• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

media and the BTOs and a rant

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched CBC interview with a person from the SSGA ...I think I can identify why farmers are not going to anything from any government...

Hint...when you are given a platform to state your case ...there is no sense in cheerleading what been done...

Your industry is in crisis ....no feed...no water...30 percent of the herd at a minimum is going to leave the farm...

Why are ranchers prepared to make the auction houses wealthy for something that could be assessed on the farm...

Or get the government to pay the auction fees ...5 year tax deferral????? How does that work for a 60 year old thats been in the business for 40 years. The last year take a shit kicking on 40 years of work...

You got to have a better ask and make a strong representation of how bad it is....
    Last edited by bucket; Jul 18, 2021, 06:55.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      Just offer a top up in crop insurance.
      That eliminates anyone with even an average crop
      It really not complicated
      This would be the only sensible way to do it.

Comment

Probably will end up being low interest loans or something like that. When was the last acreage type payment? I remember getting a few bucks out of that CAISE program way back about 15 yrs ago but you had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          Just offer a top up in crop insurance.
          That eliminates anyone with even an average crop
          It really not complicated
          I agree also but then there will be guys that don't have crop insurance and quite frankly if you have crop insurance you are already reasonably protected but that still doesn't help livestock producers who are the ones who really need the help.

Comment

A blanket payment would be probably the worst thing in the public eye .
            There are small pockets that will have decent crops and record profits . So this would look bad, especially as food prices are going to ramp up even more .
            If your not in a crop insurance claim why would an add hoc payment do any good but upset the consumer.
            Yes i get it that others have gotten billions in bailouts but we are grain farmers are already on a knifes edge with false public perception.
            Sask Crop insurance is inadequate, we all know that so focus on that .
            Any fed money through Agrinvest, or agristability will come with way too many strings attached or demands that will be detrimental to our business almost guaranteed.

Keep it simple , top up crop insurance to those who need it and carry on .
            Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 18, 2021, 08:11.

Comment

He will be one of very few in the big picture across western Canada

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                I agree also but then there will be guys that don't have crop insurance and quite frankly if you have crop insurance you are already reasonably protected but that still doesn't help livestock producers who are the ones who really need the help.
                If you don’t have crop insurance because you don’t have crop failures and it doesn’t pay, you don’t need a hand out with one crop failure.

Agree on the livestock.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                  The most difficult part on livestock is that we are not talking about a single year crop failure, we are talking about years of genetic selection. Not sure how you replace that. The issue is timing and how it is possible to get feed to the producers fast enough to prevent liquidation. Governments moved quickly for Covid not sure they will to help livestock producers. Baling or silaging drought ravaged crops is necessary but must work for everyone.

Comment

In 1988 Devine intervention came with almost daily updates. He initiated open range laws. People who were destitute from near Radville followed our combines around the lentil fields picking up feed. Their kids were herding cattle on horseback to find enough grass for them. Devine subsidized hay prices and transportation. It didn’t take him long to jump to assist where he could. Cattle farmers probably remember more about those “memorable moments”.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
                      It amazes me how many would forgo a benefit to themselves just so a big rich neighbor won’t get richer.
                      Envy and ego are the detriment of many.
                      Its not that, I just want to know whats being supported and I dont think thats too much to ask. If you had real problems due to a single drought yr and cant see a path forward and are facing productive asset liquidation, by all means some sort of top up is necessary.

But if you are a drone video pumping BTO with FOMO who just set a land sale record in the RM, forward contracted your 2021 production in march and now realize droughts do happen and didnt take scic, I am not on board with that. And its not envy, its reward recklessness and as we have seen when big entities fall, it affect the entire industry. I don think that should be rewarded.

Comment

A top up in crop insurance would be the reasonable way to go, the first thing they should do is top up the crop prices they low balled us on some of the crop prices this year knowing that fall prices were much higher than theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
                          I highly doubt many are that reckless, but why not reward reckless farmers anyways they do it in every other industry.
                          While I agree, I think it’s just too difficult to determine where it’s justified and where it’s not. I know you don’t want full farm audits, correct??

Example,
                          2 farmers in the same area under the same conditions
                          One has covered all his bases and comes out decent financially at year end
                          The other was reckless and is a financial mess
                          How are you going to determine who deserves financial assistance???

Some it’s envy, some it’s ego, some it’s pride and some just don’t care.
                          Simply just top up crop insurance, those that need it will get more help then . That takes out the petty BTO , small farmer argument..... and it’s the responsible thing to do that grain farm hate groups can’t dwell on.
                          Doing that will insure the livestock producers can get they attention they will need which in general will be more financial aid of some sort .
                          Unfortunately the Feds and their supporters would like see the livestock industry crushed so I doubt much will happen there either.
                          Next year will be the kicker for all of us more so than this year in most cases where drought is taken hold .
                          The handful of producers with good crops will have hit the opportunity of a lifetime and good for them 👍👍
                          Most of us watched that lottery ticket burn up before our eyes and feed will be near non existent for livestock for the next 10 months now

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                            In 1988 Devine intervention came with almost daily updates. He initiated open range laws. People who were destitute from near Radville followed our combines around the lentil fields picking up feed. Their kids were herding cattle on horseback to find enough grass for them. Devine subsidized hay prices and transportation. It didn’t take him long to jump to assist where he could. Cattle farmers probably remember more about those “memorable moments”.
                            The Devine years were probably the only time government actually helped out the farmers who had been hit hard with drought and 23% interest rates earlier in the decade. I also remember the hostility and enviousness from city dwellers. About that time I was at a spring shop in Regina to see about some truck repairs. The shop owner could do nothing but run down farmers and the "handouts" we were getting. I went somewhere else to get my repairs.

Comment

Alberta getting help, supposedly, no details.
                              I don’t know how to hot link.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgary/2021/7/15/1_5510915.html

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                                Alberta getting help, supposedly, no details.
                                I don’t know how to hot link.
                                Wow, I guess trudeau cares after all.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...