• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor packers?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor packers?

I heard Hoss Hammer on the radio this morning mentioning the proposed aid package and saying how we should apply for it. Also stated there was "no money for the packers this time." I wonder...
    Lets suppose the scheme goes ahead on the basis of $200 on 40% of the calf crop. Next fall these set aside calves start to be slaughtered and all that the packer cartel need to do is drop the price they pay on all slaughter cattle by around $6/cwt and they would collect the whole sum. ($200 aid on 40% of the calf crop equals $80 on 100% of the calf crop, so dropping 1300lb fats by $6/cwt gets them their $80)
    Call me cynical if you like but the point I am trying to make is that we musn't give up the battle now. All the talk of helping build slaughter plants announced at the same time as the aid package must be acted on and we need to keep pressure up on those in power to do so. The aid package is being called the way ahead for the industry and it is a positive move but don't think for a minute Cargill and Tyson want any part of this restructuring to help raise the price of fats. I believe they will continue to steal our future liveliehoods unless they are challenged at every stage.

I heard today from a reliable sorce that Cargil is netting $1.3M per day.

Watch for Nortwest Cattlemen's Alliance at cowboylogic.biz

New infomration to be updated soon.

Comment

Good on ya rusty. We need to be proding our elusterous leaders to stand on the soap boxes and tell the 3 - parasites that we don't need them to expand, Thank you Very Much!

Comment

Beef producers would be misinformed if they believe the announcement of government assistance for increased packing plant capacity is not 90% earmarked for the big packers.

The big packers sit on the same Beef Industry Roundtable elbow to elbow with CCA and government where these initiatives are developed. Producers should not be fooled for one minute into believing that Cargill, Tyson and XL have had a hand in crafting this new strategy without ensuring they get the lions share. The Beef Industry Roundtable is on record as saying that they are looking to the Canadian Meat Council for expansion in the industry. By definition this excludes any potential new entrants such as producer owned co-ops.

Correct me if you can, but I do not recall one instance of industry supporting producer owned packing plants in Alberta. Yes there has been support in Manitoba but certainly no support in Alberta from government or our beef associations for producer owned packing plants. In fact, the Alberta government is against the idea.

Tyson and Cargill have already announced their plans to expand, this money is going to them. Expansion in the packing industry does no good if it does not lead to increased competition.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...