• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woodland I am curious when you have time to sleep? We have been feeding here since Oct. 20. Calves have been weaned for a week and a half, hoping to vaccinate them today as our nice fall appears to be coming to an end. Always enjoy your posts as I do Saskfarmer’s.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
      Nice photo of the bins and you can check them every morning. What make is the pull dozer it’s orange?
      Valleyview..1604..

Comment

Comment

Thanks busy day at Graceland my one son wasn’t sure who Elvis was.

Off to Deep South Alabama tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
            Woodlands

When you rented the barley acres did you have to put all the panels up around it?

Or were there existing fence lines on a few of sides?

In the picture there seems to be hundreds of feet of panels in view along with a loader with forks.

Not trying to be nosey but just interested in what kind of hard labor was involved.
            We pasture around three sides of this half section we rented so we just needed to panel off around a yard site and a bunch of bales out in the field. I dismantled a half mile of panels, moved them four miles, and set most of them back up in about 7 hours. In my eyes they are the equivalent of Partners row of hopper bins……… hard to swallow the upfront cost but handier than anything else.

He also said I needed to take all the bush bales (ones that have been rowed up at the field edge waiting on a drought) and just pay for the baling. He said there was a few and that ended up being 65 …………… good surprise 😎

They are watering at our tire waterers on the adjoining pasture which is handy.

Two year old canola straw is becoming moo poo as we speak by the freshly weaned critters. Win win for both parties. Saves a bunch of time and hopefully dollars grazing compared to feeding. It’s not laziness………… it’s efficient………… right?😉

Comment

Been years since I was at Graceland.
              Thanks for the reminders. Where is that JD?

Comment

Woodland

Thanks for the reply.

Those panels are a great investment for sure, and will never lose their value.

When we had cattle we baled canola straw but that's what it was just straw. If your cattle chow it down then that's a bonus for you, no doubt.

As Howie Mandel would say, "You made a Great Deal"

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                  Woodland I am curious when you have time to sleep? We have been feeding here since Oct. 20. Calves have been weaned for a week and a half, hoping to vaccinate them today as our nice fall appears to be coming to an end. Always enjoy your posts as I do Saskfarmer’s.
                  The last two years have been quite conducive to excessive working since holidays and socializing have kinda been not very plentiful. Probably not beneficial to our mental health (neither was the drought) but it is what it is.

It’s the people that make the stressful long hard days enjoyable. Heck mom was getting tired of standing running the hyd squeeze when I suggested bringing out a lawn chair and she loves it. Only requested that I weld a cup holder on top of the valve block to keep her hot toddy warm for the next bunch😉

Managed to do 70 head an hour which is better than I expected. Even finished before dark which is helpful with black critters.

Learned a handy trick from the manager at the community pasture this year to tie a piece of survey flagging tape to a ear tag button of a critter you treated. It’s been real handy in the one bunch we got pneumonia in to see at a glance who’s been hit with draxxin already. Love learning new cheap little tricks like that.

My littlest one can even multitask by eating and sleeping at the same time. . She’s our little carnivore…… meat is always gone first off her plate. Proud dad here😎

Comment

I can actually submit a post harvest crop report this year. In the same calendar year that it was seeded for the first time in 5 years.
                    As of yesterday we finished baling the last bit of straw that was so green and wet and dense that it took that long to finally cure and dry after being raked.
                    Only a few bins with really tough green, the rest was dry which has freed up a lot of time this fall compared to the last few.
                    We have had more potential combining days this fall that we have in the last 5 (or 10) years put together. Even so far in November we could have combined every day if we had needed to. Still no snow, warm and dry.
                    Cows still happily out grazing, should get another week or two yet if all goes well.
                    Surprising how much soil moisture there is considering how dry it was back in July when I was last doing any excavation. Perfect conditions for doing a bunch of landscaping and hauling dirt and manure.
                    Was able to keep disking until the 8th of November. Mostly for neighbors. It was getting frozen but the wishek would still cut through it.
                    Still pushing fence post today without too much trouble.
                    If I could custom order a fall, this year would be exactly what I would order.
                    Edit to add, the only improvement I could have made to this fall would be to cancel the farmwide hail storm at the beginning of harvest.
                    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Nov 13, 2021, 21:04.

Comment

That is quite the mathematical equation on the side of your cow there woodland. Do you have to get them to stand in the right order to make that equation true?
                      Looks like your youngest helper would fit right in helping me. I can and do fall asleep doing absolutely anything when I am trying to work 24 hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        That is quite the mathematical equation on the side of your cow there woodland. Do you have to get them to stand in the right order to make that equation true?
                        Looks like your youngest helper would fit right in helping me. I can and do fall asleep doing absolutely anything when I am trying to work 24 hours a day.
                        Well we don’t have lions so I don’t need to paint eyes on their backsides…………

Apparently it’s a thing in Africa.

Our graffiti is permanent 😉

Comment

Woodland is that an association brand or your own ??

Comment

I had very similar brand only 2 characters standing v under vertical bar. Just like 2 characters on yours only on the FRS.
                            Not an easy place to apply if your using the squeeze but easy to spot as most others used hip.
                            Not much worry about scorch with those characters.

Nice job on that brand!

Comment

Is it Wabbit season?

Comment

Are they not turning completely white so as not to offend the brown wabbits

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...