• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil changes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil changes

When do you do your oil changes on your equipment?

I used to do then every fall before they got parked for the winter. Then I went to an oil seminar put on by our local Petro-Can dealer. The speaker there ask the crowd that same question and most people said fall and he replied that fall is not the best and spring would be better. He went on to say that during the winter you get a lot of water in your engine from condensation and that water will be in the oil all the next summer.
    I don't like the idea of dirty oil in an engine all winter but think it might be worse having water in the oil next summer.

Typically fall is best. Added moisture dispersing qualities expire and the acidic contaminants accumulated are best removed for long term storage.

Comment

If it's time for an oil change then I'd do it before winter. I'd be much more concerned about combustion contaminates then a little H2O that will mist off out the breather the first time you drop the drill in the ground.
      Don't think anyone changes the transmission oil every year because of condensation.

Likely not a bad idea to see if any water comes out the drain in the spring after the engine has not ran for months, as long as a guy can do it without making a mess. Also do an oil analysis to see what's in the oil. Cheaper than throwing out 45 liters of perfectly good oil

Comment

250 hours whenever that may be

Comment

When is the last time anyone had an engine failure that could be blamed on oil?

I think a lot of this concern about engine oils dates back to a long time ago when lubrication related failures were common, with the poorer quality oils of the day, and poorly engineered engines with much looser tolerances.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
            When do you do your oil changes on your equipment?

I used to do then every fall before they got parked for the winter. Then I went to an oil seminar put on by our local Petro-Can dealer. The speaker there ask the crowd that same question and most people said fall and he replied that fall is not the best and spring would be better. He went on to say that during the winter you get a lot of water in your engine from condensation and that water will be in the oil all the next summer.
            I don't like the idea of dirty oil in an engine all winter but think it might be worse having water in the oil next summer.
            Ahhhh you just need some old equipment like the 3208 in my feed truck that gets a gradual “oil change” every 100 hrs or so due to blowby, burning, and leaking. Just spin a new filter occasionally when it crosses your mind. 😎

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
              The retailer says 500 hours with John Deere oil !

It's better !

The owners manual in my new combine says 600 hours !

Not better,,, they just like to see you bring your equipment back to the shop for SERVICE ! lol

Comment

All equipment gets changed once a year in the fall, don’t care if it’s 100 hours or 300 hours. At present time we have no equipment that runs more than 300 a year.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                  Ahhhh you just need some old equipment like the 3208 in my feed truck that gets a gradual “oil change” every 100 hrs or so due to blowby, burning, and leaking. Just spin a new filter occasionally when it crosses your mind. 😎
                  Sounds familiar.
                  But ironically, that is one engine that actually does need very regular oil changes, and scheduled bearing rolls, to avoid catastrophic bottom end failure.

Comment

Mainline seasonal equipment here gets stored with clean or near new engine oil always.

Comment

All my equipment has oil changed before being put in the shed. Chore tractors every 250 hours. Regular 15w40 no overpriced +50 stuff. Anything that runs on gas gets 5w20 synthetic. I hate to admit it but I get the synthetic from peaveymart and haven’t had any issues with oil loss or low pressure. Walmart engine oil is only good for the transmission and final drives in a 60’s era cat. Fwiw we don’t put enough hours on in a season to wear out the oil between changes.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                        Some don't change oil on leased equipment or trucks !
                        OR on yearly FLIPPED iron, NO oil, NO grease, just drive the sh it out of it....Ritchies needs more iron. Everyone has heard of the Naicam bunch. 4 -1 year old 8910 60' NH3 units at Ritchies! WTF?

Comment

I change them in the fall then start em up once a month or so, pick your warmer days obviously in winter. Store with full fuel tank to avoid condensation issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Bin Lurking View Post
                            I change them in the fall then start em up once a month or so, pick your warmer days obviously in winter. Store with full fuel tank to avoid condensation issues.
                            Is that in Australia or canada? I thought there was still farm work and winter crops going on during the winter in Australia?

Comment

oh, oh

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.