• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's in a pile

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's in a pile

Well it's a small pile of corn silage ( about 6 tons / acre ) about a 1/3 of last years. I see a pattern here this year. Good news is quality is good, bad news it takes about just as long to cut up and down corn as it takes to cut 12FT stuff so chopper bill won't change much. Several crews working in this area right now so fields are getting cleaned off pretty quick.

6 tons sounds like a lot but 18 wow. Is the
    Value of corn ton of silage same as say
    Barley etc? And do you need different
    Type of chopper?

Comment

I’ve always been interested in barley vs corn silage.

Corn has potential for greater yields but it seems input heavy and higher risk compared to barley. At least in my mind which has never had much to do with corn besides driving past it 😂

What made you do corn Cowzilla? And how do inputs and pull on soil compare to barley? How much rain do you need to have corn consistently outdo barley?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
        Well it's a small pile of corn silage ( about 6 tons / acre ) about a 1/3 of last years. I see a pattern here this year. Good news is quality is good, bad news it takes about just as long to cut up and down corn as it takes to cut 12FT stuff so chopper bill won't change much. Several crews working in this area right now so fields are getting cleaned off pretty quick.
        How is everyone making out for feed down there? The phone has slowed up with calls for hay lately and I think most folks are somewhat organized for winter now. I’d say our grazing corn is around 2/3 the yield or so compared to last year. Haven’t moved into it yet but we’re grazing hay and stubble fields now.

I think the cows will be happy. I know the corn is the only crop of ours that I am truly impressed with how it handled this summer. 🍀

Comment

Corn did well here for the most part , a few real dry areas the corn was burnt out
          Checked out a few varieties in a plot with 14 we have
          Picked an average cob from the first 6 on the early CHU side of the plot ..

First time in several years you can see true difference between varieties and heat units. The last 4-5 years earlier than normal fall frost have limited the corn development a lot here .

Comment

We loved corn silage for the massive amount of energy that an acre would produce . But getting the chopper crew at the right time was an issue. Too soon and wet silage was sour with too much liquid running out then too much frozen. Too late and it was hard to pack.

Barley silage fit in nicely though. The best silage feed value wise we ever did was barley interseeded with fall rye. The green of the rye mixed with the barley upped the RFV as well as gave us fall, and spring grazing off the field. Kept the ground covered all season as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
              I’ve always been interested in barley vs corn silage.

Corn has potential for greater yields but it seems input heavy and higher risk compared to barley. At least in my mind which has never had much to do with corn besides driving past it 😂

What made you do corn Cowzilla? And how do inputs and pull on soil compare to barley? How much rain do you need to have corn consistently outdo barley?
              Cost wise pretty much same as canola for inputs , chopping close to $110.00 / acre plus fuel . Much of the barley around here a dud, corn keeps looking for water when barley gives up. Best part of corn is feed value doesn't change much from year to year. Corn responds well to cow poo and heat just add water. Most guys have no choice for feed now with rising land values need as much feed / acre to make it work.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...