• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sheep wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=TOM4CWB;518117]Better to say nothing and look like a fool... than to remove all doubt by.....

Discretion is the better part of valour....

Proverbs 26:

6 Never let a fool carry your message. If you do, it will be like cutting off your own feet. You are only asking for trouble.

7 A fool trying to say something wise is like a crippled person trying to walk.

8 Showing honor to a fool is as bad as tying a rock in a sling.

9 A fool trying to say something wise is like a drunk trying to pick a thorn out of his hand.

You have done your part to remove doubt. Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones . Cheers

Comment

[QUOTE=agstar77
      You have done your part to remove doubt. Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones . Cheers[/QUOTE]

My Dear old [lived in 3 centuries, born in 1899, died in 2000] Granddad had a favourite saying:

You know what the Monkey said when he got his tail caught in the lawn mower?
      'It won't be long now!"

Live long and prosper!

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
        I see the antagonizing ass is back up to his usual crap.

It’s one thing for moderators to allow free speech but in order to keep your house clean you have to throw out the trash once in a while.
        Ok see you later then!!!

Comment

Sometimes a fellow just needs to take a giant step back and observe without speaking. I’ve still been watching the drama from our leftist “friends” both on here and in the media and population at large with shock and sadness as to societies general lack of common sense and moral fortitude.

Also been really busy here. Was waiting for frost to haul hay home on our mud hole road. And then we got eight inches of climate crisis. And then four more inches of un forecast climate crisis yesterday. Which blew and now the road is close to blocked. So I’m fighting through that. Should finish today.

Of course when one has four kids with deer tags, that is a whole new meaning of busy. Yesterday my youngest son got his first deer. So proud of him and his resolve. It was a tough hunt and I was more stressed than him. Long story for another day. I believe the government should not have made a two tag season. Winter came early in terms of snowfall amount, and it looks like deer could really suffer if it is anything like normal from now on. And sure there are a lot of deer, but they are fast running out of hiding places in the parkland.

On the hunting note, did you folks know that the trespassing law though passed is not even in effect? You still need signs. No wonder ppl were parading down our road and creating a mess while road hunting and poaching. Get off your butts people, sitting in a truck trying to catch a deer out in the open on someone else’s land who has habitat left, is not hunting. Go on your own land! Oh right, your land is stripped bare with zero habitat, and zero game, sorry, my bad.

I think these self imposed breaks are necessary as I’m not a techno geek at all, and I get sucked in and waste time. Which doesn’t fit my personality of wishing I lived in the 50’s. You know, back when people had common sense and fought against leftism and when farming, though hard work, was rewarding to the initiated and less about driving out the neighbors or getting just one more piece of land or iron…

When I am chatting, I always need to be watching the conversation and so I am constantly watching a screen when I should be out hunting with the kids.

Out to get hauling again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
            Sometimes a fellow just needs to take a giant step back and observe without speaking. I’ve still been watching the drama from our leftist “friends” both on here and in the media and population at large with shock and sadness as to societies general lack of common sense and moral fortitude.

Also been really busy here. Was waiting for frost to haul hay home on our mud hole road. And then we got eight inches of climate crisis. And then four more inches of un forecast climate crisis yesterday. Which blew and now the road is close to blocked. So I’m fighting through that. Should finish today.

Of course when one has four kids with deer tags, that is a whole new meaning of busy. Yesterday my youngest son got his first deer. So proud of him and his resolve. It was a tough hunt and I was more stressed than him. Long story for another day. I believe the government should not have made a two tag season. Winter came early in terms of snowfall amount, and it looks like deer could really suffer if it is anything like normal from now on. And sure there are a lot of deer, but they are fast running out of hiding places in the parkland.

On the hunting note, did you folks know that the trespassing law though passed is not even in effect? You still need signs. No wonder ppl were parading down our road and creating a mess while road hunting and poaching. Get off your butts people, sitting in a truck trying to catch a deer out in the open on someone else’s land who has habitat left, is not hunting. Go on your own land! Oh right, your land is stripped bare with zero habitat, and zero game, sorry, my bad.

I think these self imposed breaks are necessary as I’m not a techno geek at all, and I get sucked in and waste time. Which doesn’t fit my personality of wishing I lived in the 50’s. You know, back when people had common sense and fought against leftism and when farming, though hard work, was rewarding to the initiated and less about driving out the neighbors or getting just one more piece of land or iron…

When I am chatting, I always need to be watching the conversation and so I am constantly watching a screen when I should be out hunting with the kids.

Out to get hauling again.
            Good to hear you’re doing alright. Was wondering where you were. I take breaks at times as well. Lots of times I write posts and don’t bother posting as I either feel it’s not worth it or I fear I sound like an idiot. Some on here should read what they write before they post it. That’s why I don’t try to get too involved in hot button topics as I know I will contradict myself or say something I’ll later regret. Good luck on keeping the sheepies happy and healthy.

Comment

Happy to have you back. As you know i am not actively farming. This whole forum less the covid shit show is my window on the farming world. Sheepwheat i value reading your and your families ventures and adventures on your farm and have had the pleasure of using some of your products.
              Other posts i look forward to are Woodland"s because it reminds me so much of my ranching days although on not such a large scale. Although I always was a piss poor grain farmer i really enjoy Saskfarmers crop reports and his very very successful multi generation grain farm. Just hope when he settles for the winter in Florida we start seeing more of his drink concoctions.
              There are some other contributors on here that to me add no value and i usually just skim over their posts. How ever i do miss contributers like Farmaholic, Mallee and even Grassfarmer who was doing a lot of interesting things with his cattle
              I do not contribute any as i tend to go bat shit crazy when i get started especially with politics and i am getting too old for that.
              Good luck to you all and i will go back to lurking in the background

Comment

Great to have you back Sheepwheat. 👍

Good luck on the hunting. I never have done it but let almost anyone who asks (nicely) go on our place.

How’s lamb prices doing these days? Hopefully more appealing than 60 cent cull cows for us. 🍀

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                  Great to have you back Sheepwheat. 👍

Good luck on the hunting. I never have done it but let almost anyone who asks (nicely) go on our place.

How’s lamb prices doing these days? Hopefully more appealing than 60 cent cull cows for us. 🍀
                  and those god damn pricks are charging us $24/lb for a roast
                  $5/lb extra lean ground beef , WTF?
                  grass farmer usta help me with these math problems , how much hamburger would you get off a cull cow, (smaller one) if you de boned the whole thing ?
                  last one we got processed at the hutts , was really impressed with quality of job, and price, all vacuum sealed

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    and those god damn pricks are charging us $24/lb for a roast
                    $5/lb extra lean ground beef , WTF?
                    grass farmer usta help me with these math problems , how much hamburger would you get off a cull cow, (smaller one) if you de boned the whole thing ?
                    last one we got processed at the hutts , was really impressed with quality of job, and price, all vacuum sealed
                    A 1200 pound cull cow hanging weight about 600 pounds.Then after cut and wrap probably 420 pounds of hamburger.

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
                      A 1200 pound cull cow hanging weight about 600 pounds.Then after cut and wrap probably 420 pounds of hamburger.
                      I think the calculation is 60% of live for hanging wgt and 60% of that for boned and ground.
                      About the same as your number.

Fat cows not shelly old cows.
                      Last edited by shtferbrains; Nov 19, 2021, 07:41.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                        I think the calculation is 60% of live for hanging wgt and 60% of that for boned and ground.
                        About the same as your number.

Fat cows not shelly old cows.
                        Probably 55% dressed an lose another 35% cut and wrap.whatever way you figure around 420 to 450 pounds of hamburger.

Comment

Deboned you’d lose weight. 40% of live weight is average take home but if you debone it I’d expect you’d be looking at 400 or under.

Comment

Plus your kill fee, disposal fee, and cutting/wrapping charge which adds about a buck a pound to the carcass weight for us.

Comment

Even with everything in, we have had no trouble selling meat, quarters or sides.

There has been a change of attitude in consumers over the past two years - they do not question the price.

Comment

Thanks everyone
                                We usta process all our own meat
                                One 30-30 shell , saws and grinders
                                Then coyote bait with the guts and hide
                                Too bad we lost it along the way

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...