• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 day permit

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 day permit

US cattle producers can apply to bring cattle to Canada on a 30 day permit. They apply to the CFIA, are inspected by a USDA vet and as long as they recieve US permission to return they can come on up.

This would be mainly used by purebred breeders from the US to come up to fall shows such as the Royal or Agribition.

This is not an impossibility as there is $10,000 CASH plus prizes awarded to both the champion male and female in the Supreme show at Agribition. Does the CFIA actually believe the US will return the favour to Canadian producers wanting to show in the US?

I don't think it is a matter of the CFIA believing the USDA would return the favour. Canada is setting an example of treating the U.S. like we would like to be treated by the U.S.

For example we allow their live animals into Canada for slaughter if destined for a packing plant. If the U.S. doesn't reciprocate it only shows the world what bums they are, not any weakness with Canada or the CFIA. And many countries have clearly indicated they do not intend to resume normal trade in beef with the U.S. until the U.S. resumes normal trade with Canada.

Definately, we want to keep on taking the high road, which is what we see in your example.

Comment

Do any of you ever see a time when shows are no longer? I know what significance they hold and I used to show myself many years ago. It is something that we have given up, as well as taking our animals for displays. To us there is just too much risk for disease transmission, which in this day and age cannot be taken lightly.

What are your feelings?

Comment

I don't know. From some breeds, like Highlands, Longhorns, Dexter and Miniture Herefords, showing is their lifeblood?

And for some of the less popular breeds, like Murray Greys, Pinzgauers, Speckle Park (and to an increasing proportion, Herefords), the shows are needed to keep the breed in the spotlight and to even keep people interested?

But then it seems there are some breeds that don't even need to be shown if they are the 'hot' breed at the time? Take Black Angus. You either have quality stock or you don't? and for some it really doesn't matter because it's BLACK! :P

Comment

farmers_son, do you ever get tired of taking the high road? I doubt we will see any US cattle up here this fall because I doubt that the US would let those cattle back down. It sure has some Canadian PB folks stirred up though.

cakadu, I do see an end to some cattle shows except ones like Agribition who have a commercial component. It used to be a lot of fun when rooms were $30 a night a you could get a full meal for $5. The cost of taking a string of cattle to town isn't feasable for a lot of people so the smaller shows are dieing out.

15444, I ain't gonna touch that one. LOL

Comment

Which "high road" is it that our Canadian Armed Forces are taking when they are buying off shore beef to feed our men and women and others at our base, in Afganistan???

Comment

Beyond any doubt, the high road is the way to go and no, I don't see these cattle shows ending anytime soon. Way to many ego-maniacs (like myself) out there that love competition and the possibility of having their picture taken, and once it's happened, you're addicted for life. People love "games" and competition, hence so much coverage on things like Olympics, people are into cheering for their "teams." The ones that stop showing are simply the men and women that choose to cheer from the sides and not participate in any of the "on field" injuries that these games are definatly capable of providing. We take the high road here in Canada because we're better, period, and if we don't, we're just a bunch of chicken protectionists like down south. Having purebred cattle has taught me time and again, you must be forthright and upfront with no "hidden" anythings from your customers, furthermore the customer is ALWAYS right...if Japan requires a test and we want to sell there, we test. I hear a lot of a "dangerous precedent" being set by anyone testing, that's bullsh#t, nothing carved in stone here, lets test for a while, see what our health status really is and go from there. Maybe long term we choose to keep testing and we do actually get more money for our beef because "some other" people are just too stupid and stubborn to give their customer the product that they want. Just my opinion, thanks for reading.

Comment

Don't you mean chicken S*&%t protectionist whiteface.

I like your style. Remember those "No Fear" T shirts that they made a few years back. Do you have any?

Comment

To play devil's advocate for just a moment, what if the shoe were on the other foot? What if the BSE cattle had been found in the U.S. - would we still take the high road then, or would we try to take advantage of the situation?

Sometimes its hard to tell how you would act when you haven't been there before.

I've never had a problem with the testing issue. As long as one is prepared to deal with the consequences of the results, then what is the harm? Before undergoing testing en masse, I personally would want some sort of letter of intent stating purchase, which only makes good business sense.

Comment

Taken from the Food Safety Net:

Japan mad cow panel sets stage to ease US beef ban
                    September 6, 2004
                    Reuters/Globe and Mail/Associated Press
                    TOKYO - A Japanese government advisory panel was cited as saying in a report Monday that the youngest mad cow case found in Japan was that of a 21-month-old Holstein bull, and experts generally agreed the discovery of the disease in a younger animal was difficult under current tests, paving the way for Japan to drop its current policy to test all cattle and setting the stage for a possible easing of a ban on U.S. beef imports.
                    An official with the Food Safety Commission, to which the panel is attached, was quoted as saying, "Some modifications still need to be made, but (panel members) largely agreed with the report."
                    The stories say that Monday's report will allow Japan to drop its policy to test all cattle for the brain-wasting disease -- also known as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) -- which has been the main point of contention between Washington and Tokyo in talks to ease the nine-month ban.
                    The stories go on to say that the Agriculture Ministry and the Labour & Welfare Ministry will use the report to review its current blanket test.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...
                    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.