• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American election

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American election

At the presort sale in Innisfail yesterday, the owner Jack Daines, apparently gave a little speech saying that if Bush got back in the border would open fairly fast. He went on to say that a Kerry/Edwards win would be a disaster(at least for us)! He ripped Edwards more than Kerry!
    So to all you Americans out there...what is your gut feeling on how this election is going to go?

Don't forget that whoever wins, the new one isn't sworn in until January.

Comment

It is hard to beleive that Bush is our friend when it come to trade

Comment

This is how I see it from south of the border. Bush definitely would be the best choice for Canadians. He is very much pro big business and world trade. Kerry has already came out and said that he is pro-COOL, pro packer ownership ban and that if elected he would call for a reevaluation of all trade agreements and USDA policies. He is backed by most of the unions. Right now if nothing drastic happens it looks like Bush will be elected. But it still is close.

I think one of the big worries to Canadians is not the presidential election, but the congressional and senate races. Some of the anti free trade and anti border candidates are leading in the polls. A good example is Daschle from South Dakota. He is pro-COOL, anti packer ownership, and anti border opening . He also had about a 10 point lead in the last polls.

Much of the country is turning more and more protectionist with the continued loss of jobs and industries to Mexico, Central America, China and the rest of the world. When Levi's (a national institution) announced last week that none of their products were still made in the US, it made national news. Many of the anti-trade candidates are winning ground and could be elected.

Even if Bush gets elected, if he loses any supporters in Congress he may have a tough time opening the border even if he wants to. USDA still has to develop a procedure and rules for the opening. These are all subject to some type of Congressional oversight and review. Congressional and court challenges could delay any action for months or longer.

Comment

i don't think it makes a great deal of difference to canada who the president is for the next term. the us is becoming more protectionist in any event and bush's friends are whoever will support his foreign policy. my feeling is that if we are going to get back into the american market with live cattle we'll have to blast our way in with trade challenges. ottawa will be very little help.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...