• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Contract squeeze worries farmers " is the WP headline

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And as for expecting the elevators to take on some of the risk, I absolutely disagree.
    They need to work on predictable margins. A business working off of a very small margin of a very huge and volatile market can't take on unlimited risk. If the margin is 50 cents, and the market moves $10 as it recently has, that would be 20 times their cashflow, that is going out of business scale. As a farmer, if the price doubles, it is only double your cash flow on those bushels only. Can you imagine the calamity of a major elevator company going broke from speculating on the weather?
    As a small producer, I've had cheques of a few hundred thousand at a time, and I sleep well at night waiting until I finish delivering so we can paper blend the grades/moisture etc and pay it all at once.

With feed grain brokers, and feedlots, and hay buyers, hay brokers, and best of all, horse hay people, I'm paranoid to send more than one load at a time for fear of someone going bankrupt. I was selling through Newco grain shortly before their problems, I was caught in the Cranston Grain default( Newco caused Cranston, and as I understand, both were technically speculating), how many feedlots and pulse processors and brokers have gone bankrupt and left the farmer hanging? Most of these have infinite risk, and no way to cover it. Fortunately, our elevator companies don't and can't get into that position.

Comment

Nobody in the system is working to give you
      The most money. They all work to look after themselves
      You ve just done a lot of writing to
      Prove how we re brainwashed into thinking everyone
      Else being protected is good for us all
      The time. Well it’s not. A lot of farmers will be
      Down the road due to this. I wonder who’s worried
      About what they can pay? Oh right no one because
      Banks etc are all secured. Don’t you get it
      Everyone is secured and looked after except
      For one individual in the current system.

I ve had act of god peas and flax in the past, flax wiped
      Out by frost and peas by hail both contracts voided
      Nobody is out any money. The elevator wouldn’t be out anything
      The buyer simply deals with the
      Free market to get grain then. Tell me the problem
      With that? There is no problem except we’ve just moved
      The production risk to the buyer instead of us producers. They
      Might have to pay more or they may even pay less to buy
      The available grain. So what?

Nobody said if you had a contract and had the grain
      That you could simply walk away. No you shouldn’t
      Be able to. So that ends your discussion there.

Nobody seems to want to answer who’s responsible
      For the under valued canola that got sold last fall?
      The buyers deal with the elevator companies directly
      So are they listening to the elevator companies,
      Stats Canada or who when determining how much
      Canola there is? Who puts out the number to the
      World as to how much canola we have? Because I don’t
      Know of a farmer that didn’t know last year that
      There wasnt a big supply out there. And why did
      The prices stay so low because that’s all that was offered
      In the contracts and the contracts were the only way
      To get rid of your canola so we basically secured screwing
      Ourselves out of 8 to 12 bucks a bushel. But this is a different
      Topic than contracts for not having the grain.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
        Nobody in the system is working to give you
        The most money. They all work to look after themselves
        You ve just done a lot of writing to
        Prove how we re brainwashed into thinking everyone
        Else being protected is good for us all
        The time. Well it’s not. A lot of farmers will be
        Down the road due to this. I wonder who’s worried
        About what they can pay? Oh right no one because
        Banks etc are all secured. Don’t you get it
        Everyone is secured and looked after except
        For one individual in the current system.

I ve had act of god peas and flax in the past, flax wiped
        Out by frost and peas by hail both contracts voided
        Nobody is out any money. The elevator wouldn’t be out anything
        The buyer simply deals with the
        Free market to get grain then. Tell me the problem
        With that? There is no problem except we’ve just moved
        The production risk to the buyer instead of us producers. They
        Might have to pay more or they may even pay less to buy
        The available grain. So what?

Nobody said if you had a contract and had the grain
        That you could simply walk away. No you shouldn’t
        Be able to. So that ends your discussion there.

Nobody seems to want to answer who’s responsible
        For the under valued canola that got sold last fall?
        The buyers deal with the elevator companies directly
        So are they listening to the elevator companies,
        Stats Canada or who when determining how much
        Canola there is? Who puts out the number to the
        World as to how much canola we have? Because I don’t
        Know of a farmer that didn’t know last year that
        There wasnt a big supply out there. And why did
        The prices stay so low because that’s all that was offered
        In the contracts and the contracts were the only way
        To get rid of your canola so we basically secured screwing
        Ourselves out of 8 to 12 bucks a bushel. But this is a different
        Topic than contracts for not having the grain.
        How does it work now that companies are also the buyer since they are
        Crushing the canola? When they buy a bushel of canola does
        That immediately determine the price they get for the
        Crushed canola oil? Or are they buying the canola and then
        Speculating on the oil part after? Because in the one scenario there
        Is a definite advantage to them buying canola the cheapest they can
        Obviously. And that’s what needs to be shown to us. Did they buy all
        This cheap canola and then sell the oil at the much higher world price
        Of oil?

Didn’t mean to hit like. Lol

Comment

And to get back to topic I m not saying gov should
          Subsidize people out of this I m saying this should
          Never be the way it is in the first place. Some people
          Gambled because of the losses we ve had in the past
          This isn’t the first year of drought programs have been
          A disaster for most farms with multi year losses. So
          People are desperate. People that have had good crops
          Speak pretty smugly about other peoples situations that
          They know nothing about because they ve had good weather.

Interesting though if our government is saying they will
          Pay for this aren’t they admitting the programs
          We have won’t work.
          Lmao!

We ve had 3 years bad crops here no one has collected
          From agrishitability anything meaningful so people were put
          into situations where they almost had to gamble.
          Last edited by the big wheel; Jul 24, 2021, 04:42.

Comment

I agree big wheel that’s where not having a good farm support program from our government has failed the producers in areas where year after year has been a loss. But there is also lots of farmers that are complaining about these forward contracts that have signed up and will also be the ones flipping iron every year and be the first ones outbidding the neighbor’s on land rent . They signed the deal they knew the risk and now should live with the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
              Blaithin, You are getting hung up on grain companies role as middlemen. Consider if that buyer mr farmer sold to is a a feedmill. They expect delivery of the contracted number of bushels in a specific time period for that $11.00. If farmer does not deliver the contract they have to go to the market and purchase those bushels for the “$20.00 market price. Why should the the mill have an added $9.00 cost per bushel to meet their needs they had covered with the contract. No different for an export company. They expect delivery for the agreed upon contract and it is not the company fault if the producer defaults

The point is it is the farmer who took the risk selling something he did not have and had no guarantee to getting.

Furthermore selling physicals is not the only option farmers have to lock in price or profit
              Thank you. That example is more clear.

Comment

I am interested in knowing how many farmers who feel forward pricing contracts should be cancelled or penalty free would feel the same way if the roles were reversed and the inputs you contracted were not delivered. For example, you contracted fertilizer in the fall for future delivery. By spring the fertilizer price has doubled, and suddenly the supplier says he can not deliver leaving you scrambling to secure your fertillizer needs at double the price. How many farmers would walk away saying oh, no problem, cancel the contract and I expect nothing in compensation for the added costs of having to pay double what I had planned.

I have a feeling that the same farmers who have no qualms about reneging on a delivery contract would be the first in line to sue a company that could not supply contracted inputs.
                Last edited by dmlfarmer; Jul 24, 2021, 07:02.

Comment

You need to take a marketing course Blaithin.

Comment

Grain co's make money on volume farmers on price . The way things look around here neither will be pricing any new 1/2 tons. This hurt will last a lot longer than a year if it's anything like we went through in the eighties.

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
                      I am interested in knowing how many farmers who feel forward pricing contracts should be cancelled or penalty free would feel the same way if the roles were reversed and the inputs you contracted were not delivered. For example, you contracted fertilizer in the fall for future delivery. By spring the fertilizer price has doubled, and suddenly the supplier says he can not deliver leaving you scrambling to secure your fertillizer needs at double the price. How many farmers would walk away saying oh, no problem, cancel the contract and I expect nothing in compensation for the added costs of having to pay double what I had planned.

I have a feeling that the same farmers who have no qualms about reneging on a delivery contract would be the first in line to sue a company that could not supply contracted inputs.
                      Apples and oranges....fertilizer is still being made in a drought , rain snow cold hot etc

...the only pricing mechanism is what they can get away with...

Pick another anology

Comment

Originally posted by LQQKY View Post
                        You need to take a marketing course Blaithin.
                        Probably. But it’s not like I really use it anywhere. It would broaden my conversation ability but really, marketing is dull to me and the conversations are usually tense and pessimistic. I’d much rather learn and talk about cows 😂
                        Last edited by Blaithin; Jul 24, 2021, 07:28.

Comment

I am having a tough time drumming up sympathy for the aggressive forward contractors. Somebody has to explain to me the benefits of doing that?

The price is almost never higher in the fall vs the spring. Bills to pay? You can get a million dollar cash advance from CCGA and FCC and big banks have programs as well. My input line at Nutrien isnt due until Feb 15, so theres no rush in that program. Limited delivery space? I dont see any terminals lined up any more, they can move everyone through at reasonable pace especially if you sell more into the spring time frame. Storage? Well bags still work and I think storage is one of the best investments you can make anyway.

The forward contracting appears to be the reason guys dumped cheap crop last yr before the winter run. So a double whammy.

Comment

Every second year or so we saw a, “Whammie Year” in the eighties. And every time some marketing outfits went under because they couldn’t fulfill their pre-sale commitments. But some guys (hoarders) made money because stowed away in their many small bins was not only next years seed but a few thousand bushels of flax, canary or low-grade wheat.They cleaned out those bins when the prices spiked. Good things come to those who wait - sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              Apples and oranges....fertilizer is still being made in a drought , rain snow cold hot etc

...the only pricing mechanism is what they can get away with...

Pick another anology
                              The commodity isn’t the comparison. It’s the contract.

Apples to apples his analogy is absolutely valid.

Comment

Very interesting thread.

Favourite quote so far “The silent majority of us don’t want to see the rest of us fund some bailout for others unfavourable decisions.” Well said.

One other well made point was that Agristability was designed to benefit accountants not farmers, for the most part this is true.

As far as the contract a farmer signs when you forward contract grain, how many on here have read them? I have to admit I have only fully read one. There was more than one interesting clause but the one that sticks out in my mind and I am paraphrasing from memory, if a producer is unable to fully deliver on the contract the grain company is entitled to the returns from the producers crop insurance. Now that was not how it was written but the fact of the matter is they are legally entitled once you sign the contract to go after your crop insurance if you don’t have the grain or the money.

There is no doubt that favourable barley prices off the combine enticed farmers to forward contract too much barley. Also no doubt that in my area at least barley certainly getting hit hard by the drought. Not really sure what the answer is. As a grain company you will look bad if farmers go bankrupt because you had them fulfill their legal obligations and in reality it is not their fault, the farmer signed on the dotted line. As for the government bailing out those farmers who over committed, not really fair to those that didn’t. One hell of a mess all around.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.