• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta Land/Farm Link

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alberta Land/Farm Link

Hello, I was curious to know if anybody is aware of a Land Link/Farm Link program in Alberta similar to such programs in several states of the U.S. This is a registry service administered by ag. extension which allows both older farmers (with assets but needing labour) and younger farmers (few assets but interested in providing labour) to register and perhaps be matched. I am interested because I believe that this program sort of facilitates ownership transfer between the older generation to members of the unrelated younger generation providing the help. Would this provide another option for farm estate planning? Could something like this be set up through Agri-ville or AAFRD?

Bonnie: <br> I am not aware of anything like this. Are you finding it difficult to find labour in your area? Is that where you see this service playing a role in helping find qualified people to work on your farm? OR finding a farm you can help out on and eventually hope to take ownership of? <br> Also, Bonnie I am uncertain about the transition? You have not indicated an area which is fine . . . Do you not see demand for the land in your area? It seems most everyone I speak to who is trying to purchase land is bidding against at least one or two others. <br> Is it finding competent labour or finding a potential purchaser? How does this service differ from other services out there and available? ie. Employment Canada or Real Estate Companies <br> I think the idea has a lot of merit just need some clarification. <br> JBL

Comment

I've read a bit about these Land Link and Farm Link programs in the States, but I haven't seen anything like it here. I have been involved with a couple of private arrangements, but both of them eventually fell through. I think that while these arrangements look good, there are often problems. Farm land is usually a major portion of the older generation's retirement fund, and any part of it that isn't used for that purpose is earmarked for the children. Retiring farmers with no children may be interested, but the situation has to be right. <P> I believe that farming is really two businesses - farming and owning land, and it's not necessary to do both. Farming may be the only business where people invest in real estate immediately upon starting operations.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.