• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Green Kernels in Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Kernels in Wheat

Sorry, not marketing. We are stopped harvesting wheat because of excess green soft kernels. Overall field sample varies from 13 to 18 with the odd spike higher. What to do??

I stopped too, not much we can do but wait I think.

Comment

I'd be tempted to do some and put it on air if that's an option.

Comment

Check the forecast: rain starting Sunday evening will total more than we got all growing season. Got propane?

Comment

How many % green can I have and still keep a 1 or 2 red spring wheat grade? Not much wheat around this year locally, so no blending power.

A lot of my green kernals will shrink and turn dark green. They always call them frost on the grade sheets.

Hate to put it in an air bin and haul out #3. With prices so high, they will be extra tough grading.

Comment

Feed wheat is worth more than number 1. Make hay while the sun shines....

Comment

The seed has been going on air and commercial into the dryer. I'm running out of good aeration and almost to the end of the commercial wheat. Still would like to hold a 2 on the commercial stuff. Thanks for the replies, I don't think I'm the only one. Luckily didn't have any green kernels in the 25 bu/ac stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
                Feed wheat is worth more than number 1. Make hay while the sun shines....
                Exactly. Had a text from local pig barn today offering $11 for feed wheat, $8 feed barley. Surely in Alberta you are even higher.

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
                  How many % green can I have and still keep a 1 or 2 red spring wheat grade? Not much wheat around this year locally, so no blending power.

A lot of my green kernals will shrink and turn dark green. They always call them frost on the grade sheets.

Hate to put it in an air bin and haul out #3. With prices so high, they will be extra tough grading.
                  If they stay green they can be picked as grass green 0.8% in a #1, 2.0% in a #2.

If they shrivel up and go dark green, immature, then they’ll more than likely get included in subjective grade and make it at least a #2

Comment

Take it before weather changes
                    Its amazing how what is down graded at harvest but not even looked at within a few months ..... happens every year . Picky when combines roll but by January it magically changes lol

Comment

we take lots of crop with green kernels. If its close to dry its a no brainer but along as one has good aeration it is surprising how many of the green stuff disappears in a few hours or overnight. If it beyond tough and lots of immature then we may leave it or knock it down like in the old days

Comment

Green disappears in the bin fairly quickly
                        Mildew and sprouted take a lot longer
                        Go hard

Comment

Keep in that moisture testers never seem to read correctly when there are green kernels in with dry. Will usually read a point or more higher after equalizing for a while.
                          t least in my experience.

Comment

There is a difference between Gr immature and Grass Green one is subjective the other is objective factor. Know what your assessing and compare to the standards.

Comment

I think the biggest grading factor in almost everything is whether you have a production contract. If you have a contract the greens, midge, ergot, fuz, colour etc is definitely a discount. If you don’t have a contract these things magically disappear.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...