• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

media and the BTOs and a rant

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
    Thanks Bucket you are proving my point I can give many examples why I don't think its actually climate change but why do we as farmers do this? Every other industry is using the "climate change" tool as a way to help their industry, but not farmers. Why not?

Lack of leadership and better programs.

As an example....the 420 million to Algoma was to convert to electric arc under a lower carbon emissions..

Yet if you look at EVraz they have been using electric arc for 60 years and most of the industry is...probably greater than 40 percent threshold for the carbon programs.

Farmers are exempt from carbon programs because no til is a 75 percent accepted practice ...greater than 40 percent threshold they have used .

Farm groups missed the Algoma announcement but are patting the government on the back for a tax deferral for the cattle guys....without even looking at the implication of losing well managed herds.

This is end of the line for some cattle herds... no money can bring them back.

Comment

Suck it up BTO . Pay exorbitant land prices and rent just to be bigger . Well figure it out. CI and ag stability. Buy the biggest and newest equipment , there is a price to pay. Cattle operators do need assistance. Provinces should have gone for improved agstability. Nature is a cruel master.

Comment

Cattle producers might get a tax deferral or a buyout option but keeping cattle producers doesn’t fit into the climate change adjenda. Its a sad bullshit pill to take but it’s probably a reality. The science has spoken, haven’t you heard. Not good times ahead for the cattle producers.

Comment

Pretty frustrating that they could develop programs within a week of the pandemic.

Yet with all the issues we have had farming they have developed a program that is easily accessible when disasters happen instead of worrying about how much is in a fund for such things.

Agri-invest for the most part could be cleaned out in a week and it still wouldn't be enough for 90 percent of western Canadian farmers.

Comment

Talking about Agriinvest, I wonder how much of the money still in accounts are retired guys and landlords? I have 2 landlords that want a crop share because they can’t quit farming or they will loose the agri invest gravy. They won’t cash it out either because they are on full pension and would cost them to do so.

Comment

Agri-invest at 1 percent of ENS matched by the government.

So in 50 years you might have enough to cover a year's expenses?????

I wonder if the general population understands this isn't a windfall as disaster hits and inputs continue to climb...

I wonder how many working people put 50 years into their job to only get a year of comfort with the savings account. That isn't indexed but capped at $10000.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                Bucket you got a good indication of the thinking out there !
                Sadly its because farming is my job and I look at wide angle views.

example .... Algoma steel gets 420 million from government doesnt mean the price of steel is coming down for vehicles or machinery ....probably up even though taxpayers are footing the bill.

Taxpayers , the average Canadian just don't get it... They couldn't get their airline tickets refunded unless they paid for them...The least they could have done is called Tony Merchant for a class action suit for refunds.

They refunded their own tickets using their tax dollars at probably twice the original cost.

Comment

In a twisted way, every year the cow calf producers sign a production contract with themselves and a unknown hay seller. If it rains, they pay themselves, but in a drought they must write the big cheque for feed if he or she wants to remain in business.
                  A different type of buyout but still money leaving your account.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                    Some are btos out here because no one else wants to do it !

Looks like ag****77 would rather drown than ask for a life jacket for him and his neighbor !
                    You don't jump into water unless you can swim. Nobody is forcing them to buy more or rent more. If you want to go big you should have the safety net of insurance.

Comment

What concerns me more is the public and govts ever increasing eye on our value as payers.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                        You don't jump into water unless you can swim. Nobody is forcing them to buy more or rent more. If you want to go big you should have the safety net of insurance.
                        The size of the farm isn't the concern here....that's being petty.

Why does Algoma steel need 420 million by your logic...

Has been in business longer than Evraz...yet still can't swim on its own ...Algoma has had plenty of life jackets...

Look as much as I despise the fact there are going to be massive write downs for some BTOs ...there are bigger issues at play here...like my neighbours that have been careful and are still going to hurt because of this...

The average person with a job for the most part didn't have to worry about the fact they maybe should have lost their job instead of getting a government handout. But most have come to terms with the massive handout for the good of the country , agriculture should be treated no differently.

And yes it does need a 10 billion injection.
                        Last edited by bucket; Jul 17, 2021, 13:15.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                          Cattle producers might get a tax deferral or a buyout option but keeping cattle producers doesn’t fit into the climate change adjenda. Its a sad bullshit pill to take but it’s probably a reality. The science has spoken, haven’t you heard. Not good times ahead for the cattle producers.
                          Quite a conundrum really, Justin Trudeau and the rest of his merry woke band of parasites really can view this as an opportunity. Farmers as a rule don’t vote Liberal(judging by my own outlook and those of my neighbours) so what does Justin Trudeau gain by helping us? He wants us to eat less meat, double bonus the drought will reduce beef numbers. The only negative for Trudeau, food price inflation and all the minorities employed in the beef processing plants out of work. Same reason he is attempting to downsize western Canada’s oil industry!!

Comment

I have learned over many years of farming that I need some insurance. Never have been one to buy everything to the max. I participate in some programs and have regrets that I didn’t get in others and I have been burn’t quite a few times by being underinsured but carry enough base protection. For those who take the risk and take bare bones or none at all then ask for assistance after the fact of loss really wipes out the idea to buy insurance at all if somebody else will back you up. Have seen cattle guys or dirt farmers or institutional groups using extra money to expand and I can’t compete against top dollar I try not to be jealous but where does the money come from. I say if their in financial trouble go sell a quarter or two, go sell a machine or two and try again next year. I know the gov’t hands out money like they have won a lottery like they create it out of thin air Hard to understand. I could never sleep if I was them.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                              The size of the farm isn't the concern here....that's being petty.

Why does Algoma steel need 420 million by your logic...

Has been in business longer than Evraz...yet still can't swim on its own ...Algoma has had plenty of life jackets...

Look as much as I despise the fact there are going to be massive write downs for some BTOs ...there are bigger issues at play here...like my neighbours that have been careful and are still going to hurt because of this...

The average person with a job for the most part didn't have to worry about the fact they maybe should have lost their job instead of getting a government handout. But most have come to terms with the massive handout for the good of the country , agriculture should be treated no differently.

And yes it does need a 10 billion injection.
                              Algoma steel, based in eastern Canada. Air Canada based in eastern Canada. Hmmm is there a pattern?! Oh yeah Liberal’s get votes in eastern Canada!!

Comment

Originally posted by J88 View Post
                                I have learned over many years of farming that I need some insurance. Never have been one to buy everything to the max. I participate in some programs and have regrets that I didn’t get in others and I have been burn’t quite a few times by being underinsured but carry enough base protection. For those who take the risk and take bare bones or none at all then ask for assistance after the fact of loss really wipes out the idea to buy insurance at all if somebody else will back you up. Have seen cattle guys or dirt farmers or institutional groups using extra money to expand and I can’t compete against top dollar I try not to be jealous but where does the money come from. I say if their in financial trouble go sell a quarter or two, go sell a machine or two and try again next year. I know the gov’t hands out money like they have won a lottery like they create it out of thin air Hard to understand. I could never sleep if I was them.
                                Its an easy fix...if you have no insurance then the government takes their cut that they should have been paying off the payment...

But this drought is far beyond that...my guess is some of the private insurers re-insurers are going to be looking for a package to avoid a major loss here. And they will be lined up at the trough just like Air Canada.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.