the wrong way, which turns into a shock if she doesn't heed the beeping. Train one cow, and it wouldn't be hard to get the rest to learn the system. Or sheep or goats etc.

Comment

Taking this the other direction.
                              I'm mostly raising grain for animal feed( feed wheat ad feed barley), even half of the canola ends up as meal being fed to an animal.
                              Yet as I noted above, I can't make the economics of feeding cows directly work at these land and input prices. Yet somehow, I can spend all the fuel and equipment and labour to harvest the grain, and ship it across the province where someone else processes it, maybe trucks it again, and feeds it to livestock.

So, In theory, it should be possible to feed the livestock directly off the land and make even more.

Is anyone doing high input cattle agriculture, and making more per acre than grain?

Seeding the best more productive land for grazing, lots of fertilizer, species that will produce all spring, summer and fall, and stay palatable in the off season, really micro managing the production.

Is it lack of desire to try it, and pour the $'s into grazing land, or is it just not possible to gross the same $ per acre with grass/legumes so we don't do it?

In theory, we can grow some spectacular hay crops out here, 10 bales/acre in one cutting isn't unheard of. What is unheard of is heavy hay crops being put up in good condition so that it is worth anything in the end. It takes so long to cure a heavy crop, that it inevitably is ruined by rains by the time it is baled. Silage and silage bales being great for feeding your own livestock, but not very marketable.

Comment

Taking this the other direction.
                                I'm mostly raising grain for animal feed( feed wheat ad feed barley), even half of the canola ends up as meal being fed to an animal.
                                Yet as I noted above, I can't make the economics of feeding cows directly work at these land and input prices. Yet somehow, I can spend all the fuel and equipment and labour to harvest the grain, and ship it across the province where someone else processes it, maybe trucks it again, and feeds it to livestock.

So, In theory, it should be possible to feed the livestock directly off the land and make even more.

Is anyone doing high input cattle agriculture, and making more per acre than grain?

Seeding the best more productive land for grazing, lots of fertilizer, species that will produce all spring, summer and fall, and stay palatable in the off season, really micro managing the production.

Is it lack of desire to try it, and pour the $'s into grazing land, or is it just not possible to gross the same $ per acre with grass/legumes so we don't do it?

In theory, we can grow some spectacular hay crops out here, 10 bales/acre in one cutting isn't unheard of. What is unheard of is heavy hay crops being put up in good condition so that it is worth anything in the end. It takes so long to cure a heavy crop, that it inevitably is ruined by rains by the time it is baled. Silage and silage bales being great for feeding your own livestock, but not very marketable.
                                I don’t know if you’ve seen or heard of it but there is a confined cattle system called hoop beef. More or less you keep your cattle under roof most of the time. Places like Iowa where land costs are dear and corn stover plentiful people are setting up such systems for feeding calves and even cow-calf. System also touts feed savings from keeping cattle out of adverse weather.

Funny how we discuss doing things like swath grazing and Gabe brown regenerative methods to save money but can pivot and justify high intensity systems which can also be efficient in taking advantage of certain synergies. Agriculture isn’t a one system works for everywhere business.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.