• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well, the door to the 2021 farming year is slowly closing. We went from night temps of plus 8 to -8 real fast and this weekend we have a larger low crossing across the province, could be interesting but probably won't amount to much.

Lots have finished fall harrowing, were down to under 3000 to go. That can get done before we seed in spring. The kelly will go till freeze up but the last week it just knocks down cattails so they don't catch snow.

The Cat will go till the 8th of November and that will be the day we park it for the year.

See the border is open, I got a clean bill of health yesterday at the general hospital and joe opened the border to Canadians been able to travel south with a vehicle with just a double vax, and it's a go. I'm doing a boy's trip to take the Yukon south but the Deere strike has caused a few stops on the way to not happen. I guess there is always the Dyersville toy museum, Graceland, and Nashville.

We were supposed to get the new deere 590hp quad track with a newly designed cab but it looks like that is a bust for now.

Few guys are still picking up bales in the area and fixing fences most have taken their animals home to by their yards.

The organic guy just swath his flax its green so probably the best bet is to let it sit in the swath all winter and then harvest in spring. Wasnt a year for organic at all 17 to 24 flax and maybe 1 to 3 flax organic. Tillage didn't work in a drought. The last of the July green feed is baled. Some do corn and eclectic fence some just wrap bales and done.

Still guys out tandem discing and burning all sloughs as we have smoke most days.

Grain is slowing down going to town so most have filled contracts licked their wounds and now are telling grain companies to **** off and come back with some real prices. Lots of 12 to 15 dollar canola is sitting at crushers now in super deals done last winter and spring.

Oh, there is a malt contract out yesterday for the fall of 2022. $5.50 for malt. I said **** you and the horse you rode in on. I'll grow oats for that and actually make money. Oats hit $10.00 this week. Yea some will do ok. Malt is a dirty game and they want cheap barley well with this year's shit show with growing barley I bet the acreage will be so low next year it won't be even funny. Barley didn't like the heat.

Peas are going higher as the crop really sucked.

The seed will be costly for most this next year. Peas seed $60 an acre, Barley 20 oats 25 durum 40 to 60 wheat 30, etc.

Now costly anhydrous went from .64 cents an lb delivered to own wagons to .94 cents in 4 days. Can you say we're getting ****ed royally since they make it here we use all except some is shipped to the USA and it's made at 5 Gig natural gas, not $38? It's highway robbery yet the pigs will try to get it. The fertilizer shit show is just that a big ****ing joke.

Get your Glypos yet better it's tripped in price.

**** me the farmer always gets ****ed.

Next, they are blaming inflation on the food price increase. What 10 oats equal to .65 cents a box of cereal.

I guess does it really matter now if gas is 2 dollars an lb or three or wait till spring who gives a ****.

Have a great day be safe talk to your neighbors and doesn't this remind all of the 1979 to 1988 time frame. So true history repeats its self.

Good Job, it looks like you’ve got the bull by the tail 💪 Glad to hear you have a clean bill of health and a fun winter planned. We’ll be looking forward to the US reports.
    Last edited by sumdumguy; Oct 21, 2021, 07:43.

Comment

Yea I was a bit worried as they run a camera right up the old shoot all the way to the area affected last year. Your out cold.

The Deere strike is interesting as in the USA Deere and equipment affect things if they are not running. I think it will be a short strike.

But who knows.

Cat is fun at this time of year so far we cleaned a half-mile of bush along a fence line and 5 bushes that were tramped before the rains started.

Have starter fertilizer booked and pay at delivery. But Anhydrous is the tough one.

Soil tests are back and yes we fertilized insane last spring. I still have 28 lbs of N and lots of potash and sulfur and micros. I might do an 80s anhydrous and drop to 60 lbs to 80 for 2022. Still grow the same as two years ago because at 24 inches down we could grow a crop.

Comment

Tell desantis there are a few million Canadians here on the prairies ready to move out of commie canada for good.

Not sure if you heard about the snowbird bill they are trying to get through? Allows up to 240d residency in US.

By this time next yr it will take 4 shots to leave Canada though.

Comment

When Florida is cooking the best part for Americans is the No tax on investments. So if your American sell your farm in ND pay whatever to get out of ND in Tax and then move the money to Florida and retire whatever you make on the money is like a tax-free savings account. Lots sell their businesses or farms and move to Florida for that reason. Plus it's a fun place. The amount of money brought in by tourism is amazing.

Now With the shit show in Calgary for mayor and Edmonton. What a joke. The Calgary lady said her first priority was oil is dead. **** me your in charge of an oil town and that's your opening comments. You are ****ed from the start.

Big oil Regina and Saskatoon are waiting for you. Ok move to Regina Sandra is ready for anyone to move to our city. Saskatoon has a Bike pedal mayor who must have fallen off his bike so wear a helmet.

Fall is a fun time on the farm till the first hard frosts start then you know the next thing is the white stuff and then it's time for this big Goose to leave Canada. Cant wait.

Comment

We are 80% done fall fert.
            With the last 1.1 inches of rain conditions are excellent.
            Even have mud on tank tires.
            Spikes will make 1600 acres compared to only 800 last yr..
            Doing are part..mother nature will determine next yrs yields..

Comment

We finished harvest 2021 on Tuesday night. A full 6 to 8 months earlier than the past 4 years. Almost all grain was taken off dry or close enough to dry that it won't be a full time job babysitting, turning, drying checking, waking up in the middle of the night panicked that a bin might not have been checked in 3 days. Only 2 bins ( out of 50 ish bins) of extremely tough grain, as opposed to last year when there was only 2 bins of dry grain. It has been years since we have had the luxury of deciding to wait a day or two for the grain to dry.

Have been harvesting in November, and even December, and in the snow for so many consecutive years that I didn't realize that post harvest anything was an option.

Other than one quarter of barley that was all flat, and some of the wheat, everything else was moreor less standing. Hired help commented that he has never combined standing canola before, it has been snowed flat for as long as he has been helping. What a difference that makes to equipment damage, speed, fuel consumption etc.

Apparently this is what normal looks like everywhere else, who knew.

I don't think I will budget on this happening every year.

The farm wide September hailstorm was worse than I thought on the barley, up to 90%, wheat not nearly as bad, and canola, some of which was in the eye of the storm not nearly as bad as it could have been, being still very green at that time, and mostly pod shatter. But even losses in the teens is a lot of dollars laying on the ground on a year like this.

Comment

Thanks to all who tune into the Thursday crop report on a Friday. It's fun and it's farmers not some guy in an office.

Speaking of the guy in an office ask how well Canola seed from Pioneer will be coming next spring. It seems the agronomist mis calculated on the fields and pod shatter etc and they have about 2/3 less seed for sale in 2022.

Fun times maybe ask a farmer to look at the crop.

Working on flights south and hotels etc fun times with new covid passports etc.

Oh and skippy is ****ing nuts.

Comment

Done.

Finished the stubborn flax field yesterday. 40-50% green and a little moist to say the least. Sitting on air right now to see if any green will come out, but have my doubts. Most likely end up feed which is still good money.

Fall work has been done for a while excluding the aforementioned flax field.

Comment

Flax worth $50/ bus.?

Comment

Hey is Bank of America in Trouble and is most of it owned by the Chinese who are also in trouble with loans in China.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                        Hey is Bank of America in Trouble and is most of it owned by the Chinese who are also in trouble with loans in China.
                        Looks like they could be in deep with china.

But watch our backyard too. Trudeau just extended some benefits again to the tune of $7.5B.

Canada is fcked.

Comment

Finished anhydrous today. gone up 550/t since we booked ours in early sept.

Comment

Saskfarmer I really appreciate your view of things on this world and you are more right than wrong but I am jealous of all the the fall moisture you guys received. We are still on empty here.

Comment

Thanks, it's been an interesting fall for sure.

Grain sales have slowed down. I did cash out over-delivered Canola from our June delivery that was off the November a plus 46. Now all last year's canola is gone.

It's always good to reward yourself a little.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.