• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mustard - Inelastic demand

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mustard - Inelastic demand

its going to be a shi@show for the next 10 months ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	AGRIV MUST.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	779699

Metric tonnes - all classes

1976 35,300
    1979 49,900
    2021 49,955
    1975 50,200
    1972 68,800
    1982 76,500
    1977 79,300
    1971 84,200
    1983 86,400
    1980 90,700

Can they print mustard seed, like fake beef?

What other country can Canada import mustard from?

Comment

So for mustard, like oats and flax, the price of the raw ingredient doesn't
      'really' matter, what is most important is if it available. When there is lots processors simply make more money.
      you would think that after 40+ years I would have figured this out by now.

Comment

How well does mustard store? Is it about as volatile as canola? It looks like you would rarely have to hold more than a few years before there would be a short crop and high prices. The price swings that I have heard about would pay for a bin in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          How well does mustard store? Is it about as volatile as canola? It looks like you would rarely have to hold more than a few years before there would be a short crop and high prices. The price swings that I have heard about would pay for a bin in a hurry.
          We have stored mustard for 8 years
          If in good condition one could store it as long as canary seed ?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
            Cross contamination with Canola is a significant issue. New clean land that did not have canola before the best... [canola can last 20 years in the soil 'weed' bank...] many less weed control options...lower yield, many reasons it is not in the rotations of well over 90 % of grain farms.

Cheers

Comment

Im still calculating the TVM over 8 years.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                Neighbor decided to sell his farm.

Informed his neighbor who had been short on storage, eight years earlier, that it was time he removed his yellow mustard, or it would go with his farm. The mustard owner never closed the bin lid from day one, never checked the contents in the time frame, but the weather and the flying rats had on a regular basis.

We all laughed at the struggle the mustard owner would have removing the rot.

Well, sunshine smiles on some farmers. He skimmed the pigeon shit, and the bin of mustard flowed out like it had been placed in it, yesterday.

John Galt, you screwed up royally on your mustard management plan!

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                  Cross contamination with Canola is a significant issue. New clean land that did not have canola before the best... [canola can last 20 years in the soil 'weed' bank...] many less weed control options...lower yield, many reasons it is not in the rotations of well over 90 % of grain farms.

Cheers
                  Indeed.

Only option to knock canola out is color sort. That takes 3-5% of your mustard with it if you're sitting at .5-1% like i was after 2018. Being that canola can seriously out yield mustard, it doesnt take alot of volunteers to make 5-10% of your sample canola, and then you're going to have a real struggle separating. You can take a certain amount of large mustard out of the sample, thereby concentrating the canola, but I can't imagine how difficult it would be to take 15-20% canola out. Worst part is canola is dockage in mustard, and mustard is dockage in canola, so your dockage is basically fuel for a grain burner at best.

If you have buckwheat, you're going to hate your life. I surely hate mine when I get into a crop of mustard thats right full of buckwheat. ZERO control options!

With regards to the rest of the weeds, the best you can do is EDGE. And most years it leaves me wondering what the point was. I seem to spend the 3 years in between mustard getting control of all the shit that got away in the mustard year. This year will be the only year I have not essentially cleaned EVERY bushel of mustard to commercial standards... Only reason being is they are so damned desparate for it, that there is little spread from a 1 to a 2 or even a 3.

Yield? on stubble, (at least in my area) a hummer would be something that starts with a 2. I've never done it. Best was a 17bu crop with something like 5% dockage in the form of weeds. That year canola probably ran around 40 +/- 5. This year it managed 6, with neighboring canola anywhere from 8 to just shy of 20.

Nearly every winter I threaten to quit growing the stuff. And then every spring I seem to still put some in the drill. It works here... kind of...

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...
                  X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                  You agree to our and by clicking I agree.