• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gabe Brown

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    Very well said.
    You hit the nail on the head with the comments about gross per acre and growth.
    If your Grandpa was the last one who had to buy the land in your operation, and you have no inention or need to expand beyond that, then the economics of paying for land at todays prices are irrelevant, and you can do whatever you like.
    As a still mixed up farmer, but almost out of cattle now, in recent years, no matter how I run the numbers, there is no way cattle can compare to the net or gross profit per acre ( on acres fit for crops).

I see all of the benefits of mixing livestock and grain, I think that is the direction the industry needs to go to keep our livestock industry profitable. The only silver bullet I have found to make this ground start to produce after decades of neglect is copious amounts of manure. But since I have had to buy all my land, mostly at arms length full market values, there is no way in he** I can pay for it using it for pasture or hay.
    But maybe I'm doing it wrong.
    Land in my area is trading for $5000 an acre and up. It doesn’t pencil for crops or cattle, but doing the math crops have a much better chance. Back grounding my calves right now, putting the 6lbs. Per head per day of ground barley just makes me shake my head, simply avoid doing the math lol.

Comment

Great discussion.
      So how do All farms get off the treadmill.
      And who is going to buy all that beef?
      A huge macro reset maybe.

A Jeffersonian like ag economy may require proximity to urban centers that doesn't apply to the great plains.
      Especially N of the 49th.
      A solution for all acres hard to visualize. One picture asks what it will look like without base stock for our current N fertilizers. Large territory back to grass the only answer currently.
      A futuristic mental work out.

Water will be the first key.
      Soil-less food factories will be near the water source and near the urban base.
      Eventually I see the buffalo coming back up here.

Nutrient cycle sustainability the other.
      Eventually energy in has to equal energy out. New technologies required.

I'm confident it will work out.
      And that in 100 years it will look very different. And no one will know who we were.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
        Great discussion.
        So how do All farms get off the treadmill.
        And who is going to buy all that beef?
        A huge macro reset maybe.

A Jeffersonian like ag economy may require proximity to urban centers that doesn't apply to the great plains.
        Especially N of the 49th.
        A solution for all acres hard to visualize. One picture asks what it will look like without base stock for our current N fertilizers. Large territory back to grass the only answer currently.
        A futuristic mental work out.

Water will be the first key.
        Soil-less food factories will be near the water source and near the urban base.
        Eventually I see the buffalo coming back up here.

Nutrient cycle sustainability the other.
        Eventually energy in has to equal energy out. New technologies required.

I'm confident it will work out.
        And that in 100 years it will look very different. And no one will know who we were.
        The Buffalo are already back. I had a herd of 100 that stopped over in one of my quarters last winter, in the middle of their stampede across the landscape. Apparently the absentee owners thought cattle fences would be enough to keep them in the muskeg without hay for the winter. As it turns out, they don't even slow down when they go through fences.

As to your questions, I think the only low energy, low input solution is moving the populations to where the food is grown, since the other option obviously cannot be done. And I doubt anyone wants to move from their coastal climate to the northern prairies just so they can claim to be sustainable. Not to mention the energy requirements of living in a cold sparse, climate with such weather extremes, compared to the mild places they will move from.

Comment

I always enjoy a drive down AB hwy # 41.
          From N to S it's a window on what was and always will be. And likely again for a lot more.

The food will always be moved to the population.

Comment

How did you get rid of the Buffalo?
            I had a similar situation shortly after BSE when buffalo had virtualy no value. They shot them off as they were happy there with lots of feed.
            Can't herd buffalo if they don't want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
              How did you get rid of the Buffalo?
              I had a similar situation shortly after BSE when buffalo had virtualy no value. They shot them off as they were happy there with lots of feed.
              Can't herd buffalo if they don't want to go.
              Not sure, I missed the entire rodeo, while I was working a few miles away. I know they went a few miles further and through a few more fences before they got them turned around. Many people on quads and side by sides, and a lot of fun is all I know.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                I always enjoy a drive down AB hwy # 41.
                From N to S it's a window on what was and always will be. And likely again for a lot more.

The food will always be moved to the population.
                I particularly like the signs saying "no fuel/services for next 150km". Honestly i can't recall if they are still there or not, but man you get to see a little of everything on the drive from elk point to the havre border crossing! Just hope you 're well stocked for the drive cause theres a few stretches there where the deer/elk/antelope are pissed that you're touring through their sanctuary.

We're just west of 41, and south of 9, and to the discussion about gabe brown, I must say I'm a believer in the idea of keeping a living root in the soil. The only issue with this particular kneck of the woods, is that those roots had better get darned used to being dormant for 10+ months of the year. Because of that, the completely virgin prairie (of which there is still plenty), is in a sense monoculture. It consists largely of wide open, uninterrupted grass! Now of course, there are multiple varieties of said grass, but other than that there are only a few wild roses, crocuses, buckbrush, and buffalo beans that dot the landscape. When palliser went through here, I'm pretty sure he stopped in the back 40 and having witnessed the gaunt nature of the wildlife, said "this area shall never support human endeavors". He wasn't terribly far off the mark. Give me water and I'd explore a whole lot of these possibilities, but when june is the only semi-reliable month for moisture around here, and the only month that natural species flower and produce seed, I figure I'm stretching the limits by asking for 50-60 days of tolerable, and another 40 of broken dreams commencing somewhere around Calgary stampede.
                Last edited by helmsdale; Dec 15, 2021, 17:16.

Comment

We used to go from Val Marie to hyway 41 and down to Havre when driving to nowhere on a preharvest tour/getaway from the farm.
                  Only place I ever saw with texas gates on a paved hyway with no fences going west there.
                  At that time it was all cattle on the Canadian side but lots of crop when you got to the boarder going south. Difference in programs I guess.

Comment

So Gabe Brown tells the story of how he had four years of crop failures due to WEATHER in the 1990's made him decide he had to do things differently. Not sure how the soil was at fault for that.

Gabe farms in Bismark ND. and who knows what type of USA government subsidies he receives. A quick google indicates he goes on many speeking tours which I'm sure he gets paid for. Gabe received the $250000.00 Heinz Award just last month. Maybe he has access to CRP land for grazing who knows he farms in the USA. Who knows what other little hand outs Gabe gets, different country. I'm sure book sales don't hurt either.

In the early 2000's when Canadian beef industry was suffering from poor prices due to BSE, Gabe was getting top dollar for old culled cows. How many years was he able to capitalize on the high beef prices in the USA?

So good for him, I farm 500 miles from Bismark ND. and are not a "Cookie Cutter" operator as some have stated for using fertilizer. I will continue to put the fertilizer on my forage crops especially the grasses for seed production so the three families who make their living off our farm can continue to farm and prosper . Have any of you tried to grow grasses for seed production without fertilizer and seen what your yields are?

The straw by-product from our forage seed production is baled by four cow-calf operators who come from distances up to 60 miles to bale. One of them is one of the biggest cow-calf producers in all of Manitoba. He also has 100s of acres of Silage corn to feed his enormous herd. Can't seem to feed the cows on unfertilized land for some reason.

These cow calf guys are getting three to four big rounds per acre from our combined straw. This year less due to drought. Meanwhile the local cow calf guy who hasn't spend a cent on fertilizer in years and spreads his shit on the land has to bale for two miles in order to get one big round. He has thousands of acres of hay land just to look after his 100 cow calf operation. Even the Alfalfa has died off, that shouldn't be happening if the soil is looking after it's self. That's efficiency all right burning fuel and wearing out equipment.

I will continue to use fertilizer and get productive yields , as well as take care of my land.

Comment

You may not cookie cutter fertilize ForageFarmer, but you sure have a cookie cutter response to the kind of approaches Gabe uses.

FYI soil has been shown to be much more resilient to drought under some management practices than others. That is the direction Gabe took. Nothing to do with blaming soil, all about altering the soils abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                        You may not cookie cutter fertilize ForageFarmer, but you sure have a cookie cutter response to the kind of approaches Gabe uses.

FYI soil has been shown to be much more resilient to drought under some management practices than others. That is the direction Gabe took. Nothing to do with blaming soil, all about altering the soils abilities.
                        This is what I printed

"So good for him, I farm 500 miles from Bismark ND."

I farm in Manitoba you farm in Alberta.

Worlds apart just like Gabe is from me, but if Gabe's method works for go right ahead.

Gabe did say he also lost crop during those years to hail
                        Last edited by foragefarmer; Dec 16, 2021, 11:57.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
                          Typical of so many facets in life, if you can’t make a living doing something, go teach others how it’s done…
                          That is my concern, keeping me from pursuing the same business model as Gabe, I'm afraid the speaker circuit is getting crowded, and I may not be able to make enough that way to keep the farm afloat.

Comment

FWIW any of these gurus as you might call them have some good information and stuff which doesn’t apply to your situation or is complete bullshit. I don’t think I am going to farm without fertilizer, herbicide, or cattle vaccines. It is proven science that has worked to bring billions out of starvation. I look at my situation where I have some land which without cattle in the mix is not profitable. I would like to make better use of this ground even such and reduce my risk. Gabe’s basic message about armouring the soil with trash and zero tillage, and improving soil biology with diverse covers and grazing is really a no brainer here. However, past that that the message gets a bit hippy dippy. He doesn’t vaccinate anything and claims there’s enough basic minerals in the soil which are made available by good soil biology. Mining is mining and I have an acute disdain for those who don’t vaccinate their herds and spread their stupid diseases around the country.

By the way Buffalo are the biggest reservoir for brucellosis. Keep those bloody things locked up.
                            Last edited by WiltonRanch; Dec 16, 2021, 12:39. Reason: More info

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                              So Gabe Brown tells the story of how he had four years of crop failures due to WEATHER in the 1990's made him decide he had to do things differently. Not sure how the soil was at fault for that.

Gabe farms in Bismark ND. and who knows what type of USA government subsidies he receives. A quick google indicates he goes on many speeking tours which I'm sure he gets paid for. Gabe received the $250000.00 Heinz Award just last month. Maybe he has access to CRP land for grazing who knows he farms in the USA. Who knows what other little hand outs Gabe gets, different country. I'm sure book sales don't hurt either.

In the early 2000's when Canadian beef industry was suffering from poor prices due to BSE, Gabe was getting top dollar for old culled cows. How many years was he able to capitalize on the high beef prices in the USA?

So good for him, I farm 500 miles from Bismark ND. and are not a "Cookie Cutter" operator as some have stated for using fertilizer. I will continue to put the fertilizer on my forage crops especially the grasses for seed production so the three families who make their living off our farm can continue to farm and prosper . Have any of you tried to grow grasses for seed production without fertilizer and seen what your yields are?

The straw by-product from our forage seed production is baled by four cow-calf operators who come from distances up to 60 miles to bale. One of them is one of the biggest cow-calf producers in all of Manitoba. He also has 100s of acres of Silage corn to feed his enormous herd. Can't seem to feed the cows on unfertilized land for some reason.

These cow calf guys are getting three to four big rounds per acre from our combined straw. This year less due to drought. Meanwhile the local cow calf guy who hasn't spend a cent on fertilizer in years and spreads his shit on the land has to bale for two miles in order to get one big round. He has thousands of acres of hay land just to look after his 100 cow calf operation. Even the Alfalfa has died off, that shouldn't be happening if the soil is looking after it's self. That's efficiency all right burning fuel and wearing out equipment.

I will continue to use fertilizer and get productive yields , as well as take care of my land.
                              Don't conflate poor management and the pitiful economics of cow calf, with the methods being discussed i this thread.

For most of 20 years now, the economics of cow calf haven't justified spending big money on fertilzer and inputs. For many of those years, it was all about survival, there was nothing left to spend on fertilizer. And that begins a downward spiral that is difficult to ever recover from. I doubt it was ever a conscious decision to go without. Unlike your operation where you are harvesting a high value per acre grass seed, that most years easily pays for the inputs.

And if your neighbor is like most around here, almost all of the manure ends up within a few hundred yards of the main farm, the rest deposited in clumps of trees and sloughs. What little ends up back on the fields is inconsequential compared to what has been removed over the decades. That is not remotely close to regenerative ag. Don't compare that to what Gabe is preaching and practicing. The squandered opportunity of many cash strapped cattle operations for the long term sustainability of the land is just sad.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                                FWIW any of these gurus as you might call them have some good information and stuff which doesn’t apply to your situation or is complete bullshit. I don’t think I am going to farm without fertilizer, herbicide, or cattle vaccines. It is proven science that has worked to bring billions out of starvation. I look at my situation where I have some land which without cattle in the mix is not profitable. I would like to make better use of this ground even such and reduce my risk. Gabe’s basic message about armouring the soil with trash and zero tillage, and improving soil biology with diverse covers and grazing is really a no brainer here. However, past that that the message gets a bit hippy dippy. He doesn’t vaccinate anything and claims there’s enough basic minerals in the soil which are made available by good soil biology. Mining is mining and I have an acute disdain for those who don’t vaccinate their herds and spread their stupid diseases around the country.

By the way Buffalo are the biggest reservoir for brucellosis. Keep those bloody things locked up.
                                This soil is so devoid of minerals that we have to supplement generously, with mineral formulated for this far west, and add Selenium to the salt and mineral at rates well beyond the accepted maximum, and the calves need selenium within a few days of birth. White muscle was a very real problem before that.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.