• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are in good shape.
    Dodged a bullet this week, forecast rainfall warnings of 3 to 4 inches for last Monday, ended up with 1.25". Wasn't really necessary, but after days of 30 above weather, it certainly helped in a few areas.

After an early start to seeding, somehow it still stretched till the end of May. Breakdowns, multiple rain delays, more breakdowns ( always on a Sunday or long weekend).

Seeded everything corner to corner, rarely got stuck, unless we tried really hard.

Spent the winter and spring making improvements and making more farmland, so it made for a busy spring, finishing landscaping, pushing bush, picking roots, moving/removing fences, tearing up pastures, direct seeding pastures and hayfields, cleaning up farmyards and corrals, hauling dirt, hauling manure, finishing drainage projects. Every quarter had significant work needing done before it could be seeded, which held up production. I usually try to limit my improvement projects to a few per year to avoid this problem.

Still picking roots and putting fences back up.

Cereals emerged in record time, look good. Getting behind on weed control with rain or showers almost daily.

Canola on stubble emerged excellent, and very fast. No sign of flea beetles or even bite marks. Everything had Lumiderm or equivalent. Getting out of the ground fast before the effectiveness wears off is huge. So is not getting frozen, or drowned. Compared to the flea beetle disasters of a few years ago, this is a big relief.

Canola into sod is variable. Germination seems to be good eventually, but uneven and some quite late. Shallower seeds just got stranded with the hot days, even though I seeded into mud in the rain on quite a bit of it. It seems there is no such thing as too deep with sod seeded canola. Except maybe last year when it rained every day and seeds laying on top of the ground all germinated fine.

Managed to get all chem, parts, and last minute fertilizer without any big delays. Most was prepurchased sitting in the yard which helped. Local suppliers and dealers went above and beyond. Found parts on weekends, evenings, etc when I really needed it. Big appreciation to Georges in penhold for answering the phone and finding parts at all hours.

Had plenty of help lined up, and back up plans for the back up plans in case they couldn't make it. All fell through, they had to go back to work, family troubles, health troubles, etc etc. But very appreciative of whatever help I could get. School being cancelled for 2 weeks freed up kids at least.

After being worried about pasture and hay earlier on, all look very good now, early dry springs are usually not good for hay around here.

Still well below average precip and soil moisture, but that is more than welcome, at least until it isn't.

We did get some heavy frosts, but didn't seem to hurt anything, no canola up at that time. Neighbors barley had yellow leaves after that, not sure if related. The BTO who seeded barley in mid April looks like a genius now, it has turned out fine.

Edited for spelling Genius wrong, what a genius move.
    Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jun 10, 2021, 10:11.

Comment

And one more thing.

A big thank you to SF3 for keeping the lone agricultural thread alive on Agriville. Without this we might as well just rename the forum Covid, and whatever SJW topic de jour Chuck is ranting about that day.

Comment

****en rights
        Good job Sf3

Comment

Canola loving the rain..

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
            Pioneer new 505 direct cut plus disease.

Spraying has started because of you don’t spray you have piss all for yield and it’s a mess.

I watch the organic guy beside us work with tandem disc all twitch grass in then cult with a valmar attachment not sure what you can apply then seed then harrow. With rain it will start growing interesting to watch. Profit not sure how much because yield is low.

Land that was burnt black from spring fire

SF was that piece of land that burnt basically weed free? This happened to me once on a small corner of a quarter, no weeds. The heat from the fire definitely wrecked the germination of a lot of weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by AC man View Post
              SF was that piece of land that burnt basically weed free? This happened to me once on a small corner of a quarter, no weeds. The heat from the fire definitely wrecked the germination of a lot of weeds.
              Also cures a lot of disease issues ...
              burn cereal stubble ... no root rot

Comment

I didn’t want it to burn it was started from a garbage fire. But yes it’s clean land but has a group 1 wild oat area I am watching.

Wind is insane today and tomorrow.

Tonight could get interesting

Comment

There’s a burra heading for us - just about an hour south of us.

Comment

We seem to be at the top of the low here
                    Clouds moving in different directions now
                    Rain settling in finally, missed hail so far

Comment

Could be ugly.
                      Hope all have some hail insurance.

Comment

Regina Block working great.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                          Regina Block working great.