• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sask. chief medical health officer addresses vaccination rates, climbing hospitalizat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sask. chief medical health officer addresses vaccination rates, climbing hospitalizat

Sask. chief medical health officer addresses vaccination rates, climbing hospitalizations

While other provinces bring back COVID-19 restrictions, Sask. will not at this time.
    Laura Sciarpelletti · CBC News · Posted: Aug 26, 2021 4:00 AM CT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Dr. Saqib Shahab, chief medical health officer, told CBC on Wednesday that vaccine mandates put forward by institutions like universities do work. However, he questioned the necessity of provincial mandates, including masks, citing the need for voluntary compliance. (THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Saskatchewan's chief medical health officer says the number of COVID-19 patients in hospitals right now is concerning, but he does not think restrictions are needed at this time.

As of Wednesday, there are 108 people in hospital due to the virus, with 20 in intensive care. Dr. Saqib Shahab says the majority of those cases are unvaccinated. But, while some provinces like British Columbia are seeing a return of restrictions, Saskatchewan is not.

Meanwhile, Saskatchewan Health Minister Paul Merriman said there are signs the province is entering its fourth wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, but that the provincial government is not prepared to mandate vaccinations.

Doing so would infringe on "people's personal rights," Merriman said in a news conference at the legislative assembly on Wednesday, following pressure from the Opposition to mandate vaccines among some groups, including health-care workers.

A provincial mask mandate or a vaccine passport system have also been ruled out, according to Merriman.

On Tuesday, Manitoba announced it will require vaccinations for provincial health-care workers, teachers, and those who work with vulnerable populations.

It also reintroduced indoor masking.

Manitoba is also expanding the list of services and activities that can only be accessed if someone is fully immunized against COVID-19.

Over in Quebec, the provincial government is putting into place a vaccine passport system starting Sept. 1 that will effectively bar people who aren't fully vaccinated from many non-essential activities.

But in Sask., that has been ruled out.
    Saskatchewan will not be creating vaccine passports, unlike some other provinces. Quebec's system of vaccine passports will use an app for non-essential businesses that will allow them to read patrons' QR codes to determine whether they are fully vaccinated. (MSSS)

Shahab told CBC on Wednesday that institutions like universities who have implemented vaccine mandates are "leaders" in the fight against the pandemic.

"I absolutely agree that whenever there's a requirement, for example, in university students, the [vaccine] uptake does go up."

However, he questioned the necessity of provincial mandates, including masks, citing the need for voluntary compliance.

"Does there need to be more local measures in place? Do we require a stronger provincial mandate? I think this is something that needs to be discussed in an ongoing fashion," Shahab said.

While Shahab says the province will not reinstate a mask mandate at this time, he strongly recommends Sask. residents wear masks in crowded indoor spaces, whether they are vaccinated or not.

Shahab continues to implore people to take personal initiative and get vaccinated.

"We still have lots of vaccine. You know, before we get into the fall, I think it's critical that vaccine uptake goes up. And a lot of [my] colleagues are working with communities to do exactly just that."

Health care system strain

If hospitalizations continue to climb, Shahab said urgent and elective in-hospital medical care will be delayed.

"For the most part, every hospitalization right now due to COVID ... in the vast majority of cases are preventable," said Shahab.

"Healthcare providers are very frustrated and sad because whenever they look after a person who's unvaccinated in hospital everyone feels that this is preventable, as do many patients and families of loved ones who end up in hospital."

Shahab said the province should only be seeing 20 or 25 daily COVID-19 hospitalizations right now. However, higher vaccination rates are needed first.

"We can easily vaccinate another 15 per cent within a week or two, first dose and then second dose within four weeks. That can decrease hospitalizations by 50 per cent or more."

Shahab said more consistent mask use in indoor settings can decrease hospitalizations. But again, a provincial mandate is not in the cards at this time.

Sask.'s vaccination progress

Shahab said the province has seen a high uptake in COVID-19 vaccinations, particularly with residents 60 and older.

"And because of that, thankfully, we are not seeing high rates of hospitalization and death in the most vulnerable. And even though we get occasional importation of cases in long term care facilities, thankfully the vaccines are protecting the most vulnerable and we're not seeing large outbreaks and hospitalization," he said.

Dr. Saqib Shahab says vaccination rates among children ages 12 and older, as well as their parents, are lower than other groups. (Belinda Soole/Getty Images)

The chief medical health officer also said the vaccines have proven to be effective in preventing serious illness. While some who are vaccinated can still contract the virus and have mild illness, about 80 per cent of daily COVID-19 cases in the province are unvaccinated, he said.

"If you are fully vaccinated, 60 per cent of the time you will not get any illness. And 20 per cent of the time you will be asymptomatic, but may shed virus for a short period of time ... and 20 percent of people will generally get mild illness," said Shahab.

Sask. not implementing vaccine mandates or indoor masking

"Even if you are older or have risk factors, the breakthrough rates suggest that usually you just get a mild illness unless, of course, you have immune suppression or other comorbidities."

However, if people are unvaccinated, Shahab said the virus is worse than it was in 2020 due to variants.

Vaccination rates among children ages 12 and older, as well as their parents, are lower than other groups. But, Shahab said there is still time to protect yourself and get vaccinated as the school year begins.

Did you read the other post chuck, vaccines wont work. They are falling in efficacy against the original virus and have limited to zero protection against the new ones.

Did the climate scientists get jobs at Pfizer now? LOL

Shahab is wrong. Sk is vaccinated well past herd immunity levels and nothing is changing.

And what does it say of a health system that cant have 25 people in ICU and still function? Not much.

Comment

Shahab finally addresses the increases in covid cases and hospitalizations.

He clearly says vaccines and masks will help reduce infections and hospitalizations.

The facts supporting more vaccinations are there for everyone to see.

But when it comes to following the lead of other provinces in making vaccines mandatory and other measures to reduce the spread, Alberta and Saskatchewan cite individual freedom as more important than fighting covid with common sense.

Yep in the middle of rising cases of the more serious delta variant that will cause more death and disruption the first thing that comes to mind is personal freedom, not preventing disease?

What about trying to reduce the spread of covid and reduce needless deaths? That's not important?

Its pretty much a certainty that the 4th wave will shut down schools and many indoor events again this winter.

We don't know what the scale of the 4th wave will be yet. But Saskatchewan and Alberta will wait untill the horse is out of the barn to shut the door because individual freedom is more important than reducing the impacts of the pandemic and the many needless covid deaths.

There will be more restrictions and mandates in Alberta and Saskatchewan it's just a matter of time because of our relatively low vaccination rates and all the unvaccinated children.

The opportunity to further blunt this pandemic are there, but won't be used until a couple of western premiers stop playing conservative politics and start leading with common sense where everyone's healthcare is more important than a few individuals who think that nobody else matters.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        Did you read the other post chuck, vaccines wont work. They are falling in efficacy against the original virus and have limited to zero protection against the new ones.

Did the climate scientists get jobs at Pfizer now? LOL

Shahab is wrong. Sk is vaccinated well past herd immunity levels and nothing is changing.

And what does it say of a health system that cant have 25 people in ICU and still function? Not much.
        Bullshit Jazz!

Shahab, Moe and Merriman clearly say vaccines are working and want more people to get vaccinated.

You are either purposely lying or really stupid. Or a combination of both! LOL

"The chief medical health officer also said the vaccines have proven to be effective in preventing serious illness. While some who are vaccinated can still contract the virus and have mild illness, about 80 per cent of daily COVID-19 cases in the province are unvaccinated, he said.

"If you are fully vaccinated, 60 per cent of the time you will not get any illness. And 20 per cent of the time you will be asymptomatic, but may shed virus for a short period of time ... and 20 percent of people will generally get mild illness," said Shahab.

"Even if you are older or have risk factors, the breakthrough rates suggest that usually you just get a mild illness unless, of course, you have immune suppression or other comorbidities."
        Last edited by chuckChuck; Aug 26, 2021, 07:42.

Comment

It is fortunate that 75% of people got vaccinated, only 14% of new cases are vaccinated people. If we didn’t get the vaccine the case numbers would be huge like 2000 per day instead of 150.

Comment

Christ, you two are the reason our pyschos in charge want babies and pregnant women jabbed.

Get a grip. seriously. Read the death chart I posted. 90% of the deaths are in the 70+ crowd and 90% of those deaths are in the 80+ crowd. Its nuts to vaccinate down to lower age groups.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
              Christ, you two are the reason our pyschos in charge want babies and pregnant women jabbed.

Get a grip. seriously. Read the death chart I posted. 90% of the deaths are in the 70+ crowd and 90% of those deaths are in the 80+ crowd. Its nuts to vaccinate down to lower age groups.
              Insurance companies hire the smartest math people on the planet cause insurance is all a calculated risk. They are now taking notice of the huge risk of medical insurance on the unvaccinated and jacking up rates .Delta airlines is the first many will follow.Are you saying your calculated risks are more accurate than theirs?

Comment

I have no dog in this hunt as I've blocked chuck. I asked myself if I wanted to run the risk of catching the bug with susceptible lungs. To me, its just a virus, although worse than the cold, and its just a vaccine. Respect not fear. Get over it.
                And I will add, the damage to our country by said fear is immeasurable. By our own government.
                Last edited by blackpowder; Aug 26, 2021, 09:20.

Comment

Whatever happened to the 98% effective vaccine? If the authorities were honest, they would have attached a list of caveats to that statement, particularly regarding the length of time it remains effective. As we are seeing, this seems to be measured in months, not years. Now we are told that booster shots will be needed, but again, how effective will they be? My guess is months at best.

I was informed by the Manitoba government that if 80% of the eligible population got vaccinated, we could return to a normal life. We met that threshold. There were no caveats attached to that goal at the time either. Now they are reimposing restrictions in pursuit of a new goal (85 to 90%?) that is almost certainly unachievable.

I got both my shots in the understanding that I could have a normal life back. As far as I am concerned, we had a deal and the province broke it. The trust is gone and the bridge is burned as I now find out that normal existence without masks, fines, passports and lockdowns is nowhere on the horizon. They will never gain my sanction for this abominable state of affairs.

Comment

On another issue, if you are fully vaccinated, how are the unvaccinated a threat to you? If the vaccines are effective, then the unvaccinated can only be a threat to themselves and other unvaccinated people, right?

If this is an issue of hospital capacity, then that's not a problem I need to solve. That's a problem with socialized medicine being incapable of responding to surges in demand. I have a right to resume a normal life and businesses have a right to resume earning a living.

Comment

Originally posted by Austrian Economics View Post
                      Whatever happened to the 98% effective vaccine? If the authorities were honest, they would have attached a list of caveats to that statement, particularly regarding the length of time it remains effective. As we are seeing, this seems to be measured in months, not years. Now we are told that booster shots will be needed, but again, how effective will they be? My guess is months at best.

I was informed by the Manitoba government that if 80% of the eligible population got vaccinated, we could return to a normal life. We met that threshold. There were no caveats attached to that goal at the time either. Now they are reimposing restrictions in pursuit of a new goal (85 to 90%?) that is almost certainly unachievable.

I got both my shots in the understanding that I could have a normal life back. As far as I am concerned, we had a deal and the province broke it. The trust is gone and the bridge is burned as I now find out that normal existence without masks, fines, passports and lockdowns is nowhere on the horizon. They will never gain my sanction for this abominable state of affairs.
                      Most of the present problem lies with group of anti-vaxxers in the Southern health region. They are moving up the case counts and adding to the hospitals. Masking will help head off a resurgence of the delta variant. Live in the real world where we have to adjust to changing conditions.

Comment

We currently have what I call the "one-trick pony" problem. We are told that if we are pre-emptive and institute restrictions now, we can lift them once case numbers fall. But case numbers have never fallen and stayed down. They consistently move up and down like a yo-yo, which is a good indication that the virus is endemic in the population and will never go away.

This strategy invariably leads to the Australian model where lockdowns are instituted with ever increasing frequency and severity as the virus ingrains itself in the populace. This strategy morphs into an unwinnable "zero covid" game until the economy collapses.

The end game for the "one-trick pony" policy is simple: permanent lockdowns. The advocates of this policy should never try to sell it as anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                          Most of the present problem lies with group of anti-vaxxers in the Southern health region. They are moving up the case counts and adding to the hospitals. Masking will help head off a resurgence of the delta variant. Live in the real world where we have to adjust to changing conditions.
                          As I have said before, the collapse of socialized medicine is not a problem that I need to solve. It is, in fact, unsolvable. If I had a dime for every time I heard "masking will head off a resurgence" I'd be a billionaire.

Comment

Not making has really worked well for some U.S. school districts. They have had to shut down shortly after opening where the mask mandated have stayed open. Of course their for profit medical is working much better.

Comment

Our mother died in the Covid ward, though she didn't have Covid. The empty i sh ward was full at Christmas time, the nurse said. When I asked the nurse how many nurses and cleaners ended up with Covid, she saiid NONE. I was surprised and she said, “ these masks work and constant washing of hands. “ So I tend to believe her.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...