• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pricing grain this week????

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pricing grain this week????

With the rain in the forecast , should a guy step out and price some grain for new crop?

The rain won't be enough to finish but the market doesnt think the same way as I do...

Should a guy get some done at these levels?

I think this is a market thread?

Certainly the weather over the weekend in the U.S. certainly has markets heading up this morning. I have certainly been thinking about putting some targets in. I guess the question is, how much higher can they go?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
      Certainly the weather over the weekend in the U.S. certainly has markets heading up this morning. I have certainly been thinking about putting some targets in. I guess the question is, how much higher can they go?
      Thats what I am wondering .. if the rains don't materialize as forecast ...then what...I know right now this is another critical rain as they all will be this year.

The few days of heat didn't move the crop development significantly like I was expecting.

The roots are finding out there is nothing down below.

Comment

Gotta be near over for the northern US plains isnt it? I mean corn and soy need some big rains by now dont they?

In 88 our crop was done in mid June and all that was left to do was call the adjusters. Nobody bothered to reseed and good thing, it never rained again that summer. Cut the crop for feed and done.

Comment

Already done 40 of wheat and 20 of canola here. Off combine. Every area different needs stressing.

Comment

New crop is leading and holding the gains better than nearbys.

Comment

I've made some sales for new crop. Some above the current market, some below. You never know when the market has priced in the weather. All I know is when it turns, it turns hard and you better have a plan. Sold some old crop canola for $24 and it was $19 10 days later.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                With the rain in the forecast , should a guy step out and price some grain for new crop?

The rain won't be enough to finish but the market doesnt think the same way as I do...

Should a guy get some done at these levels?

I think this is a market thread?
                NO!!!!!!

Comment

The crop is far from in the bin . Hodl.

Comment

I remember thinking how much higher prices could go all winter after pulling the pin on $5.50 barley and $16 canola…………

0 reserve moisture here with only spotty showers in the forecast. Expectations here are linked with moisture right now so they are quite low.

Never have done forward sales before it’s in the bin so not going to change now. Good luck to all who have the guts to do that though. Who needs Vegas………. Now back to checking my “undervalued” bovines…………

Comment

There are big areas not winning the rain lottery.
                      I have only had 20mm since seeding in a single event. Nothing forecast.
                      Lots of fields in the area where nothing is even out of the ground yet. At the same time others in area got lucky with really localized storms and fields look good.
                      Peace region

Comment

Be honest about your moisture

Remember if you forward sell and don’t have the production you have to buy back the futures and the basis. Could easily cost you $2-4/bushel to buy out the basis if its a huge area with no production.

If you have decent moisture, I would think about selling some, if you are dry it is very risky in my opinion.

Comment

Welp, did another 25% to get us to half sold on new crop soys.

That's all I am comfortable with and barely so at that.

We are dry, emergence is okay, but not wonderful.

Another factor - baled cornstalks off 1/4 of the field and I certainly should have done the whole thing -very noticeable improvement in population where there's less residue. And when we planted, the soil came up nice behind the planter regardless of residue, so it's like there's an alleopathic effect from the stalks.

She's a long way from making a crop.

Comment

Winning the rain lottery? We are getting another FLOOD. Had over 3 in in May and now got an inch between last Friday and this morning with just showers forecast. Have showers and rain forecast for the rest of week and likely will get 3 in again this week. For all the drought whiners there is that land at Ryley for sale. Come and experience real flooding. Win the rain lottery. This 200 to 300% of average rain fall is getting so old.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                              Winning the rain lottery? We are getting another FLOOD. Had over 3 in in May and now got an inch between last Friday and this morning with just showers forecast. Have showers and rain forecast for the rest of week and likely will get 3 in again this week. For all the drought whiners there is that land at Ryley for sale. Come and experience real flooding. Win the rain lottery. This 200 to 300% of average rain fall is getting so old.
                              Wish I could get some of that from you, I got 3 dugouts you can walk through and not get your feet wet.More worried about growing a crop first let alone having some to sell.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...