• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC floods.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
    There’s worrying about it and then there’s thinking any current plans will actually be effective in mitigating it.

I also wasn’t aware that the Sumas area was built in “this day and age”. It’s fairly similar to every other settlement that was built around water. So most settlements ever in the history of humans.
    I realize it was reclaimed land from a century ago.

But many people don't even know they are in high risk location when it comes to climate change whether it be from fires, floods or heat domes. And people are still building in higher risk places. Flood maps are woefully out of date for the more frequent and severe flood scenarios coming.

We need to change the path we are on and also prepare for the high risk and adaptation required. Governments are planning for both.

Comment

Most of Canada’s population lives in the shadow of an old alluvial outflow or a major tributary from it. Vancouver Montreal Ottawa Toronto Winnipeg Calgary interior BC.

The old Palliser is probably the safest place from this years version of climate change.

I thought Barbie was going to build infrastructure to withstand climate change. I guess riding your e bike to your Ottawa office is what she meant. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
        I realize it was reclaimed land from a century ago.

But many people don't even know they are in high risk location when it comes to climate change whether it be from fires, floods or heat domes. And people are still building in higher risk places. Flood maps are woefully out of date for the more frequent and severe flood scenarios coming.

We need to change the path we are on and also prepare for the high risk and adaptation required. Governments are planning for both.
        Many people are too ignorant to know a lot of things. Generally in the name of convenience. Look at dietary habits. Those are more risky than any location for building.

You want to crusade against the placement of metropolitan areas and their risk management strategies go ahead. Don’t be surprised when the rest of us tell you it’s not our problem though.

Comment

Climate may very well be changing short term
          Maybe long term but carbon sure hasn’t
          Been proven as the only culprit. And the solution even
          If it was is suspect considering who’s in charge of rhe
          Solution.

The suns flares have caused incredible changes to
          The atmosphere. Just for one. The glaciers were
          Formed during a meteor event of darkness
          As they naturally melt yea the sun reflects more heat.
          All are causes.
          And then of course if carbon is the main villain
          Nobody in the main emitters is doing anything
          Substantial because it costs too much. And us
          Doing everything does very little. There will be
          Jobs just different ones.

Comment

Blah, blah , blah. When it comes to climate change and covid your record speaks for itself. Most of you are clueless and way out in far right fringe field and being ignored. But keep bleating you flat earth conspiracies! LOL
            who in the **** winds you up ??????????????????????????????????????????

Dictionary

"LOL
            /läl,elōˈel/
            INFORMAL
            exclamation
            exclamation: lol
            used to draw attention to a joke or amusing statement, or to express amusement.
            "I love how you said “coffee is not my cup of tea.” LOL!"
            verb
            verb: lol; past tense: loled; 3rd person present: lols; gerund or present participle: loling; past participle: loled; past tense: lol'd; 3rd person present: lol's; gerund or present participle: lol'ing; past participle: lol'd
            laugh audibly or be amused.
            "I literally LOL'd when the updates popped up"
            Origin

1980s: abbreviation of laughing out loud or laugh out loud .
            Translate lol to
            Use over time for: LOL"

surely to christ you are not as challenged as your posts make you appear
            maybe this will help?

Comment

Comment

Will be impressive if they can get things moving that fast

Comment

Pretty lame their A5. All news outlets are covering it.

So 4 major weather related events in BC this year and climate change had nothing to do with it? LOL
                  Your right it is climate change and its changing just like it has been doing for millions of years but now that man lives in its path it must be out fault lol

Comment

Mr Treudau pitched higher taxes as the cure at the COP26. Even there he didn't get much interest but I think most leaders see him as the local idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      Will be impressive if they can get things moving that fast
                      Wouldn't rule it out. They put in a new grade and bridge at mile 67.8(should read 74.7) on the Sangudo sub over the Paddle river near Mayerthorpe in 20 days
                      Last edited by farming101; Nov 18, 2021, 22:10.

Comment

I guess we have to remember it’s BC and
                        Not Saskatchewan. In Saskatchewan they have to
                        Replace the red flags about 5 times as they deteriorate
                        From the weather before they fix a pothole.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
                          I guess we have to remember it’s BC and
                          Not Saskatchewan. In Saskatchewan they have to
                          Replace the red flags about 5 times as they deteriorate
                          From the weather before they fix a pothole.
                          Yes it is BC so they won't have to fight and balk with getting any help from anyone else especially Ottawa, to make it look like they did it without help or trying to figure out how their international buddy corps that are the biggest supporters get all the contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                            Wouldn't rule it out. They put in a new grade and bridge at mile 67.8 on the Sangudo sub over the Paddle river near Mayerthorpe in 20 days
                            https://www.klohn.com/blog/project-i...e-replacement/
                            Here they were replacing a bridge on 33 Highway. It took all summer, just got done last week. It’s the way we like to do it in Sascratcharound.

Comment

The whole area contains a lot of flat land and farmland. Flat farmland is a lacustrine soil type, formed under a lake for thousands of years. Then you have a huge river delta formed from the discharge of a large river- the Fraser. It takes tens of thousands of years to build soils from the discharge of soil particles moved in by water. I hate to tell the the “climate changers”, but this area has been flooding since the formation of the very existence of the Rocky Mountains. And the area formed without the existence of any burned fossil fuels. Humans just merely came along and built their settlements in places prone to flooding, as they tend to do.

Comment

Kinda like New Orleans, then all surprised when a hurricane hits and it’s a climate change disaster.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.