• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

east central Alberta is maybe a 50 percent crop. went down to Gleichen last weekend on hwy 21 crops are a bit better but suspect is about 80 percent.Have not seen any good crops anywhere. Crops are very short here and I you swathed canola it will be prone to blowing away on you.

Comment

I agree with the canola what you said Tubs, Swaths that are even and nice usually can take any wind. Swaths all over are prone to wind and wind will take. We are switching game plans this year and are only swathing a section that isn't pod shatters the rest will be direct cut.

Farmers don't lie about the yields glen its elevators that think a farmer is always lying we know which side you run with.

Comment

Finally received another 28mm of rain last two days, brings the season total to 56mm since May 1st for me. Canola flowering again now. Cracks in the dirt haven’t closed, water just sucked in and gone.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
          Had to give him a like.
          I think i remeber another time he had an ag post.
          So after 5177 posts, and 15 years, only 2 on topic posts, quite a track record. Did the previous post refer to farmers in the 3rd person, and find fault with them as well? Anyone here old enough to remember the last post?

Chuck, if you travelled 2600 km, that would have been far enough to have made it to my place, could have stopped by, put a name to a face, and reminisced about the good times. Maybe next time?

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
            Finally received another 28mm of rain last two days, brings the season total to 56mm since May 1st for me. Canola flowering again now. Cracks in the dirt haven’t closed, water just sucked in and gone.
            What part of the Peace are you in? I've heard conflicting reports of conditions up there( big area of course). Looks like the far north has had some precipitation?

Overall what is your guess, a catastrophe or below average, or?

Comment

Let’s talk about weed control this year
              Would like to hear from others as there are still farmers on here from every corner of western Canada
              This area hands down is the best weed control I have seen in a decade . Cleanest fields on average I have seen and nearly everyone saying the same thing .
              I would say 95% of the fields in this entire area is excellent weed control this year .
              Very hard to even see any weed issues except for a handful of lentil crops

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                What part of the Peace are you in? I've heard conflicting reports of conditions up there( big area of course). Looks like the far north has had some precipitation?

Overall what is your guess, a catastrophe or below average, or?
                Grande Prairie through Valleyview and the BC side are poor and serious drought, portions on the north side of the Peace River has had more rain and look better. Some looks ok around Falher, but most definitely below average to poor. We had several days over +40. Only saving has been subsoil moisture. We don’t have the smoke concentration that Edmonton area has, though there is still smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  Very hard to even see any weed issues except for a handful of lentil crops
                  That sums up around here as well. No weeds in wheat and canola and most of the lentils fields decently clean but some late mustard and kochia is showing up in a few places.

I think we did an excellent job without our usual spring burn off.

Comment

Still no rain here. Have had 30 to 60% chances every day and night for 2 weeks now, and haven't had enough to even measure. But the forecast throws a wrench into haying plans. Cooler, very smoky, heavy dew. Even fog.

Crops are all over the map. Most very good this far west. But there are some very thin, light short, even white barley and oat crops in the area, especially a few miles south of here. Some are maybe cowboys, but at least a few are very good high input farmers.

I see canola in the area going out of bloom. Looks respectable, but in my experience "here", our best canola crops are when it flowers till late August, my worst have been when it quits flowering at the very end of July. Flowering ending in mid July is uncharted territory for me at least.

Our canola is now all in full bloom, some of the sod seeded took a while to get there. Some bottom leaves were burning off prematurely in the extreme heat, but the rest of the plant looks very deep green again now that it has cooled. Still some patches with thin stands in the sod seeded, frustrates me to look at, but insignificant acre wise. No rhyme or reason why, or consistent conditions to have caused the uneven or poor germination. In fact the areas I thought I had the worst seed placement had the best germination, and vice versa.

After being so pleased about the lack of flea beatle damage earlier on, there was one pocket where they completely destroyed the crop. About an acre where almost nothing survived, and a couple more acres of thin stand remaining. Between them and the slugs, they are even taking down big flowering plants in that spot now. Is there any way to predict where they will show up?

Wheat, I think we lost some potential when it was tillering during the extreme heat. Here, tillering typically continues for weeks, even long after the first heads are emerged more tillers keep starting. Never seen tillering end as fast as it did this year in the heat. I understand that this is how cereals are supposed to behave according to the text books, but never seen it happen in real life. I suspect the fertility and moisture were there for a better crop than we will harvest, but still very good.

Most pasture is holding out well.
                    Hay was well off of last year, and not near as good as it looked earlier. 2nd growth is coming back fast.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                      Chuck chuck

Let me give you the chemical rep response...

Too hot...too dry...too wet..too cold...too windy...so sad

Too bad.

You really can be ignorant without knowing it.
                      But still nice to see a sort of farm related response

Comment

I just find it funny that glen posts about a crop tour that’s the same length as the one I did but all he really says is bad farming practices farmers lie and it’s not that bad. Opposite of what I seen and posted. Chuck phone the help line now you need serious help please seek it.

Comment

Soils tests will be a must this fall if we can get the probes in the ground.
                          Fall out will be immense from this crop as we are told AG is the backbone of sask?
                          Fuel consumption will be a less as a result of short crops.
                          No significant rain in the forecast, so next yr ????

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                            Soils tests will be a must this fall if we can get the probes in the ground.
                            Fall out will be immense from this crop as we are told AG is the backbone of sask?
                            Fuel consumption will be a less as a result of short crops.
                            No significant rain in the forecast, so next yr ????
                            I wonder what the mood of farmers will be after this? Will it be throw caution to the wind and double down for a crop in 2022, or a more cautious approach.

The appetite for an expensive risky crop like canola has to be fading in some areas after this. Its one thing to get 50% of your wheat yield after a drought but canola can give you zero in the wrong conditions.

Comment

Fert guy said prices coming down.
                              Don't pre buy anything he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                                Fert guy said prices coming down.
                                Don't pre buy anything he said.
                                So we buy then?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...