• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water assistance program kinda doesn’t make sense

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water assistance program kinda doesn’t make sense

So ranchers in our area saying they have
    Enough dugouts etc but have gone dry
    What they need is assistance with hauling
    Or pumping water. What good is a new dugout
    That’s empty with no water for many miles?
    Wrecking more land by digging. Maybe some
    Of the assistance should have gone this way
    After all the need is right now not next spring
    Hopefully.

I have a spring I found a few years ago, flows 30 gallons a minute, it’s on my government lease pasture land, lease and sask environment people have no problem with me trenching the water a little more than a mile to another pasture and my wintering site but I’m having trouble with getting approval from some Sask heritage red tape place, a month ago it sounded like I’d get approval first week of October, it takes 15 minutes to write the letter, now they don’t have time to write the letter, maybe an MLA can light the fire.

I’m wondering how long a 2 inch hose will take to freeze this winter above ground, the water is uphill about 80 feet.

Comment

Finally got the approval to start my water project as I was on my way to Saskatoon to pick up my pipe, I’m going to start trenching today, I hope the old Drott 40 has 8000 feet of trenching left in her, she’s a little tired but with a little luck we’ll do fine.

I picked up the 2inch pipe from EPG Saskatoon, I guess they are still selling pipe quicker than they can truck it in, I couldn’t find any in southern Saskatchewan.

Comment

Dig a dugout or dig a well - 50%

Comment

Quick stop at Davidson.

I tried to post a picture of the pipe but can’t quite get it done, no big deal, the two rolls of 2 inch black poly are four feet wide and over nine feet high each, cost a little more than twelve thousand, it’s going to be nice having good water at the ranch.
          Last edited by TSIPP; Oct 16, 2021, 16:44.

Comment

Regarding whether your line would freeze or not on the surface, with 80’ of head you are 35psi of pressure, and a 2” pipe with 1.5” ID and 8000’ long would give you around 18L/min or 4.7gal/min, that is more than enough flow to prevent freezing if kept flowing continuously.
            Last edited by Taiga; Oct 16, 2021, 17:34.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
              Dig a dugout or dig a well - 50%
              A lot of dugouts in this area are going alkaline, those wet years brought the alkaline up and now cows aren’t doing good on the alkaline water.

I’ve always had good water for the house but at a gallon a minute it’s not enough to winter the cows at home.

Comment

It’s actually 2 inch ID, so maybe it’ll run a little more than 5 gallons a minute, I’m not sure, I tried finding a water flow calculator online but I didn’t find one that I could figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
                  It’s actually 2 inch ID, so maybe it’ll run a little more than 5 gallons a minute, I’m not sure, I tried finding a water flow calculator online but I didn’t find one that I could figure out.
                  Will be closer to 8.5gal/min then, almost double the cross sectional area.

Comment

TSIPP if you can get 8 gpm delivered by gravity that’s huge in my books. The electricity alone adds up when we’re pumping we’ll water for everyone in the winter.

Is the pipe HDPE? Are you fusing or using compression fittings? We got quite a few miles of pipe buried or plowed in. The cows and I think it’s great. Should do more yet. Pics would great.

Good luck🍀

Some 2” we put in a few years ago. 2.75 miles servicing 6 quarters. Love it.

Comment

The pipe is HDPE so it’s pretty ridge, I’ll be using compression fittings and maybe a few saddles where I’ll connect frost free hydrants.

I haven’t used an electric watering bowl for about 20 years, the water flows into a tire trough and whatever the cattle don’t drink flows into a nearby slough, my late fall early wintering site 2 1/2 miles away has an artesian well that flows 52 psi it’s 450 feet deep it only flows 20 gallons a minute but if I pulled the screen out it’ll flow about 300 gallons a minute, it dose flow into a large slough.

I’ve tried numerous times to post a couple pictures with my iPad and it won’t load, I have posted pictures before but I can’t seem to get it done.

Comment

Need water to have a pasture. Sounds like you are well set up.

Comment

I’m fairly set up but after a 4 year drought the rules keep changing, an old fashioned winter with lots of snow would really help the water situation.

Comment

Some of my land was bought because of the water on it but one quarter with a spring fed dugout on it tested well over twelve thousand ppm of total dissolved solids, I’ve never heard of water that bad in this area, I guess I know why nothing left a muddy foot print near the water.

Comment

What the hell good is digging another dugout
                              If there is no water to put in it. If there is snow
                              The old ones will fill won’t need the new one.
                              Should have been some assistance for hauling
                              As well as piping. In our area no water
                              Close enough to pump. If you want to keep
                              An industry going do what’s needed immediately
                              Then loon further down rhe road.
                              Not one person received the so called feed assistance
                              Yet around here has anyone?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.