• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peas

With so little moisture and sky high fert prices, thinking of increasing my pea acres going into next year. What's everyone growing for varieties? Currently growing Forest but have heard some other varieties are better for less bleaching. Have been getting 3-7% bleach, maybe time to switch to yellows...

Have had good luck with Limerick for bleach

Comment

Can you find the seed? Seed sounds scare here and haven’t heard much for confirmed prices yet. Lots had the idea of more peas with fert prices but not sure they all got the seed to cover the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
        Can you find the seed? Seed sounds scare here and haven’t heard much for confirmed prices yet. Lots had the idea of more peas with fert prices but not sure they all got the seed to cover the idea.
        Can you legally buy bin run for seed from another farmer or are you suppose to buy from seed grower? I know wheat and canola is seed grower only but what about pulses, barley, oats etc.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
          Can you legally buy bin run for seed from another farmer or are you suppose to buy from seed grower? I know wheat and canola is seed grower only but what about pulses, barley, oats etc.
          Depends on the variety? I think.

Not a lot of peas laying around to use as bin run. At least around here. $16-$17 harvest prices and short on contracts cleaned up a lot.

Comment

Sorry to hijack but the same questions have to be asked on oats?
            How many $$$$ and what gets used?

Tricky to get a lot that you want to seed.
            Last edited by shtferbrains; Nov 24, 2021, 19:28.

Comment

Seed Guide will tell you if you can sell. Anything with PBR is a no - no. But as everyone knows you can do anything till you get caught .... well “ALMOST” anything.
              Peas will be very costly to seed, then again what won’t be??

Comment

Originally posted by BTO780 View Post
                Peas will be very costly to seed, then again what won’t be??
                Isnt that the truth!

U want to buy new durum seed? I'm hearing $28 for certified, let alone registered or foundation... at 2bu/ac, that's approaching what was once considered a hard pill to swallow with canola seed.

Peas at 3 x $17? Hell I've been seeding at 3.25 to try and compensate for the lack of conveyors from cleaner to drill tank.

Mustard still cheap at $1.20/lb x 8lb(size determined)

Comment

Appears canola seed per acre will be on the lower end of seed only cost once you add in any seed treatment/ inoculent?

Big Pharma will see endless opertunity coming out of that.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                    Isnt that the truth!

U want to buy new durum seed? I'm hearing $28 for certified, let alone registered or foundation... at 2bu/ac, that's approaching what was once considered a hard pill to swallow with canola seed.

Peas at 3 x $17? Hell I've been seeding at 3.25 to try and compensate for the lack of conveyors from cleaner to drill tank.

Mustard still cheap at $1.20/lb x 8lb(size determined)
                    guy here sold dirty oats for $12 x 4.5 BPA = $54/AC
                    our expensive canola is getting cheaper all the time

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      guy here sold dirty oats for $12 x 4.5 BPA = $54/AC
                      our expensive canola is getting cheaper all the time
                      Canola seed may have not gone up like everything else, but the fert bill will make up the difference.

Comment

way too dry here , fert will be cut way back

Comment

Canola at approx $55 per acre.
                          Cert bly approx $ 33 per acre.
                          All crops will be close for seed costs.
                          Fert depends when it was bought and what target yield you hope for.

Comment

I always target optimum densities. Emerged per sq ft. Every plant in nature has it's own.
                            Am I the only one?
                            10-12 peas, 32 ish -36 tops cereals 7-9 can.

Comment

Heard some growers charging $24-27/bus in the south. $80+\acre and no treatment or tagteam or fertilizer. We are going on year 3 of no peas. Don’t miss them one bit.

What do you call canola snow canola, less the snow….

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...