• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you support a Levy funded Plant?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you support a Levy funded Plant?

How many of you folks out there in Agivilleland support the idea if Producers owning one or more packing facilities paid for, over time, by some form of Levy? Over time, as well, this levy would then become shares in the company.

I will not, for a moment, say that any of these new proposals on the table from private, or co-op type groups are not legitimate, or needed, but the numbers are small, and the competition needed to bring up prices will still not be there. Excuse me, at this point I am talking about cull cow/ cull bull facilities.

I beleive there is merit in not only expanding kill floor space, but also in making it pay for the producer in the form of competitive pricing. That to me is the worst part about the announced expansion of Tyson et. al. Expand at a pace where supply moves up slowly, so as not to reduce profits quickly. This is the area that we need more Canadian owned influence, to supply competition for UTM's.

Somehow the BIG C group has talked about and researched this concept enough to feel we are ready to answer most questions, and look for a consensus among producers. This is now the approach we are taking with Industry groups and Government alike. Help us produce a plebicite of some form so we can either sh*&^ or get off the pot.

One of the biggest concerns revolves around competition with other new start up plans.
    1). If these plants are afraid of competition, how do they hope to survive in the world of Cargil and Tyson.
    2). Competition is the only hope that the producer has to see price increase. If co-op members and investors are the only ones to see profit from these new ventures, what have we gained?

One of the big concerns regarding any plant expansion is viability when then border opens and competion returns.

Steer away from the mainstream, search out new markets. The idea of sending cow and bull meat to Asia is NOT inconcievable. And the competitive ability of new plants should not be discounted in new UTM plants either.
    There is no need for fear. Sure these Multinationals are cut throat players, but that does not strictly mean they will be out to loose money to destroy new players. How many businesses enjoy the liberty of guaranteed success due to limited competition. I say bring on the competition, maybe we can buy them out someday, like the producers of New Zealand did.
    2). After visiting the CBEF office yesterday, I was pleased to see support for a thought that we at BIG C have had all along. Anyone telling you that we are without Asian market potential is out to lunch. We do not have to ship a lot of product off this continent. The Asian population is huge, and the economies are thriving. They love and want Canadian beef, and we soon will not even come close to supplying their needs.

Creating competition is our only way. First build the plants to compete with the ones that are profitting because of no competition. And simaltaniously build the market, which is NOT going to be a problem. We have the ability to give these protectionist American's, as well as the Value added American's a run for there money, I think it is time to take that chance.

Lots of details to work out in a levy funded producer owned plant, or plants, but the idea of creating a competitive marketplace by not forking out thousands of dollars appeals to me very much.

Ofcourse I do support a levy funded plant-I think the simple act of breaking ground would add to our cattle market-there is a certain amount of inertia in place that must be overcome-time is definately of essence here. Is Big C still interested in holding a meeting in Meadow Lake I'd talked to Cam after the Saskatoon meeting and someone was supposed to get back to me with a date they could come up here-could try and get our MLA and MP on hand.

Comment

Bring it on.

As the new markets evolve, there should be room for all plants, big and small as long as they maintain a competitive advantage over the 'big boys'.

The best way to gain an advantage is to be allowed to test if requested by the customers. (Cargill and Tyson can dance to the tune of 'head office', and keep their American market.)

As new markets evolve, smaller plants can evolve more quickly with them. Maybe in the future, a cow plant can switch to younger animals for instance.

We also need some protective laws from our government regarding packer ownership of cattle, like they have in the States. People down there don't think their laws work, but they are sure better than what we have to live with.

Simply allowing the two big Americans to get bigger is NOT the answer. It just digs us a bigger hole for the future.

We have a superior product, and need to capitalize on it, rather than hand it over to Americans to get the benefit of value added. With our existing traceback system, and the fact that next August we will have an eight year feed ban, which puts us in a lower risk category all by itself, we should be way ahead of our southern neighbours who seem intent on just squabbling amongst themselves.

They are busy arguing about whether they even NEED a traceback system, and will look up some day and realize we left them behind.

We just need to get at it. And SUPPORT these new plants. (I guess that's why the issue of ownership helps the viability of the new plants. If you have a stake in it, you are more likely to sell your cattle there.)

Comment

Depends how it's going to be run. If you can convince me that it isn't going to be mismanaged through favouritism, hiring family members, wishful thinking, etc., like every other co-op I've ever been involved in or seen, I'd go for it.

Of course, it sounds a lot like the Gencor plant, which is looking more and more dubious by the day.

Comment

I'm with dalek on this one. It certainly sounds like BIG-C has been doing their homework and that is a great thing.

I've wondered all along why there are so many smaller groups trying to start up similar plants when pooling their resources and eliminating duplication would help immensely. Given that there has been relatively inconsistent uptake in these plants up to this point, wouldn't it make sense to join forces and have one that works well before trying to start several others?

I don't think that one has to compete with the big players at all, rather you'd be much better off below the radar so that you are able to better respond to changing consumer demands.

The Japanese market in particular is huge and there is no reason why we cannot tap into it, if we are willing to provide them with what they want and they give us some sort of written commitment.

Comment

As a producer, I would support a plant built by government and sold back to the producers, where it would become a co-operative.
            In my opinion this is the only way any plants will get built.

Comment

We don't need a co-op but we do need a new plant.

Comment

We need government to be willing to put up front funding in place, not too many cattle producers that I know have much extra cash in their jeans to put toward plants, even if they do think they are a good idea.

Comment

This may shock some of you here, but yea I do support the idea of a levy funded plant! A cow plant. What the hell do we have to lose?
                  Quite frankly I think that is about the only way one is going to ever be built?
                  And another shocker to some of you...I support all of BIG Cs ideas! Never attended a meeting but I have read Ostercamps article and I would think he pretty well has it right?
                  Personally I am totally disgusted with our useless cattle organizations and various governments! I wonder why we bother with either? I find it incredible that Martin, Klein and all the lesser lap dogs, can continue to be so blind to what is happening here!
                  Our fight is not with the Americans, R-calf, the Japanese...but the spineless cretins we send our tax dollars too! Get off your lazy butts and protect your people! You are paid very well to "govern"...so GOVERN!

Comment

With cowman on our side, how can we lose?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...