• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can be done about the gouging.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iceman View Post
    The Brick home appliance payment program

Iceman
    Plus coop gave us 3% cash back.
    Makes for a nice cheque..

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
      This is how Covid has changed the dynamics of global economics.

Hot rolled steel prices have gone up 4X over the past year. The hottest commodity in the world. China produces about 60 percent of global steel production. The western world combined produces less than 30 percent.

China placed a heavy export tariff on its domestic steel producers. Why? Possibly to stop steel from leaving China. Hoarding. So China now is effectively exporting inflation into global economies on steel shipments.

Now the developer/real estate crash is in-progress. China’s economy appears in a serious slowdown.

2 plus 2 suggests China is going to be sitting on a pile of unwanted steel soon. Will the export tariff come off? Who knows. But even if it doesn’t, steel prices have likely topped and heading lower (IMO). If the tariff comes off, global steel prices could crash.

That’s bearish commodities (IMO) . . . .
      There is a steel company in Regina, but its owned by a Russian. Canadian government is still funding eastern steel mills. 400 million each to dofasco and Algoma. Profitable businesses but still propped up by government . Couldn't our steel requirements be made in Canada without using pricing from collusion.

Same goes for fertilizer.

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
        This is how Covid has changed the dynamics of global economics.

Hot rolled steel prices have gone up 4X over the past year. The hottest commodity in the world. China produces about 60 percent of global steel production. The western world combined produces less than 30 percent.

China placed a heavy export tariff on its domestic steel producers. Why? Possibly to stop steel from leaving China. Hoarding. So China now is effectively exporting inflation into global economies on steel shipments.

Now the developer/real estate crash is in-progress. China’s economy appears in a serious slowdown.

2 plus 2 suggests China is going to be sitting on a pile of unwanted steel soon. Will the export tariff come off? Who knows. But even if it doesn’t, steel prices have likely topped and heading lower (IMO). If the tariff comes off, global steel prices could crash.

That’s bearish commodities (IMO) . . . .
        Thank China for the release of this virus that started all of this mess with help from those who funded the research in Wuhan and the WHO for being compromised for at the very top .
        Many pointed this out in the first month of this “pandemic” now this is the result and your not wrong , China now holds the rest of the world like strings of a puppet

Comment

Xi Jinping knows international leaders are morons.

Just look at Trudeau.

Biden is failing....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            Xi Jinping knows international leaders are morons.

Just look at Trudeau.

Biden is failing....
            'Lets Go Brandon' the #1 song on iTunes also banned in Canada.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211018-133640_TikTok.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	771868
            Last edited by biglentil; Oct 23, 2021, 09:18.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
              Thats part of the plan

Then pull the pin at the end of 2022 put on a Stetson and ride off into the sunset !
              Maybe I will put my land into permanent chemfallow as a protest. World doesnt deserve my food.
              muh Net Zero.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                Maybe I will put my land into permanent chemfallow as a protest. World doesnt deserve my food.
                muh Net Zero.
                Must be nice to have paid for land...

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  When the BTOs land lock you for 20yrs you will find your stock portfolio income grows bigger than your farm income.

Practically a hobby farmer now.
                  Last edited by jazz; Oct 23, 2021, 14:17.

Comment

Why is everyone so certain that input suppliers are gouging us?
                    They are all facing increased raw product costs, transportation costs, energy costs, labor costs, regulation, risks and uncertainties, plus supply chain constraints and shortages.
                    Yet myself as a farmer, I have doubled the prices of my products this year, yet my costs to grow the 2021 crop certainly didn't double, maybe the farmer is the one doing the gouging? Admittedly, 2022 will be a different story.
                    And what about the hay farmers with good crops in my local area, prices are up by two or three times, yet their costs barely changed from last year.

I guess I don't go through life assuming that someone else is out to get me at every turn.
                    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 23, 2021, 14:34.

Comment

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go…………

The cows gotta eat and don’t give a hoot about viruses, floods, fires, strikes, supply chain issues, or anything else. When they’s not happy ain’t nobody happy.

P.S. Same goes for the bank…………..😎

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                        I owe, I owe, so off to work I go…………

The cows gotta eat and don’t give a hoot about viruses, floods, fires, strikes, supply chain issues, or anything else. When they’s not happy ain’t nobody happy.

P.S. Same goes for the bank…………..😎
                        What are you talking about? You mean you can't just summer fallow your cows for a year?
                        Just wait until prices and weather conditions improve and then start feeding them and calving them again.
                        Not only does the average city dweller not have a clue I get the impression that most farmers who don't have livestock often don't get it either.
                        I'm quite certain that our elected officials don't get it judging by the programs available to grain farmers and almost nothing workable for livestock even though the consequences are so much more serious
                        Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 23, 2021, 14:47.

Comment

Why is everyone so certain that input suppliers are gouging us?
                          They are all facing increased raw product costs, transportation costs, energy costs, labor costs, regulation, risks and uncertainties, plus supply chain constraints and shortages.
                          Yet myself as a farmer, I have doubled the prices of my products this year, yet my costs to grow the 2021 crop certainly didn't double, maybe the farmer is the one doing the gouging? Admittedly, 2022 will be a different story.
                          And what about the hay farmers with good crops in my local area, prices are up by two or three times, yet their costs barely changed from last year.

I guess I don't go through life assuming that someone else is out to get me at every turn.
                          It’s all relative , if one had good crops , it’s a relatively easy scenario as you say .

30-40 bus canola pays bills this year , 10 or less does not , then next years inputs become the nightmare scenario . It’s all in perspective I guess

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            It’s all relative , if one had good crops , it’s a relatively easy scenario as you say .

30-40 bus canola pays bills this year , 10 or less does not , then next years inputs become the nightmare scenario . It’s all in perspective I guess
                            I get that. Your cost for unit of production went up drastically this year. Mine went down. Yet I am still selling my product for the same high price that you are. I think that makes me more guilty of price gouging then the chemical or fertilizer or fuel suppliers doesn't it?
                            At last I checked there was no such thing as taxpayer subsidized production insurance for the input suppliers.
                            I'm sure that if the shoe was on the other foot, I would have a different perspective.
                            And we have certainly spent enough time on the other side of the equation between hail and frosts and floods. Business as usual out here on the fridge and budget accordingly.
                            I spent much of the previous boom years looking in from the outside, thanks to excess rain and hail.

Comment

I get that. Your cost for unit of production went up drastically this year. Mine went down. Yet I am still selling my product for the same high price that you are. I think that makes me more guilty of price gouging then the chemical or fertilizer or fuel suppliers doesn't it?
                              At last I checked there was no such thing as taxpayer subsidized production insurance for the input suppliers.
                              I'm sure that if the shoe was on the other foot, I would have a different perspective.
                              And we have certainly spent enough time on the other side of the equation between hail and frosts and floods. Business as usual out here on the fridge and budget accordingly.
                              I spent much of the previous boom years looking in from the outside, thanks to excess rain and hail.
                              Absolutely yup 👍

Some of us never really seen much of the boom years contrary to popular belief . Did ok , but never in history has anyone seen this situation with this high prices and inputs at the same time . Even 2000-2002 and the frost wipe out of 2004 , all relative costs were 2-4x less and supply of inputs was really no issue so it was workable for most

For a lot here and east , 10-15 bus /ac at ave $13-14 don’t pay for much even before this price run up on both side of the equation
                              Last edited by furrowtickler; Oct 23, 2021, 16:00.

Comment

What are you talking about? You mean you can't just summer fallow your cows for a year?
                                Just wait until prices and weather conditions improve and then start feeding them and calving them again.
                                Not only does the average city dweller not have a clue I get the impression that most farmers who don't have livestock often don't get it either.
                                I'm quite certain that our elected officials don't get it judging by the programs available to grain farmers and almost nothing workable for livestock even though the consequences are so much more serious
                                What program for grainfarmers?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.