• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's it like ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's it like ?

Was feeding in 3 of 4 pastures, the 4th pasture with a bit of grass left the dug out went dry . Relying on wells for the most part now. Baled greenfeed (peas and oats ) last year 350 bales ( 90 acres ). Same field this year 85 bales same fert and chem program. Gonna knock down some barley today some of it is only 10 inches high so it doesn't have far to fall !!!!

Be tough to pick up...we did a short strip of cereals to see if it worth it...the old 535 doesn't pick it up very well..

Another few inches of straw length would definitely help but we wouldn't be having this conversation if that was the case.

Comment

That’s awful to hear. No words, except best wishes to you…

Comment

Would the old Heston or JD stackers be able to suck the short crop up more effectively?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          Would the old Heston or JD stackers be able to suck the short crop up more effectively?
          It does. Seen that in 2002. Heard of guys picking chaff piles with them as wel.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
            It does. Seen that in 2002. Heard of guys picking chaff piles with them as wel.
            There are plenty of Hesston Stackhands sitting in fence lines around here if anyon is looking. Still a few in use locally too.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              There are plenty of Hesston Stackhands sitting in fence lines around here if anyon is looking. Still a few in use locally too.
              Silage going up here on Barley double swath 60’ wide not much there… good many folks have plenty of carry over from past.. Conservative ranchers have at least one year reserve some 2 years feed.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                Silage going up here on Barley double swath 60’ wide not much there… good many folks have plenty of carry over from past.. Conservative ranchers have at least one year reserve some 2 years feed.

Cheers
                Some areas have had lots of rain the past few years to get extra feed and I agree , they should be fine
                Unfortunately not the case in others . Feed has been just enough in this area after the past few dryish years and long winters .
                Unfortunately that is mostly where the pastures and crops are in the worst shape . Feed is virtually gone in many areas in western Sask

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
                  There was a lot of cheap feed around this spring, I got some wish I’d have gotten more. I was always told by the old guys to have a minimum of a half year supply and I live in a big hay producing area.
                  We had a thread on that in March.
                  22, 2021 | 16:413
                  If any hay buyers come looking for sympathy this year because we have a drought, they won't get any sympathy from me. This winter has been a once in probably 10 year event to be able to stock up on hay at way below even the cost of production. I have one neighbor buying everything he can get cheap enough and carrying it over.
                  No excuse not to be doing so for anyone else.
                  And if it stays this dry, the bales will still be in perfect shape, almost no rain on them since they were put up, very little snow. Ideal conditions to store bales an extra year.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...