• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This headline should drive farmers nuts...and every farm group should be responding

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This headline should drive farmers nuts...and every farm group should be responding

Saskatchewan drought means consumers will soon pay more for pantry basics

Farmers are still behind in prices from the 70s if you were to index the price of grain.

Price of flour with higher wheat prices shouldn't go up much and neither should bread prices.

Whats missing in the professor's analysis is the price fixing that the Westons enjoyed for a decade that drove prices up..

Wheat prices returned to rock bottom but bread prices still haven't come down even with the token 25 gift card...

Billion dollar scam....no fines or jail time...

And the professor has the nerve to blame a drought... phucktard.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Saskatchewan drought means consumers will soon pay more for pantry basics
      Saskatchewan drought means consumers will soon pay more for pantry basics - The flour you need to bake your bread, the canola oil restaurants use to fry the food you eat and a variety of other products used both domestically and internationally will be going up in price again this year, thanks to the continuing drought in much of Saskatchewan this year. Some farmers have indicated their crops can only be used for feed this year, other crops are being eaten by pests like grasshoppers, and still others simply can’t grow because there’s been so little rain for so long. Sylvain Charlebois, the director of the agri-food analytics lab at Dalhousie University, said what’s going on in Saskatchewan right now is going to matter to everyone. “When you walk into a grocery store there’s always some ingredients in everything you buy… and when the cost of these ingredients go up, food affordability will be affected as a result.” It doesn’t matter whether it’s retail food service like a grocery store or the restaurant food industry. Wherever the costs go up, it will be passed down to the consumer. He cites the price of canola oil as an example of a product used in a multitude of ways that will be affected by the drought this year. “Canola oil requires little processing compared to other products, but a can of oil — a can of oil has doubled year to year,” he explained. “Just by using one example you can see how the entire food system can be affected by what’s happening.” Farmers, are trying to figure out how they’re going to deal with crop losses this year. He says because commodity prices are going up the farmers that actually do have something to sell will do very well, but those who don’t will experience huge monetary losses. “As soon as some farmers are affected,” he said, “entire supply chains are affected and inventories are affected as well.” Product quality will be another major issue. “If at some point you realize that the products you sell can actually only be for animal feed only, that’s going to impact your revenues for sure.” If there’s a silver lining at all for consumers, Charlesbois says it’s not likely we’ll be seeing product shortages or empty shelves any time soon. Most farmers in Ontario and Quebec are so far doing well; grocers and restaurant supply chains can and will source their product from other areas of the country, the U.S., or from around the world. (PA NOW)

File this under: Tell me you’re a moron without telling me you’re a moron.

Comment

They always blame the farmers but it’s the middle man and processor that use our misfortune to increase prices that never go back down but ours sure do.

Comment

Might be a good time to raise our lamb prices?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
            They always blame the farmers but it’s the middle man and processor that use our misfortune to increase prices that never go back down but ours sure do.
            Anytime he talks crops or livestock, he sh its on the West and media doesn't challenge his stupidity like:
            little processing in canola, a can of oil and SK responsible for higher grocery prices. The 5 W's don't apply anymore - just nod your head yes and agree.

Time to sick Harvey Brooks and Tom Steve on his lunatic remarks again; they were masterful the last time he was a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
              Anytime he talks crops or livestock, he sh its on the West and media doesn't challenge his stupidity like:
              little processing in canola, a can of oil and SK responsible for higher grocery prices. The 5 W's don't apply anymore - just nod your head yes and agree.

Time to sick Harvey Brooks and Tom Steve on his lunatic remarks again; they were masterful the last time he was a moron.
              Agree 100% , it’s absolutely sickening how western Canada is continuously getting beat over the head .

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
                grocers and restaurant supply chains can and will source their product from other areas of the country, the U.S., or from around the world.
                News to the east, western farmers can feed this country coast to coast on a fraction of our typical production.

Maybe you havent noticed but we are trying to feed china and india in our spare time.
                Lets see f king ontario and quebec do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  We have a number of steers on full feed of grain again this summer for freezer orders. Started them on feed at 590 LBS.

One of these chaps eats about 2 tonnes of corn, or in this case, barley to finished weight.

Both of those feed grains have gone up by $140/T since last year this time. So we need to recover another $280 dollars per animal to cover the feed grain cost increase.

Need another .35 -.40/lb just for increase in grain cost on an 8-850# carcass.

Comment

Our sons raise roasting chickens. last year they wee $3.75/lb. This year - $4.50.

Today is their butchering date. Cost is now nearly $4.00/bird for minimum processing - kill, chill, bag, label.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                      Our sons raise roasting chickens. last year they wee $3.75/lb. This year - $4.50.

Today is their butchering date. Cost is now nearly $4.00/bird for minimum processing - kill, chill, bag, label.
                      Our last few batches of lambs finished on pasture, usually I have fed them for the last couple weeks before butcher. Economical except grass is taking a beating and I just can’t get over the hump of enough fences and grazing land. Think I need to bite the bullet and just do it finally.

Yeah my boy has been charging 4 buck a lb for his chickens. We get free meat from him, he gets subsidized grain from us. Works ok so far.

My original statement was sort of tongue in cheek. Our prices are good prices net to us on the lamb, but it was looking rough because lambs have been 3 to 3.50 live for quite a few months, and so our marketing direct advantage was very slender. Now lamb prices have crashed almost in half so we feel we are being paid properly again. Our wholesale and retail prices will stay as they are.

Comment

We have a number of steers on full feed of grain again this summer for freezer orders. Started them on feed at 590 LBS.

One of these chaps eats about 2 tonnes of corn, or in this case, barley to finished weight.

Both of those feed grains have gone up by $140/T since last year this time. So we need to recover another $280 dollars per animal to cover the feed grain cost increase.

Need another .35 -.40/lb just for increase in grain cost on an 8-850# carcass.
                        The processor will take that amount and blame it on you

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                          The processor will take that amount and blame it on you
                          These are direct sales. Only a handful of steers. I'm the first man and the middle man and the retailer.

I've learned one thing anyway - it's far better to make some decent money on a humble lot of feeders than to loose thousands on sales rings full of beautiful feeders. Bin there dun that.

Comment

These are direct sales. Only a handful of steers. I'm the first man and the middle man and the retailer.

I've learned one thing anyway - it's far better to make some decent money on a humble lot of feeders than to loose thousands on sales rings full of beautiful feeders. Bin there dun that.
                            We sell every single lamb off our farm this way. It is rewarding and for the first time since my first crop in 1992, I feel like I have value, am valued, and respected by our buyers.

Comment

We sell every single lamb off our farm this way. It is rewarding and for the first time since my first crop in 1992, I feel like I have value, am valued, and respected by our buyers.
                              And it’s good !!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...