• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Entrepreneurial Spirit

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entrepreneurial Spirit

Over the past weeks, we've had some rather spirited and good discussion about teachers and the public school system. It's been interesting to read the various opinions held.

Where I think major improvements could be made in schools is to introduce an entrepreneurial spirit and attitude in the kids of today, so that they are more open to trying new things and less risk averse.

In doing some preliminary research, Canada is way, way, behind in terms of nurturing entrepreneurism at any level and particularly with school children. We try to push square pegs into round holes and raise "workers" not thinkers or risk takers.

I'm not sure at what point it became the norm to have everybody thinking the same. Children learn at different speeds and like some subjects better than others. In order to catch up with the rest of the world, we should be encouraging free thought as much as possible.

That is how government can even help. Develop curriculuum that focuses on being entrepreneurial and "looking beyond the fingers" to quote one of my favorite movies.

Is it any wonder that when money is spent on a new idea and part of it succeeds and part of it doesn't, that we focus on the part that doesn't? Shouldn't we instead be celebrating the success of what worked, learn from what didn't and keep trudging forward?

Money spend on both education and healthcare should be targetted to the areas where there is a defined need. The province has just provided ample funding to hire more teachers but in one business after the other I see huge boxes with signs asking shoppers to donate school supplies for families in need. The education system needs to address this problem and ensure that all students have the necessary supplies without families having to feel that they are taking charity in order to get their kids back to school.

Comment

Basic school supplies should be provided for ALL students in the elementary grades (1 to 6) as was done in years past when I was a youngster. In fact there were some supplies still being supplied in junior high.
      These supplies were doled out as needed by the teacher.

This "begging bowl" approach to education completely turns me off. We live in one of the richest provinces in Canada and we are supposed to 'donate' to provide for the poor. There are a bunch of nitwits in Edmonton directing education that don't have a clue. Maybe that is why it is now called "Alberta Learning" instead of "Alberta Education". Trouble is...they are NOT learning how to effectively educate our kids.

End of rant...your turn.

Comment

I have no problem making a donation of school supplies for a needy student, but I often wonder who provides advice on where donated items are distributed. It seems that as soon as school commences each fall my doorbell starts ringing with students selling everything from magazines, to Xmas wrap, chocolates etc. and 54% of my property taxes go to Education. I have a firm rule, and that is that I support the schools where I have family enrolled, and poitely tell the rest of the kids that come calling that I am already paying $1000 annually toward their education !!!

Comment

I agree with Linda that the schools do a poor job of raising entrepreneurs or free thinkers. How do you teach that when practically all the teachers are little left wing clones?
          Want to succeed in school? Then toe the party line and kiss the teachers butt!
          And yet the spirit of the entrepreneur will never be suppressed, because it is fueled by money and all that it can buy!
          So you see a kid selling his classmates cigarettes and making a profit or maybe he is the kid selling dope out of his locker! This kid is an entrepreneur! He understands the concept of a buyer and a seller and the opportunity of stepping in and filling that need? If he doesn't take advantage of that situation he knows darned well someone else will!
          Of course the powers that be, will throw up roadblocks to thwart him, and this also is a valuable education? How to get around the stupid regulations and supply his product...a very valuable lesson for his later endeavors?
          So cheer up. In a round about way, the schools are teaching entrepreneurs how to deal with our utterly ridiculous society and get around all the foolish rules!

Comment

There are programs that are finding their way into the schools that teach entrepreneurship and that is where I think that more of the focus should go. Personally, I would prefer that the entrepreneurial pursuits stay on the legal side of the equation. :-)

It seems to me that when I was a young lass in school, there was still some room to be able to think freely and show some independence. Instead of encouraging thinking outside of the box, the educational system seems to prefer to label behaviors and then treat it as a behavioral problem i.e. ADHD.

What we need in this province and indeed this country is to encourage risk-taking, not being afraid to fail and the ability to continue moving forward despite not reaching goals.

Junior Achievement, Entre-Corp, Young Entrepreneurs should be given a far greater profile in school. The curriculuum should be changed so that failure is not an option, nor should it be a label.

The leaders of tomorrow need to be willing to take chances and embrace the inevitability of change.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...