• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

850 km. Crop Tour South Special Area

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 km. Crop Tour South Special Area

Special Crop Snoop Tour 2021

Started west side of Regina - very nice crops all the way to Beechey. 2 areas were outstanding : Crops were especially nice just NW of Moose Jaw. At Grand Coulee Lentils and Durum look great with 60% filled, grass-green overall and no disease. But definitely need rain to finish. There were a couple of earlier fields within a few days of desiccation. There were sections and sections of Lentils ( green ones and ripe ones).

#42 Highway north of Moose Jaw, pretty nice Canola there but short-lived, a lot of 1/2 germinated stunted Canola all through the trip after that but there were a few 1/2 to 2/3 Canola crops. Overall I’d say 20-25 bushel Canola average ( if pods fill), no good barley to speak of with many totally burned to a crisp fields. The kernels were so shrivelled and petrified into the head like a spear.

Surprises on the trip:

How many Lentils were seeded, how many are 4-7 inches tall and may be a real challenge to pick up. Lots of dead ripe Lentils around Assiniboia ready to go. We only saw 2 fields desiccated and ready to rattle.

How few Canaryseed fields, even around Kyle that is a historic growing area. We only saw 1 Canary crop near Rouleau.

How few chickpeas were planted ( only saw about 5 fields) But the ones that are there evidently enjoyed the dry heat. The ripest Chicos were at Lucky Lake.

We never saw a great pea field. All the peas we saw only had 3, maybe odd one 4 little tiny peas in a pod. No pea soup this year, gotta use lentils. 😂

33% of cattle are black, with no shade in that 36 degree blast furnace.

Water sources are dry, guys are hauling water to their pastures.

Only saw one farmer on field and one cowboy fixing fence.

Lucky rain areas were easy to spot but overall they are few and far between. There are many areas that should have been baled up 3 weeks ago. Maybe need a vacuum cleaner or 75 foot haybine to pick up that skinny swath. Those crops aren’t going to recover now, for sure. The radar always seemed to show rain along the American border and around Assiniboia but it looks like they were pretty spotty until Ogema-Pangman. Moral of story : Rain makes grain.

We returned to Regina at nearly 9 p.m. to light rain but by the time we got to White City, it was pouring. At farm yard we have 9/10 in the gauge but only 3/10 5 miles south. Thank You for what we get cause next week we are back in the furnace if forecast is correct.

Next week is South east segment of snoop tour.
    Last edited by sumdumguy; Jul 23, 2021, 07:17.

Can you put a map of your trip up, like saskfarmer did..

Sounds like you were close to where I am at . If you were on 42 and made it to Lucky Lake or Beechy , did you go on ferry at Riverhurst...notice how low the lake is?

Comment

NW of Moose jaw in the Marquis area is some pretty good land typically grows 80 bpa durum without issue.

West of Eyebrow had a bad hail storm go through , thin streak but probably 15 miles long.

Comment

I will have to get help with a map Buddy. But It went like this:

Regina —- Grand Coulee —-Moose Jaw —— Tugaske/ Tuxford —-Brownlee ——- Riverhurst Ferry——Lucky Lake ——Kyle—— Swift Current——Ponteix/Woodrow—-Assiniboia——Ogema/Pangman and #6 straightup to Regina.

Comment

Very good, I get the picture.

In your opinion....what do you think given it is July 23 and looks like mid August for crop development?

What do you think yield will be with one more heat wave?

Comment

I had cold ones ready for your arrival, and not even a wave. 🤣🤣
            Should have stopped in.
            Five miles straight east of Hutt’s just off 13.
            As they say “next yr country”.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
              I will have to get help with a map Buddy. But It went like this:

Regina —- Grand Coulee —-Moose Jaw —— Tugaske/ Tuxford —-Brownlee ——- Riverhurst Ferry——Lucky Lake ——Kyle—— Swift Current——Ponteix/Woodrow—-Assiniboia——Ogema/Pangman and #6 straightup to Regina.
              ran out of destinations slots SDG...

Click image for larger version

Name:	sumdumguy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	771327

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                What do you think yield will be with one more heat wave?
                Cant speak west but in the #6 cooridor we had some showers that will probably just preserve bushel weights and speed turning now. Most of the durum is turning a month early, that said, I still think most of it runs 40bu. No 60 bpa that I see this yr.

Canola has hung on. some guys are attributing it to this new Invigor variety L345. It definitely seems to flower longer than the 233 did. I suspect 40bu will be hit there.

Lentils will make 30 without too much problem but not likely any higher than that.

Comment

Saw the Hutts there Bigzee. You know our Hutts got 1 3/4 inches of rain last night. Man, the good Lord takes a likin to them. See the power of prayer?

Thanx for map Larry. Nice

Comment

Riverhurst to just south of Birsay was seeded a lot later. Looks better. Deifenbaker is up a couple inches from last week. Does anyone have canola with good pods. I haven’t seen any. Pics please.

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
                      Does anyone have canola with good pods. I haven’t seen any. Pics please.
                      Seeded May 6.

Name:	canola 3.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	771328

Comment

Name:	canola4.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	771329.