• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's fault anyway ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's fault anyway ?

So every morning in western Canada fuel trucks pull into every farm yard and fill every tractor, combine and truck so we can operate for the day and they do this every day all year right ? Getting a little tired of the auto guys complaining that the just in time things not working. Gee who would have guessed !.... my rant. chilly this morn - 1.

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
    So every morning in western Canada fuel trucks pull into every farm yard and fill every tractor, combine and truck so we can operate for the day and they do this every day all year right ? Getting a little tired of the auto guys complaining that the just in time things not working. Gee who would have guessed !.... my rant. chilly this morn - 1.
    Could be true about not getting supplies for many things as the backlog of containers in L.A. Port and shortage of truckers is raising havoc in USA. This would definitely effect Canada as well.

I do see your point, it does seem to be the catch all excuse used everywhere now.

Personally I figure as a farmer I should be thinking of what inputs (supplies) I need in the spring and start getting things in motion now.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
      Could be true about not getting supplies for many things as the backlog of containers in L.A. Port and shortage of truckers is raising havoc in USA. This would definitely effect Canada as well.

I do see your point, it does seem to be the catch all excuse used everywhere now.

Personally I figure as a farmer I should be thinking of what inputs (supplies) I need in the spring and start getting things in motion now.
      We get most things lined up in the fall but burnoff partner chemical and in crop, etc. Don't have heated storage for that. Don't really want it in case of fire or theft either.

Comment

Fert deliveries in spring not even guaranteed to our dealers.
        Canola seed a real supply shortage.
        Speak for in crop herb now.
        Dealer may get 80%.
        Crap, we'll need $10 wheat again.

Comment

And the really scary part is that we are playing the same russian roulette game of just in time delivery with our entire food supply. Works until it doesn't. I've been more worried about a volcanic winter, or asteroid impact or rogue global cooling experiment or disease/pest disrupting worldwide food supplies, not self inflicted supply chain issues.

Our grandparents all had months if not years of non perishable food in stock, along with the tools and supplies and knowledge to make more. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            And the really scary part is that we are playing the same russian roulette game of just in time delivery with our entire food supply. Works until it doesn't. I've been more worried about a volcanic winter, or asteroid impact or rogue global cooling experiment or disease/pest disrupting worldwide food supplies, not self inflicted supply chain issues.

Our grandparents all had months if not years of non perishable food in stock, along with the tools and supplies and knowledge to make more. I wouldn't even know where to start.
            All that seems more obvious every day but all our leaders worry about is the pandemic and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
              We get most things lined up in the fall but burnoff partner chemical and in crop, etc. Don't have heated storage for that. Don't really want it in case of fire or theft either.
              Bought trail cameras from Cabela's and put up signs on the farm indicating there are cameras on property.

Hopefully it helps, but of COURSE some thieves don't scare easily if they have addictions.

Comment

Bought trail cameras from Cabela's and put up signs on the farm indicating there are cameras on property.

Hopefully it helps, but of COURSE some thieves don't scare easily if they have addictions.
                Just about every street, business and a lot of homes in towns have cameras it isn't a detent anymore in fact many look right at them and give the finger or laugh.

Comment

Pretty easy to pass the blame up the supply chain re shortages. But warehouse space is at an all time low. Warehouses are full to the brim across North America to the point if cargo is unloaded at port there is very limited warehouse space to receive it so congestion simply moves from port to roadways and warehouses. So the question becomes are the warehouses full of stuff for which there is no market? Or full of stuff with more potential value staying in inventory in this inflationary period than selling it at current prices. No different than the calls by some posters to lock your bins because grain prices will be higher in a few months.

“Warehouses are more full than they’ve ever been,” said Dale Rogers, professor of logistics and supply chain management at Arizona State University. https://www.marketplace.org/2021/10/05/warehouse-space-is-getting-tight/

And from Bloomberg in a May 2021 article
                  No Vacancy
                  Canadian cities have the lowest warehouse vacancy rates in North America

Logistics consultant Richard Kunst is seeing the fallout first hand, as companies try to fill orders and move merchandise. One client, a food manufacturer, has been forced to pack roughly a third of its orders in a parking lot. Others are so desperate for warehouse space Kunst has advised they ask local farmers if they can keep goods in their fields. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-05/amazon-fuels-north-america-s-most-severe-warehouse-shortage

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                    Pretty easy to pass the blame up the supply chain re shortages. But warehouse space is at an all time low. Warehouses are full to the brim across North America to the point if cargo is unloaded at port there is very limited warehouse space to receive it so congestion simply moves from port to roadways and warehouses. So the question becomes are the warehouses full of stuff for which there is no market? Or full of stuff with more potential value staying in inventory in this inflationary period than selling it at current prices. No different than the calls by some posters to lock your bins because grain prices will be higher in a few months.

“Warehouses are more full than they’ve ever been,” said Dale Rogers, professor of logistics and supply chain management at Arizona State University. https://www.marketplace.org/2021/10/05/warehouse-space-is-getting-tight/

And from Bloomberg in a May 2021 article
                    No Vacancy
                    Canadian cities have the lowest warehouse vacancy rates in North America

Logistics consultant Richard Kunst is seeing the fallout first hand, as companies try to fill orders and move merchandise. One client, a food manufacturer, has been forced to pack roughly a third of its orders in a parking lot. Others are so desperate for warehouse space Kunst has advised they ask local farmers if they can keep goods in their f. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-05/amazon-fuels-north-america-s-most-severe-warehouse-shortage
                    So if warehouses are full there is no shortages of many things ? Why is this stuff not moving ?
                    Creating a panic , and over exaggerating the situation..... sounds like a familiar theme the past 2 years .

Comment

Not a shortage of most things just huge shortage of truckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
                        Not a shortage of most things just huge shortage of truckers.
                        Can the Nation Guard or military be called upon before this becomes an even larger train wreck ?

Comment

Military contracts out a lot of there equipment transport so I wonder if they could even supply a lot of drivers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...