• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a big big number.

Comment

Nice report on a whole bunch of things SF3.

I’ve also heard about some of the massive payouts of contract shortages. The penalties grain companies are charging is rather bullshit, but the difference is the difference.
      Why are so many using DDCs without options to cover the other side? Or maybe we just don’t hear about that. When you start doing large delivery contracts before having the product, enormous risk. Which played out in the worst possible way this year. Don’t see how farms writing such big replacement cheques will ever recover let alone be in a net positive position from forward selling again.

I see DDC being discussed again now for next year. There are some tools to use, albeit imperfect, to limit risk.

Our area NW of Saskatoon is as dry as it’s ever been. Crop plans are penciled in but without snow and spring rain, flexibility will be needed. Crop ins coverage ought to be good, and as much as it ought not to drive what gets planted, it will. Premiums will be double for sure, maybe more. Until it starts raining, it’s a defensive strategy.

Most times in the past, some really good opportunities have emerged from the rubble of bad growing seasons. On the lookout for that.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
        It's a big big number.
        They made me sit down in the chair with the seatbelt and handcuffs for fear I would get up and strangle someone.

Comment

It's a big big number.
          This big? 9876543210
          Edit, that was underwhelming. I was trying to make a big number using Big font but the biggest font isn't very impressively big.
          Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Nov 26, 2021, 09:53.

Comment

Is that a d6 cat in your pictures saskfarmer, and is it yours or are you upgrading. We are looking for a 6 and need to know more about the good and the bad of the different series.

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
              Is that a d6 cat in your pictures saskfarmer, and is it yours or are you upgrading. We are looking for a 6 and need to know more about the good and the bad of the different series.
              A 6 is the most handy dozer for a farm because they are light enough you don’t need a bunch of extra wheels under them when you haul them. Either an 8 or a 6. A 7 is heavy enough you need the wheels but not the power of an 8. Dad had an 8 we used to clear a couple quarters of bush. She burnt and we ended up with a newer 6C powershift. They run a 3306 engine which is by far the cheapest to rebuild. Aside from it being a lighter machine it is by far more nimble and a decent dirt moving machine provided you keep your cutting edges maintained. I’m sure the newer high drives are even faster. My realm of knowledge is 1980 and older so maybe I’m no help.

Comment

No we are keeping our old one looking for a newer one.

Comment

No we are keeping our old one looking for a newer one.
                  Those are wide tracks like ours. Was that a seismic machine? Lots of those wide track outfits were used for clearing lines.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                    A 6 is the most handy dozer for a farm because they are light enough you don’t need a bunch of extra wheels under them when you haul them. Either an 8 or a 6. A 7 is heavy enough you need the wheels but not the power of an 8. Dad had an 8 we used to clear a couple quarters of bush. She burnt and we ended up with a newer 6C powershift. They run a 3306 engine which is by far the cheapest to rebuild. Aside from it being a lighter machine it is by far more nimble and a decent dirt moving machine provided you keep your cutting edges maintained. I’m sure the newer high drives are even faster. My realm of knowledge is 1980 and older so maybe I’m no help.
                    A d7g has the same engine and powershift as a d6c/d, double capacity and often not much more. My d6h would out do a 7g, way better torque converter.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                      I went with an 8. Because no one wants them, for the reasons you posted, so they are cheaper than a 6. I rarely have to move it, and only a few miles when we do.

Not a good muskeg cat( understatement), and not very efficient for finishing ( that is why we have a 6 way on a tractor), but for moving bulk dirt, it's a monster, and I don't think anything smaller could knock down the size of trees we have, when even the D8 needs multiple attempts at some of these massive trees.

Prior to this, almost all I had ran were differential steer 6 way cats, so this one was a learning curve.

Comment

I have found a good d6d but my son is hesitant to buy something that is 10 to 15 years older than he is. I like the simplicity of the older stuff. It is not a 6 way tho. We only have small willow sloughs to clean up and a bunch of dirt work. Also thinking, smaller cat, smaller repair bills.

Comment

Shopping for yellow iron is always fun. I’m with AF5 in going with bigger is better. It was my mom actually pushing for us to get our 8 after seeing how hard it was to knock the trees down with the old 6. Glad she did.

I thought SF would have started “Thisty Thursday” already. Here’s my “shot” at it.

Get some egg nog in a nice glass, I cut it with milk, add rumchata and a splash of fireball for the cinnamon. Enjoy with company and Christmas lights. Usually my amazing wife stashes some extra egg nog in the freezer for enjoyment after Christmas. Maybe the kids could start making it at home since we’ve got an abundance of eggs from from the chickens now……..😉

Just started supplementing the pairs out grazing as the barley regrowth is running out. Never dreamed we’d make it this far without feeding everyone. Huge bonus this year. They’re coming home in a couple days to get weaned.

Moved the weaned cows a mile up the road to start on the corn. Couldn’t do it yesterday as there was freezing rain and the pavement was glare ice as the county seems to forget to throw sand out anymore. Three pickups ended up kissing each other and a guardrail over the hill from us. Earlier a gravel crusher spun out on our hill and it took a winch truck pulling, a big loader pushing, and couple shredded tire chains to get it going again.

Looking at getting an ultrasound machine for preg testing. Asked my daughter if we should and she jumped all around the tractor cab excited. She’s only 8 but definitely wants to be a vet ……. large animal to boot😎. Loves to watch Dr Keri and Dr Oakley with me and will have an endless supply of questions for a vet whenever we occasionally have one out. Always try to do at least one thing different every year and this looks to be it. In the words of Shrek “change is good Donkey”

Life is good🍀

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
                            I have found a good d6d but my son is hesitant to buy something that is 10 to 15 years older than he is. I like the simplicity of the older stuff. It is not a 6 way tho. We only have small willow sloughs to clean up and a bunch of dirt work. Also thinking, smaller cat, smaller repair bills.
                            My policy with older equipment, is that one repair bill could easily be worth more than the machine. Therefore the purchase price has to be low enough that one could afford to write it off when the first catastrophic failure occurs. With a newer machine, you have no choice but to throw good money after bad.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                              Shopping for yellow iron is always fun. I’m with AF5 in going with bigger is better. It was my mom actually pushing for us to get our 8 after seeing how hard it was to knock the trees down with the old 6. Glad she did.

I thought SF would have started “Thisty Thursday” already. Here’s my “shot” at it.

Get some egg nog in a nice glass, I cut it with milk, add rumchata and a splash of fireball for the cinnamon. Enjoy with company and Christmas lights. Usually my amazing wife stashes some extra egg nog in the freezer for enjoyment after Christmas. Maybe the kids could start making it at home since we’ve got an abundance of eggs from from the chickens now……..😉

Just started supplementing the pairs out grazing as the barley regrowth is running out. Never dreamed we’d make it this far without feeding everyone. Huge bonus this year. They’re coming home in a couple days to get weaned.

Moved the weaned cows a mile up the road to start on the corn. Couldn’t do it yesterday as there was freezing rain and the pavement was glare ice as the county seems to forget to throw sand out anymore. Three pickups ended up kissing each other and a guardrail over the hill from us. Earlier a gravel crusher spun out on our hill and it took a winch truck pulling, a big loader pushing, and couple shredded tire chains to get it going again.

Looking at getting an ultrasound machine for preg testing. Asked my daughter if we should and she jumped all around the tractor cab excited. She’s only 8 but definitely wants to be a vet ……. large animal to boot😎. Loves to watch Dr Keri and Dr Oakley with me and will have an endless supply of questions for a vet whenever we occasionally have one out. Always try to do at least one thing different every year and this looks to be it. In the words of Shrek “change is good Donkey”

Life is good🍀
                              life is good , enjoy those little helpers , you will be helping them move soon !!!!! happens in the blink of an eye !!
                              and then it gets even better when the grandchildren show up !
                              Last edited by Guest; Nov 26, 2021, 21:45.

Comment

grandson came and helped take bee blocks apart for a few days , then went home and told his mom she wasn't cooking right
                                he makes everything seem so easy when he's here , we forget that were getting on , lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...