• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Market talk - will durum hit 25 bucks?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market talk - will durum hit 25 bucks?

18 dollar durum Wednesday and 20 dollar durum on Friday.

Anyone want to hazard a guess where it stops?

Flax should be moving up quickly as it always has a premium over canola.

These are prices we should have been seeing years ago to keep up with inflation.

While I am sure they will drop back..Its a long winter for importers when you look at all the production problems around the world.

I think this may put the " just in time " marketing to bed finally and you might see graincos and end users put more effort into storage...

If you are a well off farmer those bins are paying off.

For the young guy starting off its something to tell the grandkids about.

For the life of me I can't figure out why graincos in Canada don't want the grain at their site as opposed to allowing the farmer to be in the driver's seat.

The blending ability and having it available at all times with a small premium ...

The last few days were wet around here , probably very slow at the elevators ...

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
      Hope so !

Will hard red follow ?
      Don't know about wheat , they can pull from alot of sources to get wheat to substitute...

Comment

So what you are saying is you are not happy with $20 durum??? As farmers is it really ever high enough??

Comment

So is this a short squeeze or is this the world price for future delivery?

Are terminals getting harvest type activity on deliveries?

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
            So what you are saying is you are not happy with $20 durum??? As farmers is it really ever high enough??
            Didn't say that at all...Had contracts at both 18 and 20 last week . not big ones just tandem loads.

I was trying to point out the speed in which durum has moved in the last week or the last two weeks for that matter...

Is there a top when you look at the export durum market...Not sure the US can fill their commitments on the export side so that may come into play.

There is also the Richardson purchase of Italgraini that may boost prices.

I am very happy with my contract prices...But the last time durum was over 10 bucks, combines, tractors , sprayers were not worth nearly three quarters of a million dollars and land was still sub 100k a quarter

Comment

Although Errol said manufacturer's prices were going to come down????

Any comments Errol?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                Is there a top when you look at the export durum market...
                Will it be long before entire countries cancel their export programs? What does that do to pricing. Durum crop is under half its usual volumes. Someone is going to go without this yr. There is no substitute for pasta and Couse Couse.

An somewhere along the line the USDA and other entities will bleed a seeding intentions report in along the way to probably show Canada going for big canola acres next yr and US midwest chasing durum which could mute prices.

But in favour we have Trudeaus loonie starting to fall under our crushing debt.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                  Some grain Cos have stopped posting spot prices ???
                  Well, that's on them...if they can't get the grain..

I have got in the habit of not calling them if I am getting texted prices...better for me and not a waste of their time...

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    Will it be long before entire countries cancel their export programs? What does that do to pricing. Durum crop is under half its usual volumes. Someone is going to go without this yr. There is no substitute for pasta and Couse Couse.

An somewhere along the line the USDA and other entities will bleed a seeding intentions report in along the way to probably show Canada going for big canola acres next yr and US midwest chasing durum which could mute prices.

But in favour we have Trudeaus loonie starting to fall under our crushing debt.
                    Good points.

Current Durum and wheat prices in southern Saskatchewan would reduce canola acres next year no matter what...I think guys are not going to chance it unless canola shows exceptional returns.

Comment

If it stays dry my canola acres will not go down, my crop insurance coverage is $250 more for canola. If we’re dry next spring canola is a no brainer for me.

Comment

A lot will depend on crop insurance coverages for next year . Unless there is a soil recharge in moisture for next spring
                        Right or wrong it is what it is .
                        Those of us that went through the late 80’s and again in 2001 , 2002 know this can happen more than one year at a time ...... hopefully not .
                        Unfortunately some in west central sask had this last year , most forget that , especially in the ag industry,
                        The ag industry is carrying the attitude that every farmer made a fortune last year so the sky is the limit on inputs and farmers should not complain .
                        That ignorance is a sad reality

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                          If it stays dry my canola acres will not go down, my crop insurance coverage is $250 more for canola. If we’re dry next spring canola is a no brainer for me.
                          Here is a dumb question..... but if you have a good yield on durum on crop insurance and prices stay in the 15 plus bushel range wouldn't your coverage be as good as canola less the seed costs?

Comment

JFC Bucket
                            enough with this marketing shit ****
                            this is sarcasm by the way , for those of you in the "slow row"

Comment

$17.40 peas , feb

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...