• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Canola pod construction ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Canola pod construction ?

I was checking on our 1030RR Nexera Hybred to see how it was filling.

Found some plants have pods with 3 rows of seeds, with 3 half pods making the pod a triangle instead of 2 rows of seeds as a normal Canola pod construction has.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

Does drought stress cause Canola pods to fill in odd ways?
    All the pods on that plant were triangle construction instead of double row of seed in each pod.
    I have never seen this before.

Is plant breeding of Canola changing this much?

Cheers

Originally posted by jwab
    Time to hand shell that one and multiply it. Better get a patent!!
    Call it the Delta variant.

Comment

Hear that phone ringing? That is Trish Jordan calling to demand an extra TUA payment because you only paid for 2 rows.
      Last edited by Grahamp; Aug 16, 2021, 15:13.

Comment

Originally posted by jensend View Post
        Call it the Delta variant.
        Delta was a canola variety back in the day. Already been used!

Comment

Tom I haven’t run into a 3 row pod like you have but I believe it was Furrow that was talking about canola sprouting in the pod. Last couple of times picking canola pods I have picked pods with full colour changed seeds but with 2 or 3 sprouted seeds. Absolutely surprising due to the dry weather. Just wondering how many are seeing this and theories on the reason. Certainly won’t be a positive for grading or dockage. My canola is all Liberty Link, some Pioneer, the rest Basf, not sure if this makes a difference.

Comment

So if it will sprout in the pod , is it the seed treatment that doesn't allow it to sprout in the ground?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
              So if it will sprout in the pod , is it the seed treatment that doesn't allow it to sprout in the ground?
              On an unrelated note.

I see many canola cotelydons poke through the ground with a blue cap still on top.

So it had to push this extra weight, and push a much bigger hole through the dirt as it attempts to emerge.

Probably harmless in good conditions, but in crusted, hard ground, too deep etc., how much does this extra effort affect survival? There is only a fixed amount of energy the seed can expend before it pokes through and can start photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                Delta was a canola variety back in the day. Already been used!
                Looks like religion gets in the way of irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                  Tom I haven’t run into a 3 row pod like you have but I believe it was Furrow that was talking about canola sprouting in the pod. Last couple of times picking canola pods I have picked pods with full colour changed seeds but with 2 or 3 sprouted seeds. Absolutely surprising due to the dry weather. Just wondering how many are seeing this and theories on the reason. Certainly won’t be a positive for grading or dockage. My canola is all Liberty Link, some Pioneer, the rest Basf, not sure if this makes a difference.
                  We have seen sprouting before… they tend to dry and whither away not causing a grade problem… it is the seeds that heat in the pod before harvest that cause grading problems… another reason we don’t straight cut Canola… damaged kernels from weather I assume…
                  Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                    We have seen sprouting before… they tend to dry and whither away not causing a grade problem… it is the seeds that heat in the pod before harvest that cause grading problems… another reason we don’t straight cut Canola… damaged kernels from weather I assume…
                    Cheers
                    For Blackpowder:

[IMG]https://www.agriville.com/upload_image/uploades/medium/5831629137342.]

Happy our fields have stopped blooming now… maturity longer than anticipated with all the heat!

Still Hope for 70% of normal yield on our farm average. Perhaps Saskfarmer will still do better !

Cheers
                    Last edited by TOM4CWB; Aug 16, 2021, 12:19.

Comment

[QUOTE=TOM4CWB;505543]For Blackpowder:

[IMG]https://www.agriville.com/upload_image/uploades/medium/5831629137342.]

Happy our fields have stopped blooming now… maturity longer than anticipated with all the heat!

Still Hope for 70% of normal yield on our farm average. Perhaps Saskfarmer will still do better !

Cheers

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...