• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can be done about the gouging.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can be done about the gouging.

So last week BASF was out to talk about canola seed. We talked I booked some seed and I mentioned I was concerned about the supply chain including Glyphosate which had influenced a little bit my decision to grow more Invigors. and I asked about Liberty. The rep said “Supply is good and only a modest 3-5 percent increase in price.” I had a few totes I was going to keep till next year but when I heard that I though returning make more sense as I don’t have to keep chemical in the heated shop which my wife hates when the kids are out there a fair bit. Retailer told me today Liberty is up 27 percent for next Spring and there is no inventory to purchase at the old price. Stupid me listening to a chemical company representative. I should know better.

Dekalb lady called said i could get 50 off a bag of seed, i asked 50 off of what and she was stumped.

Comment

Caveat emptor
      Simply supply and demand. Is the consumer going to blame the farmer of gouging for rising food prices?
      Unfortunately the Basf rep misled you. DYODD
      Also be aware that both gly and gluf
      prices follow phosphorus price. 10% of mined phos is used to make these chem formulations and other organophos pesticides. Best get off the treadmill.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
        Dekalb lady called said i could get 50 off a bag of seed, i asked 50 off of what and she was stumped.
        We paid $620 a bag for 99sc at end of Sept at the coop.
        On FCC ..lead with seed, interest free till next sept.

Comment

China’s economy appears in serious trouble and the slowdown may be measured in years. This will
          impact the western world directly.

Current gouging will eventually turn into discounts (IMO). This worsening economic situation is bearish commodities. It is now a sellers market . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
            We paid $620 a bag for 99sc at end of Sept at the coop.
            On FCC ..lead with seed, interest free till next sept.
            The Brick home appliance payment program

Iceman

Comment

Don't feel too bad Graham, I have a contact from Florida that's in ag chem manufacturing, he warned ne in Feb to stock up, couldn't get shipping, couldn't get containers, couldn't get active ingredient from China etc., talked to all my retailers and said "are you sure there's no problem? Cuz i know this guy and he's screaming we are phucked" so like an idiot their reassurance kept ne on the sidelines all year. Im not doing the same again, they don't know or are ignorant. Next week im pulling the pin on fuel and reloading for the entire year ahead

Comment

Our farm has always operated under the premise that if inputs ever got out of line with crop prices, we could go back to a 2/3rds rotation - lentils, durum, chemfallow/cover crop and drop most of our fertilizer requirements. Would also trim a proportionate amount of fuel and herbicide as well.

I realize not everyone can do this but I am of the belief that you need super big crops and high inputs just to make it ends meet, that seems to be contrary to whats coming down the line for this business.

Comment

The only thing that can be done about gouging now is to cut back where you can, look at other crop options and some even considering Chem fallow .

It’s so sad all these excuses are being used to drive up inputs into the stratosphere.

Also I think patients now, it’s gone up this high and for most areas it’s not remotely feasible and risk too high with zero soil moisture at all for 3-4 feet . Fertilizer plants coming back on line , the Democrats are going to be forced sooner or later to bring in the National guard and or military to help clear port congestion fast , they will have no choice . This should have been done months ago if they had a president and Vice President that actually had a clue what they were doing
                  Last edited by furrowtickler; Oct 23, 2021, 07:46.

Comment

I see where AB wht is hiring a private UK company to investigate and report your grain sales and pricing. Not sure what your foreign owned grain companies and buyers will think about that. Seems a private foreign company having open books to report on another company and countries deals might not go over that good in the long run. IMHO

How about someone using checkoff $ to investigate some of these deals you guys are talking about instead? If inputs were more in line with returns year over year might be good for farmers.

Comment

Go to Lake for a year screw it!

Comment

A sorely needed 100 basis points increase in rates and all the inputs along with grain prices fall back very quickly. Shortages disappear as well since inflation premiums deflate. Since the rain was a bust last night don't need to order any fertilizer. 25 bu/ac @ $20 is the same revenue as 50 bu/ac @$10. Less grain bags, trucking and fertilizer required.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                          I see where AB wht is hiring a private UK company to investigate and report your grain sales and pricing. Not sure what your foreign owned grain companies and buyers will think about that. Seems a private foreign company having open books to report on another company and countries deals might not go over that good in the long run. IMHO

How about someone using checkoff $ to investigate some of these deals you guys are talking about instead? If inputs were more in line with returns year over year might be good for farmers.
                          Saskeverything commissions were tasked with export sales reporting...looks like others have our interests more in mind than the checkoff funds.

Pretty interesting...sure would like to hear from the commissions how they couldn't get it done.

Volumes and average prices reported like the USDA has done for 50 years.

Comment

This is how Covid has changed the dynamics of global economics.

Hot rolled steel prices have gone up 4X over the past year. The hottest commodity in the world. China produces about 60 percent of global steel production. The western world combined produces less than 30 percent.

China placed a heavy export tariff on its domestic steel producers. Why? Possibly to stop steel from leaving China. Hoarding. So China now is effectively exporting inflation into global economies on steel shipments.

Now the developer/real estate crash is in-progress. China’s economy appears in a serious slowdown.

2 plus 2 suggests China is going to be sitting on a pile of unwanted steel soon. Will the export tariff come off? Who knows. But even if it doesn’t, steel prices have likely topped and heading lower (IMO). If the tariff comes off, global steel prices could crash.

That’s bearish commodities (IMO) . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
                              This is how Covid has changed the dynamics of global economics. . .
                              The CCP made evergrandes bond payment yesterday errol.

In a world full of money printing since 2009, everything can be papered over now, until it cant.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.