• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Climate Tab

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climate Tab

I assume climate change is still a topic since chuck survived the purge.

Anyway, here is your daily dose of ESG cold water.

Let me tally that for you. The average cost of a hydro dam is around 10-12B. Same as a nuke plant. I know physics isnt a strong suit for the climate crowd, but hopefully they can do basic addition - I count 1.5 trillion...LOL

Canada will go broke chasing this fantasy. Maybe thats what they want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cc33.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	779697

[QUOTE=jazz;519973]I assume climate change is still a topic since chuck survived the purge.

Are you sure he survived? I see he hasn't posted for 5 days now. You can almost feel the collective IQ of the forum growing in his absence. And I see more and more names coming out of the woodwork without the incessant trolling.

It would be hard to argue that climate ( and changes within), and energy policies (particaularly ethanol and biodiesel, and farmland converted to solar or wind generation) aren't intimately entwined with marketing. As opposed to say posting endlessly about the effectiveness of Ivermectin on a virus, I find that information not useful for deciding when to market my grain.

Comment

Gone gone gone

Comment

Maybe a second coming under a brand new name, reborn again and again...

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          I assume climate change is still a topic since chuck survived the purge.

Anyway, here is your daily dose of ESG cold water.

Let me tally that for you. The average cost of a hydro dam is around 10-12B. Same as a nuke plant. I know physics isnt a strong suit for the climate crowd, but hopefully they can do basic addition - I count 1.5 trillion...LOL

Canada will go broke chasing this fantasy. Maybe thats what they want.

[ATTACH]9301[/ATTACH]
          I think if we are going more electric the only answer is nuclear power all the renewables are intermittent power. If we go all electric in transportation heating houses etc than there will be no choice. I hope that they save the fossil fuel for us farmers because most of us are in remote locations and make as a rule longer trips. EV has to become alot more efficient to make that work for us.

Comment

So the impact of climate change has no costs? Tell that to the folks in BC.

2021 has proven to be the wrong year to argue that human caused climate change is not an issue to be concerned about.

But don't let that stop you from droning on that the status quo is the way of the future and nothing will ever change. LOL

Comment

Why not move all the social issues and politics to rural issues? There would be very few posts left in commodity marketing.

The republican "libertarian" separatists don't want any views that don't agree with theirs! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post

2021 has proven to be the wrong year to argue that human caused climate change is not an issue to be concerned about.

But don't let that stop you from droning on that the status quo is the way of the future and nothing will ever change. LOL
                Have a look at this for a better understanding of the problems they have in the Fraser valley;

https://www.theprogress.com/news/valley-dikes-too-low-to-withstand-major-fraser-river-flood/

Comment

Where will Canada get $1.5T dollars from chuck? Can we get that from carbon taxes or just print it up. LOL

Canada will be back to empty tundra by the time the woke climate cult is done.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post

When we have record breaking cold temperatures like in February 2021, it is just weather. When we have record breaking rain in B.C. It is climate change. I did hear an amusing blurb on the news this morning, I believe it was in Denmark, some customers and employees had to spend the night in an IKEA store due to heavy snowfall. More weather.
                    Last edited by Hamloc; Dec 2, 2021, 09:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                      When we have record breaking cold temperatures like in February 2021, it is just weather. When we have record breaking rain in B.C. It is climate change. I did hear an amusing blurb on the news this morning, I believe it was in Denmark, some customers and employees had to spend the night in an IKEA store due to heavy snowfall. More weather.
                      The entire concept of record breaking weather is such a grossly misleading misnomer. We have give or take 100 years of incomplete and largely inconsistent weather records in much of western Canada. That represents less than 1% out of the approximately 10,000+ year interglacial that we are currently in. And out of the ~ 200 million years that North America has held its current shape and position(roughly), our records represent 0.00005% of the weather.
                      Our understanding of the paleoclimate data does not have the granularity to indicate record breaking single events in most cases.

This would be like looking at a chart of 1 minute of the Dow yesterday and extrapolating that snippet to assume that it represents the entire range of possible valuations since the beginning of the index, and extending indefinitely into the future.

Further complicating matters is the trend we are in. We started recording weather events at the end of the little ice age, the coldest period for ~8000 years, of almost the entire interglacial period. Making the earlier records almost completely irrelevant to today as we bounce back to something closer to long term average temperatures.

No better evidence of our almost complete ignorance of the range of possible weather phenomenon than the events which just transpired in BC. I am quite certain that the railroad and highway engineers used all the available weather data to establish a worst case scenario for rainfall and flooding to build their infrastructure to withstand that. The problem being that they only have a window on a minute spec of time to base those calculations. And they underestimated natures potential. So now, while the armchair pundits like Chuck will blame it all on climate change, the actual engineers will add this scenario to our collective knowledge and to the range of known possible weather, and design infrastructure accordingly.

And regardless of our best intentions, the mountains are slowly and inexorably eroding away, and will inevitably take all of our infrastructure with them, regardless of how much engineering we do, and what steps we take to combat climate change.

Comment

Of course there is climate change!
                        When I was a kid this low spot was full of huge popular trees. Some that were at least 24-30 inch diameter. My guess it would take 50-60 years to grow that big. I walked through that spot many times as a youngster marveling at the size of the trees and never any water in that spot other than a few days in the spring. The climate changed right around 2004 when it turned colder and wetter and stayed that way for the next 18 years. Water stayed there all summer and you could not walk through there with out hip waders. All the big trees died and nothing new grew up other than slew grass,
                        Kind of think the climate is starting to change again and the whole process will start over with young saplings coming up but will take many years without endless flooding to get as big as they were in 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          The entire concept of record breaking weather is such a grossly misleading misnomer. We have give or take 100 years of incomplete and largely inconsistent weather records in much of western Canada. That represents less than 1% out of the approximately 10,000+ year interglacial that we are currently in. And out of the ~ 200 million years that North America has held its current shape and position(roughly), our records represent 0.00005% of the weather.
                          Our understanding of the paleoclimate data does not have the granularity to indicate record breaking single events in most cases.

This would be like looking at a chart of 1 minute of the Dow yesterday and extrapolating that snippet to assume that it represents the entire range of possible valuations since the beginning of the index, and extending indefinitely into the future.

Further complicating matters is the trend we are in. We started recording weather events at the end of the little ice age, the coldest period for ~8000 years, of almost the entire interglacial period. Making the earlier records almost completely irrelevant to today as we bounce back to something closer to long term average temperatures.

No better evidence of our almost complete ignorance of the range of possible weather phenomenon than the events which just transpired in BC. I am quite certain that the railroad and highway engineers used all the available weather data to establish a worst case scenario for rainfall and flooding to build their infrastructure to withstand that. The problem being that they only have a window on a minute spec of time to base those calculations. And they underestimated natures potential. So now, while the armchair pundits like Chuck will blame it all on climate change, the actual engineers will add this scenario to our collective knowledge and to the range of known possible weather, and design infrastructure accordingly.

And regardless of our best intentions, the mountains are slowly and inexorably eroding away, and will inevitably take all of our infrastructure with them, regardless of how much engineering we do, and what steps we take to combat climate change.
                          I’m ignorant to the exact location of present infrastructure through the mountains vs the original. I would imagine some is in the same places where at the time it was built engineers knowledge was that much more limited. People’s knowledge changes more than anything, and what we infer today could turn out to be wrong tomorrow. It is often said we know more about space than what is at the bottom of our oceans or the biological activity of our soils. To sit and jump up and down about climate change like chicken little every time there is a weather related disaster is the zeitgeist as was it being the gods were mad and was deemed necessary a sacrifice was made in antiquity. Science and knowledge changes but humans don’t.

Comment

“…regardless of our best intentions, the mountains are slowly and inexorably eroding away, and will inevitably take all of our infrastructure with them, regardless of how much engineering we do, and what steps we take to combat climate change.”

‘Climate Change’ is a means to an end that is a notion that has no standards, unending possibilities of fear, chaos, guilt trips, and endless excuses to spend future generations into poverty.

The other alternative is to excuse our government’s economic ignorance with a financial economics that “Reset” the global debt of those who now compose the World Economic Forum… at the cost of the rest of humanity that has no voice nor opportunity to object to this perverse view of civilization.

Everyone farming globally could produce 30% less food.

30% less crop inputs (Canada’s Federal 2030 commitment) mandated by COP 26 World Economic Forum Club of Rome elite…instituted globally has an end that canceled the food supply for 30% of humanity.

This insane 30% across the board de-commissioning of Canadian farms, a commitment by the Federal Government of Canada with out consultation with Canadians or a parliamentary majority vote to enforce this mandate … is absurd and dangerous.

Cheers

Comment

Seldomseen, I see the exact same thing happening here too. Except from what I understand the change here occurred in the late 50s, then really got wet again starting 1990. All the big lowland areas here were hayed consistently prior to that then were impassable for decades. Supposedly the roads going through and blocking drainage was part of the cause. But it happened even where there are no roads.
                              But all of the big swamps around here have stumps and old dead trees that are 10 times bigger than anything that has attempted to grow back in recent decades. Poplar and spruce before, nothing but stunted tamarack or swamp spruce now.
                              I'm doing some digging in peat moss right now, and the evidence of drastic changes including dry periods and massive floods are interspersed throughout the layers as you go down through the peat Moss. You can see how the vegetation has changed throughout the millenia. Can see how it went from lake bottom to trees back to swamp back to lake back to trees over and over again.
                              Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Dec 2, 2021, 12:58.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...