• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camelina

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camelina

Anyone doing camelina next year? I’m considering it. Have some ground in mind and considering how dry it is it might pencil better than canola. I need some advice.

Go for it. I'm actually thinking it might replace canola someday
    Look into multiplying pedigreed seed
    Last edited by Guest; Nov 14, 2021, 07:39.

Comment

It's a crop that I've thought about trying on a few acres, but have no idea where there market is, other than pressing it here. Then try to tap into the foodie niche.

It looks like a lower-input, but also a lower-return crop. Lots of good info online about growing it.

There's very little acreage around here that grows canola or mustard crops, other than a number of seed multiplication plots. At least not intentionally...

Comment

From what I read it has been touted as a low input crappy land crop but guys who’ve grown it say it responds quite well to adequate fertility. I wonder how it scavenges nutrients versus canola or flax. Reason I wonder is I have ground which has been in cereal forages for enough years that I think would have the least chance of canola volunteers. Cattle have been fed on this ground as well, and nutrient levels are high. Thinking 100# of 46 and let er buck. I see now they have a group 2 tolerant variety, and I tend to not use much group 2 if I can help it. stellar/outshine is the only chemical I use with group 2 chemistry on oats. If it would work out it would be a great oilseed option on my poor hilly land. Canola can yield very well given great conditions but suffers substantially more than the better land. As an example my best land produced 35 bu and my hilly ground ranged from 10 to 20 in this dry year. Even in average type years canola is usually 10 bushels behind better land. It’s like that for a lot of other crops as well. It is what it is and so other than growing forages and feeding the stuff back onto the land to improve the soil, I need a rotation option which I don’t lose my butt on.

Comment

I had a friend that grew camelina a few years ago. The crop did ok but he grew it only one year. I don’t know what inputs he put into the crop. The issue then was marketing and I know he kept it for at least a year.

Comment

Also had a neighbor that did a one and done crop yr ... if I remember correctly his main issue was keeping the seed In the combine.... flowed like water out of every seam?

Comment

A large farm out by Hobby farmer grew a significant amount of acres a few years back . Not sure how it turned out and if they ever grew it again ?

Comment

Originally posted by helmach View Post
                ...his main issue was keeping the seed In the combine.... flowed like water out of every seam?
                Duct tape and Silicone

Comment

The problem before was not a lot of options
                  For weed control and then some companies hosed
                  Producers on taking production or I should say
                  They didn’t take it when they said they would.
                  As in not that year. Not a lot of accepted alternate
                  Uses or other takers at that time.
                  Easy to thresh and slow start but once it got
                  established it had
                  Ability to overtake the ground. Relatively early
                  Maturing.

Comment

No different than Quinoa. No weed control so u spend years cleaning up a mess. Buyers are not much for reliable delivery time slots. Most of these newer crops are hard to get reliable markets started so there is cash flow to keep the lights on. Certainly don’t want to be growing them if u are relying on prompt delivery and payment

Comment

I have one year experience growing Camelina. Certainly an early maturity crop. Got delayed seeding due to rain and more rain. With the saturated soil it was easy to get it growing because you need to seed it really shallow due to the small seeds. If at seeding it’s really dry I would probably want to grow something else. Seeded on June 10th and it made it through a fall frost with no damage that left our canola seeded about a week earlier with 8-10% green.

Yes it’s a challenge to keep it in the combine. The hulls the seed is in are like cups so seed is riding out over the seives no matter how you set them. The only solution is to take it with a lot of dockage to save that seed from going over. Mine was 20-25% dockage but I probably should have taken it even more dirty to save seed.

Only sprayed assure for wild oats. The field was clean of broadleaf weeds

Comment

Thanks for the info. Sounds like any of these exotic alternatives we try in their infancy. I hate the thought of sinking a bunch into it to wait for a long time to recoup my money. It’s touted as cheaper to grow than canola but my math doesn’t see that. Prove me wrong please.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                          Thanks for the info. Sounds like any of these exotic alternatives we try in their infancy. I hate the thought of sinking a bunch into it to wait for a long time to recoup my money. It’s touted as cheaper to grow than canola but my math doesn’t see that. Prove me wrong please.
                          If you grow it on ground you fed on consider group 2 pursuit type products have virtualy zero control on lambsquarter/pigweed.

I would also want to have good perennial and winter annual control done in the fall.

As soon as you need multiple product going in the tank to do rescue weed control it blows the budget.

I visualize growing rap eseed in the 70's and we were thrilled to get Treflan that left some weeds that would cover the ground before you ever saw the stuff you seeded.

Comment

These niche crops should have the purchaser putting up the money for risk, how come the farmer always gets stuck with the loss.

Comment

I really don’t think I’ll bother with it until the market is more established. I can never live down trying flax.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.