• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time for Alberta to get tough!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for Alberta to get tough!!

WEEKLY COMMENTARY
    "Just Between Us"

September 13, 2004

It's time for Albertans to get tough with Ottawa

I don't know Bob Foulkes and he doesn't know me. But for some reason he seems to think he does.

Foulkes wrote a piece in the Calgary Herald last week diagnosing me as basically paranoid.

He didn't name me specifically. He said it about the majority of Albertans (60% plus) who advocate greater use of provincial rights. All two million of us. He imagines we are motivated by "frustration, resentment, and fear."

Political debate in this country would go a whole lot better if everyone would stick to the issues and stop getting personal. I'm sure Bob's a well-motivated guy. He just happens to be wrong.

Foulkes rejects the idea of Alberta running its own provincial replacements to the Canada Pension Plan, the RCMP and federal collection of provincial taxes--three things Albertans have the constitutional right to do for themselves the way Quebec does. He says those of us who promote these things want to "isolate Alberta" and "turn our backs on Canada."

This is false. We don't.

Take the pension plan. Alberta has a unilateral right to opt into its own separate pension plan after three years' notice to the federal government. After negotiations with Ottawa, a seamless transition would occur. Pensioners would not even notice the difference.

But why do it, asks Foulkes. Because (a) Albertans would get the same benefits as they do from the CPP at significantly less cost, and (b) Alberta's departure would force CPP premiums up in the remaining provinces, creating a national furor.

Admittedly, an Alberta pension plan would be only slightly less of a rip-off to young Albertans than the Canada Pension Plan, which is a misconceived boondoggle. Alberta has been pointing this out for years. But creating an Alberta Pension Plan is the only lever Alberta has to force national pension reform. We have to be willing to use it.

In more adaptive nations, like Chile, citizens are now required to bank 10% of their personal income in private retirement funds. They choose between competing, regulated private plans, and the money remains in their estate, not the government's. Although anyone can still claim pension benefits from the government as an alternative, most people do better in the private system.

But here we bump up against the modern Canadian dilemma, much like we do with medicare, employment insurance, regional development and fiscal equalization. To start the CPP, Ottawa first invaded a provincial jurisdiction by making promises it couldn't possibly keep. To pay for it, the feds vigorously siphon billions upon billions out of Ontario and Alberta.

So what should Albertans do?

Bob Foulkes says we should "continue our outspoken participation in the affairs of the nation [which] has enriched the federation."

This is pure malarkey. Alberta has less influence now in Ottawa than it did before the Reform Party showed up in Parliament chanting the West Wants In. The federal government is more corrupt, more centralized, more bereft of ideas, and more hostile.

The only "enrichment" the feds need or want from Alberta is the net $12 billion they take out each year in taxes and don't send back in spending. They value our money, not our point of view.

People like Bob have to decide whether they want eastern Canada to like us or to respect us. If it's respect, we must start exercising our rights.

- Link Byfield

Link Byfield is chairman of the Edmonton-based Citizens Centre for Freedom and Democracy.

IVB.......what about a party called "Bloc Alberta`"or somesuch.Has a nice ring .....says it all....Why are we so slow to catch on to what it takes??

Comment

I've always found it strange that people say things are fine for Quebec but we mustn't do them here in the west? Quebec can decide how they want to spend their money but Alberta is some sort of dumbie that needs big brother in Ottawa to make our decisions for us?
      I also find it strange if 60% of Albertans support this "firewall" thing, that our premier continues to push the federal line? Makes you wonder who Ralph really represents?
      If Alberta can save some money on these various things, then why would we not go for it? Are we a province of half wits or something?
      We send $12 billion a year to Ottawa. That works out to what? Around $4000 for every man, woman and child? I believe that is net! So a family of four sends $16,000!
      What do we get in return? Well, a lot of really silly laws and a lot of contempt! The politicians in Ottawa enjoy the money and take great delight in blowing it like a pack of drunken sailors!
      Just think what we could do with that $12 billion/every year? Maybe we could get some decent roads, airports, bridges? Maybe we could upgrade our education system so a kid doesn't come out of school owing $60,000! Maybe we could afford to take care of our disabled and senior citizens? Maybe we could let the hard working people of Alberta keep more of their paycheck?
      We've been screwed so long that we think that is our lot in life. Time to take back some of our birthright and start to enjoy the fruits of our labour?

Comment

Is the Alberta Alliance Party going to gain any momentum this election ? Some fairly high profile folks are running I understand.

Comment

I doubt it. The taxpayer federation guy was by about a month ago and tried to tell me the polls they ran suggested the Alliance party was up to 30%! I asked him well who did you poll?...maybe his buddies?
          I suspect old Ralph will get in with at least as many seats as he has now? Let's face it...who is going to vote against a party that is in charge of the fastest growing economy in North America? Are Ralph and his party good leaders and able managers of Alberta? Well apparently the people of Alberta think so as they keep electing them by massive majorities.
          We live in a democracy and that is just how it is! I am a seperatist...raised that way at my Mommas knee...but obviously most Albertans don't feel that way. And that is their right, just as it is my right to believe what I believe.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...