• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBOT Wheat Futures

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends how much you dislike margin calls and how far you are okay with going into the red before you bail.
    To preserve sanity it may be wise to protect your capital on an initial trade from too much damage. So placing a moderate stop after a favorable gain is wise. Live to trade another day
    Percentage or dollar value, something so you have a clear view of your loss limits.

Studying the chart history and analyzing potential will likely reveal what a reasonable exit point could be. Some day traders are content to get out after their objective is reached, no regrets.

A trailing stop that protects a rising percentage of your initial margin, for example, 1.5%, 3%, 5%, 8% and so on can really help take the emotion out of the trade.

Putting on a hedge and lifting a hedge takes a whole different set of rules. Protecting an initial margin is fine but if it is a pure hedge there is a much greater incentive to let losses and gains run. The objective is to set a floor price for your grain in the bin.

Oh and 8.70 basis March should be written down somewhere. It looks like an objective goal. When and if that is reached the world will have changed again

Comment

Originally posted by wheatking16 View Post
      I typically use the Daily chart for idea generation and then break it down to lower timeframes for my entry and initial stop identification.

Using a lower timeframe that breaks into equal increments of the market hours, as TechAnalyst did with the 60-minute chart, is a solid practice.

The weekly chart was chosen for my idea as I assumed that is applicable to the producer timeframe.

I did, however, use the Daily chart for my entry identification using both the recent relevant low and the Anchored VWAP for my initial stop.

They both lined up well on the Weekly, hence the decision to chart that timeframe.

As the trade progresses, I will move to a lower timeframe, ie, Daily or 1-hour, to raise my stop.

The Daily chart below illustrates that the trade idea was triggered.

Now we are presented with the challenge of maximizing profit while protecting gains.

When and where do we raise our stop?

[ATTACH]9149[/ATTACH]

Exploring the lower timeframe 1-hr chart below, I added the purple Anchored VWAP from the recent low.

Now it gets tricky,

Does one raise their stop to breakeven, increasing the chance of getting stopped out early and missing a larger move?

Does one retain the same stop for the time being providing more opportunity for this trade to work out?

Does one use a lower timeframe and raise their stop below the purple VWAP?

This is the art of trading where the Mona Lisa can quickly turn into a stick man.

[ATTACH]9150[/ATTACH]

The Klarenbach Report
      https://klarenbach.substack.com/

Klarenbach Research Telegram Group
      https://t.me/klarenbachresearch
      It is nice when they work out.

Up 3%

The stop is raised.

There is no reason to lose money now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZWH2022_2021-11-11_12-59-49.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	772036

Name:	ZWH2022_2021-11-11_13-03-43.jpg
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	772037

Comment

With probably only 30-35% of expected winter wheat acres going in in Ontario due to moisture I think we’ve gained even more on strengthening basis than we have on the board. Glad I got mine all in

Comment

It is nice when they work out.

Up 3%

The stop is raised.

There is no reason to lose money now.
          Steady as she goes....

Comment

The purple and blue VWAPs are logical places for buyers to step in.

I like to consider the VWAPs for support and resistance levels.

Name:	ZWH2022_2021-11-16_10-56-07.jpg
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	772072

Comment

Chicago wheat retraced and now getting a bounce off of the previous resistance.

I anticipate that this will go much higher.

What was once resistance often acts as support.

[ATTACH]9139[/ATTACH]

The Klarenbach Report
              https://klarenbach.substack.com/

Klarenbach Research Telegram Group
              https://t.me/klarenbachresearch
              What’s your definition of “much higher” ?

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                What’s your definition of “much higher” ?

I have levels of interest at

867 13% above original price target

945 23%

981 28%

Comment

I have levels of interest at

867 13% above original price target

945 23%

981 28%
                  Assuming Minneapolis goes up with CBOT, a 23% increase in the futures could put HRS above $15.

It should be though considering prices of other crops.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                    Assuming Minneapolis goes up with CBOT, a 23% increase in the futures could put HRS above $15.

It should be though considering prices of other crops.
                    The Weekly chart of the MGEX and CBOT spread has recently broken the blue trendline from May 2021 and is now below a declining red 10-week moving average (Similar to the 50-DMA on the Daily chart).

While the spread is still in an intermediate and long-term uptrend, the short-term trend has changed.

Will this continue into the longer term?

Name:	MCX1!_2021-11-21_10-01-35.jpg
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	772096

Comment

Looking at March 22 spread I'm wondering if it will go over 200 again.

Might start tracking Chicago 1:1? so, as was mentioned if Chicago goes up and takes MW with it it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                        Looking at March 22 spread I'm wondering if it will go over 200 again.

Might start tracking Chicago 1:1? so, as was mentioned if Chicago goes up and takes MW with it it's all good.
                        I anticipate the 10-Week MA and the blue trendline to be retested.

Comment

What’s the thoughts on today’s upward tick again ?
                          Is it sustainable and what’s driving the upward movement? Is wheat just catching up to other markets ?
                          How much of an influence is the very wet Australian situation in the eastern 1/2 of the country ?

Comment

Yeah parts of Auz it won’t quit raining now. Lots of feed wheat now. West side sounds okay from what I gather. Even canola has been know to sprout in the pod there I’ve seen from mutual acquaintances.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                              Yeah parts of Auz it won’t quit raining now. Lots of feed wheat now. West side sounds okay from what I gather. Even canola has been know to sprout in the pod there I’ve seen from mutual acquaintances.
                              Russian troops Massing on Ukrainian border, (January invasion projected) dry EU wheat fields, Argentina with GM wheat… dry US winter wheat areas with much reduced growth, livestock grazing restrictions because too dry…

General sentiment that grains will rally from here…

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                                What’s the thoughts on today’s upward tick again ?
                                Is it sustainable and what’s driving the upward movement? Is wheat just catching up to other markets ?
                                How much of an influence is the very wet Australian situation in the eastern 1/2 of the country ?
                                I have no evidence whatsoever to support my theory, but I'm suspecting this is almost entirely and inflation play. The supply and demand numbers really don't justify wheat going to these levels.
                                But unlike many other commodities, I think everyone recognizes that wheat is food and vital. So how many individuals, traders, companies, countries and investors are investing in wheat as both a hedge against inflation and a physical hedge against breakdown of supply chains.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...