• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fertilizer to conservative's questions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the solution bucket? Price controls. If they do that to fertilizer, they can do it for canola too.

They may be gouging, who knows, but price is always the signal for a correction.

Farmers are jizzing themselves over these crop prices. Some land just traded for $900K a quarter near me.

IMO chasing the tops is not a smart strategy. We ordered what we could for a still reasonable price. If its still that high next year, a different production plan will be needed.

And we should be getting prepared for the feds fertilizer mandate. We cant fight anything in this country, so best be prepared for it.

Comment

There is an incredible difference between fertilizer production and canola production.

Fertilizer can be made every day with no impact from rain wind heat cold dry.

Incredible difference.
      Last edited by bucket; Dec 4, 2021, 14:17.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        There is an incredible difference between fertilizer production and canola production.

Ferilzercam be made every day with no impact from rain wind heat cold dry.

Incredible difference.
        But in this day and age, facts dont matter, feelings do. And there are only a couple hundred thousand farmers and 37M people who buy groceries.

If the narrative gets going that farmers are to blame, just like oil companies are for energy, then the clueless voter will win that argument everytime.

I dont think we should open that door to price controls. That could blowback badly.

I asked my ag rep what would be the consequences of going back to back lentils one year. 25% yield reduction and at least another pass of fungicide. That might be a better options for some than laying out 1500 for urea now.

Comment

One of the election planks of the Federal Liberals was to increase Agricultural exports. I am very curious how they believe we can increase agricultural production and at the same time decrease fertilizer use by 30% at the same time?!

Comment

And there are only a couple hundred thousand farmers and 37M people who buy groceries.

Probably divide that number by 10 to get the number who really buy any amount of fertilizer.

Comment

I just wish my soil test levels where the same as the 2 1/4's where the cow nutrients are spread for the rest of the farm. Question does anybody know somebody that works at a fert plant that hasn't been working all summer-fall because they were shut down not producing ?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                Whats the solution bucket? Price controls. If they do that to fertilizer, they can do it for canola too.

They may be gouging, who knows, but price is always the signal for a correction.

Farmers are jizzing themselves over these crop prices. Some land just traded for $900K a quarter near me.
                Is that in Sherwood?

Comment

Originally posted by oldjim View Post
                  Is that in Sherwood?
                  Bingo. Land isn’t even being listed anymore. BTOs sneaking around in the dead of night making mafia style offers on dirt.

Maybe Errol can tell us about the leverage in ag someday.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    Bingo. Land isn’t even being listed anymore. BTOs sneaking around in the dead of night making mafia style offers on dirt.

Maybe Errol can tell us about the leverage in ag someday.
                    We get calls regularly IF we might sell/rent....ooh sellers market! All local sales were never listed, just on a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      Forage , your comment

In fact I stated on a couple of Fertilizer threads on Agriville in early September that my dealer was warning about a Fertilizer shortage and that prices were going to go through the roof.

They say that every year.

And why didn't the retails load up at 700bucks?And improve their margins to resell at 900 or higher?

Some retails sitting empty so did they really believe the story?
                      Other than in 2008 when has fertilizer prices ever been cheaper in spring than they were the past fall?

So the clueless retailers who were sitting with their fingers up their ass with no inventory and thought the upcoming Fertilizer shortages and strong demand for this upcoming spring was B.S this go around are to blame? Doesn't sound logical if they tell you every fall Fertilizer prices will be higher in the spring.

At the end of the day it's no sweat off the Fertilizer dealer's back if they now have to buy Urea at $1000.00/tonne and then turn around and sell it to you for $1200.00/tonne, they still make their margin regardless of their purchasing price. They know you'll pay.

Do you deal with the same Fertilizer retailer every year or do you bounce from one to the other every fall/spring?

I'm certainly not defending the Fertilizer dealers or I'm I happy that I and other farmers are having to pay these outrageous prices one year to the next. If you don't look after yourself quite frankly nobody gives a F uck if you as a farmer survive or go broke, most of your neighbors are waiting.

Comment

Forage did you buy it in 10 lb bag or 5lb

Your special

Sept buy wasn’t that big of savings and amonia no one would sell any

Comment

Everyone’s always smarter after the fact .... well not always .
                          Hind sight is 20/20
                          This is the most unique situation in my 30 year stint
                          Everyone has different circumstances, this year far more than usual.
                          Do what you can this year , next year may be far worse with these huge increases in inputs .

Comment

Possibly some won’t buy till they see what crop insurance looks like. If dry conditions continue through winter and spring you might just see very few lbs of fert going into the ground.
                            I don’t believe there will be a shortage. Like bucket said there will be lots pulses and most land is full of nutrients. I know one guy with 80 lbs N left, put little N and some P and giver.

Comment

Originally posted by BTO780 View Post
                              Possibly some won’t buy till they see what crop insurance looks like. If dry conditions continue through winter and spring you might just see very few lbs of fert going into the ground.
                              I don’t believe there will be a shortage. Like bucket said there will be lots pulses and most land is full of nutrients. I know one guy with 80 lbs N left, put little N and some P and giver.
                              If rains come a basic fertility package will grow decent crops on a lot of acres. It’s the next year that can hurt when put on your miners’ helmet. At least I’ve found on my ground it’s not what you do the year of but the year before or past years before that. That goes for good and bad practices.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                                If rains come a basic fertility package will grow decent crops on a lot of acres. It’s the next year that can hurt when put on your miners’ helmet. At least I’ve found on my ground it’s not what you do the year of but the year before or past years before that. That goes for good and bad practices.
                                We have a steep learning curve... of how to show in a positive manner, how we can be responsible stewards of our soil health ... as the average Canadian consumer has been brainwashed into believing that organic grain production is 'sustainable' and 'healthy' for western Canadian agriculture.

Which causes me real fear when SF blows off steam saying we all will go broke as conventional grain growers... because we apply massive amounts of chemical fertilizers... which are 'uneconomic' 'unsustainable' because application rates used on the average western Canadian grain farm are obviously high and are being wasteful.

Pulse seed costs will come close to being double the cost for many farmers in 2022 than that of 2021 with just the pea seed costing well over $75/ac or over $100/ac... with treatments to prevent root fungus diseases [lower germ seed much more costly if 25-30% more needed than normal(2certified germination is as low as 70%) ]. A pulse reck is often the result of half the plant stand needed because of poor germ and low seeding rate... then weeds can take over...

2022 cereal seed costs will only be up 30% in many cases... because seed sizes are 30-50% smaller in the 2021 seed crop in dry areas... meaning less seed needed to get the same plants per sq ft. Most cereal germs/vigour well over 95%.]

High soluble P application can be reduced by 30-40%... and still have the same available P for the plant in the year of application... if seed placed and low salt formulation.

There will be big changes for some farmers... no doubt... high fertilizer cost reduces applied rates in short order... for those who are still using conventional traditional high rates and application methods that have been less than optimal in plant absorption efficiency. 20% increase in plant absorption efficiency = 20% savings... in 2022 that is big $$$!

How many Fert suppliers want to show you how to grow the same crop... with 25% less fertilizer SF?

Cheers
                                Last edited by TOM4CWB; Dec 5, 2021, 03:58.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...