• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corn

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn

2 month high on the continuous chart for corn. This coming along with a 15 billion bushel harvest

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
    2 month high on the continuous chart for corn. This coming along with a 15 billion bushel harvest
    They struggling to get off a crop that is not what they think . Some places yes for sure , the average will be less
    No different than the Canadian crop , hopes and dreams of experts and agrologists will be replaced by common sense real world ........ ask the canola seed Industry right now in Canada .............
    Last edited by furrowtickler; Oct 28, 2021, 08:47.

Comment

All summer, the corn farmers on NAT have been arguing the supply side, and eventually most conceded that supply issues were overrated, and therefore prices were too high.

In reality, it appears that this is a demand driven market instead. High gasoline prices, driving high ethanol margins specifically. Exports still don't look promising, but realistically, exports just aren't a significant portion of the US corn crop compared to domestic use.

It seems to me that one market truism is that demand driven markets have more staying power than supply driven.

Comment

I've been getting a lot of scare tactic text messages from feed buyers lately. Most of them being "corn is coming soon, this is the last chance to offload your feed barley!"

Comment

Originally posted by ALBERTAFARMER4 View Post
          I've been getting a lot of scare tactic text messages from feed buyers lately. Most of them being "corn is coming soon, this is the last chance to offload your feed barley!"
          A feed buyer I deal with worked out the equivalent farmgate price of corn back in August, knowing it was coming in October. Barley prices today are basically competitive, as corn keeps rising, so will barley. The corn just keeps the feeding sector alive.

Comment

DTN reports positive basis is Western ND. Not sure of how much demand in that area but it likely won't make corn into Alberta any cheaper

Comment

It seems or feels like the market for grains is about 2 to 3 months ahead of last year. For example canola last year at this time the sentiment was similar to July/August this year, maybe a bad example but the market is just way more active now.

- I wonder what the canola + basis will be later in the year?
              - June /july the price run up stopped, will it be july this year or April?
              - will crushers be able to buy canola from line companies , or direct from the farm ( direct off farm makes way more sense), imports from Ukraine should be more difficult to impossible?
              - will there be futures “squeeze plays” this year
              - good news is Europe is in the same position as western canada for canola, might have to wait until Australia farmers sell their crop first ( just like pulses)

Looking forward to new crop, will the line companies (golf together all summer), and short sell growers because they have no grower contracts, but customers wanting to book and secure grains.
              The risk is , will be new crop off combine price levels be held back by the exporters (like they do collectively) because they need profits, assets/infrastructure to utilize, etc. Growers will need cash flow ( increase/ double the cash advance programs for growers). It will be very interesting.

The dryness not only in our back yard (Western Canada) but mexico, Usa, russia will have huge implications - RISK on

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.