• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Market talk - will durum hit 25 bucks?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shtferbrains
    Act of God?
    from the blizzard?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Here is a dumb question..... but if you have a good yield on durum on crop insurance and prices stay in the 15 plus bushel range wouldn't your coverage be as good as canola less the seed costs?
      Would be better than canola. Sask crop insurance never uses the real price of grain so it will be interesting to see how next year pencils out

Comment

What are Greens and Yellows worth? Are they pretty well all harvested?
        Last edited by sumdumguy; Aug 23, 2021, 13:50.

Comment

$20 today on monday for a 3cwad PH watrous, on fri it was at $17 there posted price 😳

Comment

Saw $18.88 for a 5 CWAD today.

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
              5 is no better than feed wheat
              So why is feed wheat 10? HRS should be at least 15.

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
                "The solution to pollution is dilution"...

Comment

You may see more durum acres come from flax wheat or barley acres.Pulses and canola is fairly set for acres on farmers rotation.Durum is usually cheaper to seed than canola but seed may be 25 or 30 and best to seed 100 pounds or better so seeding costs will be up there.Durum is way more forgivable in yield ina dry year though.

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
                    You may see more durum acres come from flax wheat or barley acres.Pulses and canola is fairly set for acres on farmers rotation.Durum is usually cheaper to seed than canola but seed may be 25 or 30 and best to seed 100 pounds or better so seeding costs will be up there.Durum is way more forgivable in yield ina dry year though.
                    The 2 dry years we've had recently (2018, 2021), our spring wheat has yielded better than our durum.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                      5 is no better than feed wheat
                      So why is feed wheat 10? HRS should be at least 15.
                      It's still durum?? Downgrading factors this year will be HVK and sprouts. It's not like it's full of fuz

Comment

Durum is way more forgivable in yield ina dry year though.
                        Yea, that's what the literature says... But in the perpetually dry zone here, I used to regularly outyield durum by upwards of 30% with wheat.

I just can't afford to chase wheat that lays on the ground because of sawfly around here anymore. It even went after the "sawfly resistant" durum to the tune of about 20% this year. Neighbor has wheat that 75+% of it's laying flat on its ass!

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                          So what you are saying is you are not happy with $20 durum??? As farmers is it really ever high enough??
                          No it isn't ever high enough on a year like this year. With the shitty crop we had down here in the SW , as far as I am concerned the grain companies are going to have to get just a little bit hungrier before I contract any grain. Heard rumors that one of the elevators in the area might have a new name on it in the near future. Not sure why . Could be just coffee shop BS , but with the last few years down here it makes me wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
                            No it isn't ever high enough on a year like this year. With the shitty crop we had down here in the SW , as far as I am concerned the grain companies are going to have to get just a little bit hungrier before I contract any grain. Heard rumors that one of the elevators in the area might have a new name on it in the near future. Not sure why . Could be just coffee shop BS , but with the last few years down here it makes me wonder.
                            SWT's 25 year agreement with Cargill expires and is up for renewal in Jan 2022

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                              Yea, that's what the literature says... But in the perpetually dry zone here, I used to regularly outyield durum by upwards of 30% with wheat.

I just can't afford to chase wheat that lays on the ground because of sawfly around here anymore. It even went after the "sawfly resistant" durum to the tune of about 20% this year. Neighbor has wheat that 75+% of it's laying flat on its ass!
                              in a global scope of things durum may be considered a specialty crop.Orice spikes are much more common than wheat.New durum varieties like Alloy have closed the yield gap difference between wheat and durum.

Comment

in a global scope of things durum may be considered a specialty crop.Orice spikes are much more common than wheat.New durum varieties like Alloy have closed the yield gap difference between wheat and durum.
                                Had to look up Alloy in the seed guide. If I grew it here it'd also be flat on the ground... not solid stem.

Have I told you guys I hate sawfly?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...