• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What buried treasures have you found doing field work?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What buried treasures have you found doing field work?

This site is in desperate need of some lighter fare lately.

Getting too serious.

I'm amazed at the artifacts I find considering the short history of this area.

Burnt mentioned a while back about finding an arrow head, I found one digging for seed depth a few years ago. Apparently not that rare, another neighbor purposefully goes looking for them in the area. Being along the former Hudson Bay trail that led to Fort Rocky Mountain House and was likely used long before that might be why.

A partial list of this years treasures:
    2 bison skulls
    Horseshoe
    4 different chains.
    One really good one, only 5 repairs, and one sprung hook (90 degrees sprung) on this one. 2 repairs were haywire, 2 bolts, one repair link. 2 of the chains appear to be black smith made . One more recent specimen is a chunk of tire chain cross chain connected to another short chain and held together with black tape. Already put a couple to good use.
    The usual harness, harrow etc rings that wedge onto the drill openers.
    Split rock that looks to be either a tool, or the remains from making a tool/arrow, or it could just be a rock.
    Cast iron carbuerator
    Dump rake tooth
    Lots of random scrap metal and cast pieces, interesting trying to identify what they might have been.
    Chunk of concrete foundation made with giant field rocks. thought I could easily bust it up to moveable sized pieces. Nope.
    Jagged broken disc blade just waiting for a tire to find it.
    Cables and hooks from logging decades ago, while brushing.
    Lots of deer and moose antlers. None found in tires.
    2 unidentified big metal chunks fresh from heavy equipment. If they were important, I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

What I didn't find, is any of the missing tools, chains, equipment parts that I've lost.

I found a guy in one. He wasn’t buried though...

Yet 🤔
    Last edited by Blaithin; Jun 15, 2021, 15:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
      I found a guy in one. He wasn’t buried though...

Yet 🤔
      Does that explain why Farmaholic has been absent from Agriville lately?

Comment

Plastic baler twine, seems to last forever and hasn’t been used on my place for over 10 years.

Lots of broken cultivator shanks in areas I have reclaimed from brush, apparently from the original guy who broke my place in the 80s (and then went broke himself).

Antlers

Father found a large spearhead on his place

Neighbour found a mammoth tusk, which would be an awesome find

As a surveyor I like finding evidence of old hand slash lines and pits/mounds and bearing trees from the early 1910’s.

Comment

Grease guns, hammers, pipewrenchs horse harness rings screw drivers rake teeth ( in tractor tire of course) plus other bits of cast that don't resemble anything. Find some really nice tools on the hiway between the two farm yards ( 2 miles of pavement ). Sometimes their just my own

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            Does that explain why Farmaholic has been absent from Agriville lately?
            Not unless he’s absolutely incredible at keeping secrets and is actually from Alberta.

Anything is possible!

Comment

Not unless he’s absolutely incredible at keeping secrets and is actually from Alberta.

Anything is possible!
              Well if you have any doubts, this is the time of year to prove his identity.
              On hot days does he wear a yellow fishnet banana hammock? (whatever that is...)?

Is it blackpowder? He seems to be in unusually good humour lately for some reason, and less fixated on his favorite topic.

I'm just trying to redeem my matchmaking reputation here. Since my track record isn't great so far.

The "yet" part of your first post has me concerned, was that the fate of your previous victims?

Comment

What makes you think I victimized them! A hole in the field is just always an option that’s good to have.

Does Farmaholic have any banana hammocks left after mailing them to me? I’ll have to get the guy to model the chicken one and check the fit.

Comment

What makes you think I victimized them! A hole in the field is just always an option that’s good to have.

Does Farmaholic have any banana hammocks left after mailing them to me? I’ll have to get the guy to model the chicken one and check the fit.
                  No pictures please.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    Well if you have any doubts, this is the time of year to prove his identity.
                    On hot days does he wear a yellow fishnet banana hammock? (whatever that is...)?

Is it blackpowder? He seems to be in unusually good humour lately for some reason, and less fixated on his favorite topic.

I'm just trying to redeem my matchmaking reputation here. Since my track record isn't great so far.

The "yet" part of your first post has me concerned, was that the fate of your previous victims?
                    I'd say it went up in smoke.

Not many great finds in my years on this dirt, other than that aforementioned arrow head.

Lots of scrap iron - dump rake teeth, cultivator shanks, bits of harness, the odd tool.

far less stuff than I lost on the same ground for some reason.

Comment

2 stone hammers , an old well ,just appeared one day , last farm there in the 20s .giant balloon array, from games opening ceremony or something,
                      Guessing from Edmonton 250 miles away.
                      Freakiest one was a light coming from the ground.
                      Evening spraying, it was solar light that fell off of
                      Something , must have been a good one.

Comment

Best find, 3/4” long handle Snap-On wrench, worst finds lots of antlers, unfortunately tires found it first.

Comment

Gee, I have a reputation??
                          Help me out. What's my favorite topic?
                          Women?? Anyways, Blaithin hasnt found me yet.
                          Haven't posted while drinking in a while either.

Harness rings etc will be found forever it seems. Small parts. Bigger ones from old yard sites getting less and less.
                          Found most of a Clovis point once and later found more of it nearby. Strange as was in a road allowance. Just before a major road rework too. My Dad was there at the time. It also reminds me the expanse of time. Clovis points common enough and yet so old with a history of manufacture and trade. Obsidian source in Yellowstone likely. Possibly up to 13000 years old i believe. I imagine the missing tip lodged in a mammoth somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post

Gee, I have a reputation??
                            Help me out. What's my favorite topic?
                            Women?? Anyways, Blaithin hasnt found me yet.
                            Haven't posted while drinking in a while either.
                            Well, we were discussing beaver on a recent friday crop report thread, and you didn't contribute... So I made some assumptions.

Comment

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...