• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competing against the government

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Retired View Post
    Sure is nice to see you are all SAINTS and only trying to feed the hoi-ploi (aka as the un washed masses) and has nothing to do with greed.
    Most of the small to mid size farmers around here all shake there head in wonder at all the spraying and draining of wet lands by the BTOs to sc**** every sq yard of dirt, we all made a decent living and still left some for the wildlife and just for the sake of looking at the trees now and then.
    Hutterite colonies are famous for exactly what you just stated here. I have seen it in my area in the last few years with a new colony being built 3 miles from my yard. Not only that , but the colony is in the most populated area of my RM.
    Last edited by GALAXIE500; Nov 30, 2021, 06:41.

Comment

The government has a Natural Heritage Conservation Program, lots of money.

Here is the kicker. They haven't got money for ranchers that do the hard work on conservation.

Wide angle view. Instead of paying NCC to buy the land and allow a rancher to rent it while NCC goes and makes money on the conservation easements / payments for offsets from large companies.....why not pay the land owner to continue to conserve the land as it has been for a 100 years?

Next owner gets the payment to do the same on an annual or 5 year deal to reduce administration costs.

Treat it like a guy selling land with an oil lease ...part of the package that I see on realtors listings is oil lease revenue of so many $$$

Why not a ranch that sells with conservation lease revenue?

Rather than using tax dollars to let NCC aggregate land holdings while being so called conservationists?

Black white face and BBF and black cattle come off that ranch that always get a mention in the sale lot they are in at local auction barn. There is more than conservation there , there is a legacy of cattle , and you don't get that by being poor operators.

Not that I could have bought it anyway or wanted to but it is a shame that NCC ends up with it as opposed to some young guy that could carry on the same as the Mackies have done for their time there.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        NCC will never sell land . So there will be limited chance to use the land and it was government money that bought the land.

NCC was given 100 million in the federal budget prior to the pandemic.

And yet there is limited hope for a young guy to start out when bidding against government free money.
        There is also limited hope for any young guy/gal to buy , rent any land when there are a bunch of greedy , land hungry bastards farming in all 4 directions of you. They can't look after what they have , but they still want more.

I am sure there are a LOT of people on this forum who have similar stories to share about that subject.

Always like reading what you got to say Bucket.

Galaxie 500

Comment

why is it that only the landowners have to pay the costs for maintaining wetlands and fencelines? if city people want these areas to be preserved then landowners should be compensated. the US has the CRP program which makes annual payments approx equal to what rent would be on preserved acres. The EU also has such a program. WE can see here that as usual people wnat stuff untill they have to pay for it. Gosh at least have a credit on the real estate taxes! Yes?

Comment

Originally posted by wrongway View Post
            why is it that only the landowners have to pay the costs for maintaining wetlands and fencelines? if city people want these areas to be preserved then landowners should be compensated. the US has the CRP program which makes annual payments approx equal to what rent would be on preserved acres. The EU also has such a program. WE can see here that as usual people wnat stuff untill they have to pay for it. Gosh at least have a credit on the real estate taxes! Yes?
            I dont see any costs to leaving a slough or fenceline in place. There may be a some possible lost income ,but i wonder what the payback period is ,if it ever recovers cost. When you acquired that land The purchase price was reflected in the inconvience of these ,so you have been compensated already and the taxes are also lower.

Comment

Originally posted by wrongway View Post
              Every time a pond is drained, I wonder where the recharge water for rural wells comes from. When no more water is allowed to sit on the landscape and soak in slowly, will the aquifers still be here in the future? Upland areas with wetlands are often water recharge areas for the aquifers.

And that is just one tiny little issue I see will probably happen.

I get what you are saying re the cro etc. But it ain’t gunna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
                I dont see any costs to leaving a slough or fenceline in place. There may be a some possible lost income ,but i wonder what the payback period is ,if it ever recovers cost. When you acquired that land The purchase price was reflected in the inconvience of these ,so you have been compensated already and the taxes are also lower.
                When prices of grain are high, I think they see the payback is there. I look at the fields covered in heavy machinery and wonder though. What is the rate of return on draining a half acre slough? It’s kind of like the wild land prices that farm revenue can’t pay for, but existing land is subsidizing. What’s the point? A gazziliion dollars worth of machinery to gain a few acres here and there.

Sorry, I forgot, without the treelines and half acres sloughs, the family can be fed more easily.

Comment

Nope, wont bite.

Comment

No rec spraying here just for yield and quality control. Don't even spray dandelions on lawn they're gonna love me when I retire and move to town!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                      When prices of grain are high, I think they see the payback is there. I look at the fields covered in heavy machinery and wonder though. What is the rate of return on draining a half acre slough? It’s kind of like the wild land prices that farm revenue can’t pay for, but existing land is subsidizing. What’s the point? A gazziliion dollars worth of machinery to gain a few acres here and there.

Sorry, I forgot, without the treelines and half acres sloughs, the family can be fed more easily.
                      A 100 foot bluff of trees has had a trackhoe knock them down, a couple of attempted fires to burn it, then a pulverizer to grind it up, then they learnt a few rocks still exist , so back with the trackhoe and a tow behind rock truck and a wheel loader. all for 8000 square feet of extra land and a low spot that will flood if the rains come back. He will probably tile it next.

Comment

From a realtor's listing near Maple creek

Includes - Appliances in Main Home, Fences, Gates, Watering Facilities
                         Located Northwest of Maple Creek, SK; 11⁄2 miles off the Trans Canada
                         Includes Annual Surface Lease Revenue of Approximately $86,200!

Now he has probably been doing good things for the land up until this latest weather problem, chances are the rancher wasn't getting any money from the federal government’s Natural Heritage Conservation Program

Comment

Sounds like a opportunity for a young guy 😊

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                            Sounds like a opportunity for a young guy 😊
                            6700 acres for 8.75 million. A young guy would work a lifetime off farm to have the down payment.

Comment

2 young guys, break it up?

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                                2 young guys, break it up?
                                How many cows can be run isn't on the listing. My guess is this is a capital gain play by owners that have been in it a long time. NCC , DU, or investors would be in play here aka government money.

The young guys that get to play on it with rent are just peasants. For life.

Cattle wouldn't pay for it , would it?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...