• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THE NEW ENERGY BOOM: The sun is shining on Alberta’s solar industry

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.albertafarmexpress.ca/news/the-new-energy-boom-the-sun-is-shining-on-albertas-solar-industry/

Every sector of Alberta’s solar energy industry is seeing strong demand — including from agriculture
    By Jennifer Blair
    Reporter
    Alberta Farmer Express

Quote from article:

For that first project in Brooks, they’re getting 15 megawatts out of that project now and it’s on 74 acres done with 200-and-some-watt modules,” said Hirsche.

“I suspect that in a few years, they’ll be in a position where they’ll take off the old modules and put on new modules and triple the capacity of the plant without any more land.”

Is that why they call them renewables?

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
      Quote from article:

For that first project in Brooks, they’re getting 15 megawatts out of that project now and it’s on 74 acres done with 200-and-some-watt modules,” said Hirsche.

“I suspect that in a few years, they’ll be in a position where they’ll take off the old modules and put on new modules and triple the capacity of the plant without any more land.”

Is that why they call them renewables?
      So they never have to rebuild or upgrade fossil fuel plants?

Comment

I think they recycle steel.

What do they do with solar panel garbage.

And we're not talking about 74 acres.

Comment

Drove past the new facility east of jenner alberta. In my opinion it is a blight on that piece of land. It can not be used for anything else. The bottom of the panels are no more than 3’ to 4’ above ground. No more cattle grazing or grain farming on that piece of real estate. At least with wind mills agriculture can continue. Also curious how the under growth will be controlled going forward? Is it just because it has been built in butt **** alberta it is a great idea? They should put these panels all over the green spaces in calgary and edmonton so that the climate greenies can enjoy their great works every day.

Comment

It can’t be any worse than the B.C. Hydrogen buses. $90 million for 20 buses. Then try to dump them after 200 000 km. Cost of operation was over a $1/km more than Diesel.

Comment

Why didn't the pannels work in medicine hat?

Comment

There is talk that very productive land at acadia valley will be paved over with these panels. The annual compensation is very high but I still can’t get my head around taking productive land out of production. It is sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
                  Why didn't the pannels work in medicine hat?
                  You mean brooks, the sunniest place in Canada?

Well because they were in the wrong location. This is a much better location. These new panels will only lose money at 97% the rate of the failed one in Brooks.

Progress.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    You mean brooks, the sunniest place in Canada?

Well because they were in the wrong location. This is a much better location. These new panels will only lose money at 97% the rate of the failed one in Brooks.

Progress.
                    There was a solar farm near Medicine Hat that folded.

Comment

Don't have to work or even need the power they produce.
                      Solar farms shares are an easy sell. All the hype and promo is already done.
                      Government prints off some subsidy money and big CO2 producers like Amazon greenwash cheap.

Inflation will dry that scam up.

Comment

How’s the lifespan of those solar panels?
                        Are the like some windmills at 50% at best ?

Comment

This article is out of Ireland. They are further down the rabbit hole on goverment intervention.
                          Not sure you would see this printed in wide circulation farm paper here?
                          Last part is the best.

Farmer Focus: Carbon neutral and net zero – biggest scam yet
                          Richard Orr18 November 2021
                          © Steffan Hill© Steffan Hill
                          We have been filming on-farm for a TV production. I feel it’s so important to educate the public, but what makes the cut may be watered down.

It amazes me how ignorant people are about farming. I was told to talk “less farmer” and “more plain, simple, basic language” because the viewers won’t understand me!

About the author
                          Richard Orr
                          Richard Orr farms 160ha in Downpatrick, Northern Ireland, with his wife and parents. He is an AHDB Monitor Farmer. Crops include wheat, oats, barley, potatoes and vegetables. The business also has a farm shop and beef cattle

At the end, one of the girls asked me: “How do you see the future of farming and what lies ahead for your next generation?”

My immediate response was: “It’s out of our hands. Our government believes we are no longer important or required. There’s nothing that would currently want me to encourage my kids into the industry. It might as well be a modern form of slavery.”
                          It’s a crazy thought, but when I left school in 2004 the government constantly said farming was a vital industry as the population rises and food demand outstrips supply.

Now it’s 2021, and it’s hard not to get frustrated and angry as a farmer listening to the reporting of COP26.

All the lies and corruption that governments bring – backed by the media reporting the inaccuracies – are brainwashing the public into thinking farmers are the problem

I believe carbon neutral, net zero and so on could be the biggest scam in our generation.

Yes, carbon reduction is very important and we need to do our bit, but businesses buying carbon credits to advertise themselves as net zero is total rubbish.

It’s tricking the public into thinking they are somehow an environmentally friendly company.

The only way you should be able to officially declare a reduced- or zero-carbon footprint is by altering how your functioning business runs, not buying a rainforest and declaring that you’re carbon neutral. Nothing has changed for the better.

If you’re a tenant farmer you’ll struggle to get land if landlords get big money to leave it in grass or trees and collect carbon credits.

The biggest laugh is that they bandy about all these carbon figures, yet I can’t get anyone to accurately measure my carbon footprint.

If the measurements aren’t accurate, how can they be used as a reflection on any industry?

Reducing emissions is major aim for dairy transition farmers
                          Last edited by shtferbrains; Nov 21, 2021, 18:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                            Drove past the new facility east of jenner alberta. In my opinion it is a blight on that piece of land. It can not be used for anything else. The bottom of the panels are no more than 3’ to 4’ above ground. No more cattle grazing or grain farming on that piece of real estate. At least with wind mills agriculture can continue. Also curious how the under growth will be controlled going forward? Is it just because it has been built in butt **** alberta it is a great idea? They should put these panels all over the green spaces in calgary and edmonton so that the climate greenies can enjoy their great works every day.
                            Sheep…. Very, very, very common partner of solar fields.

Also various places have had good luck having market gardens under the panels. More so hot areas as the shade helps the plants, but it’s possible here as well.

Dumb to say agriculture can’t utilize the land at the same time. There’s more to ag than cows and arable.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                              I think they recycle steel.

What do they do with solar panel garbage.

And we're not talking about 74 acres.
                              LOL, you think that working solar modules are going to the dump?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...