• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

I just love X Crop reporters with a little brown truck saying it's too soon on every radio station to panic. Just like other years, we should get rain and could be on our way to a great crop. Some areas in the province are dry.

Or the Sask Ag minister telling us how wonderful life is on the farm were way ahead seeding and never once said it was bone dry. He said prices are up and the pace of seeding is really fast.

Now for the real story.

60% of Western Canada is bone dry. Fire bans are out in a lot of RMS. Dust can be seen behind most air drills and not very many are working the ground ahead of the drill.

It's dry and the High-pressure blocking pattern is in place way too soon and won't budge.

Ok so here is the Crop Report.

Were at 54% done seeding with more done south of the valley but the further south you go the dryer it is.

Spotty rain showers did piss all because in 2021 1/10 is like pissing in the wind hell a 1/2 inch would do jack shit. But anything over a 1 inch buys a farmer some time.

The total moisture for us since April is 2/10 from the snow event.

Peas are all seeded and rolled.

Lots of lentils in our area and lots of people seeded pulses because lots of fields are rolled. No guys arent rolling for fun or moisture savings it's a pulse.

Barley has been in the ground and into moisture at a 1 inch down. Lots of barley has been seeded in Sask.

The second drill has been going on Wheat and we have switched for 2021 from AC Brandon to AAC Alida. Similar characteristics but better protein. The new wheat we purchased for our 2022 crop will be AAC Starbucks I am hoping this is the replacement of Brandon. We still will seed a section of Brandon because it was just that Good.

Since I'm done with the peas and barley and now joined drill one on Wheat for a few days drill one has changed over to Canola and I will finish the wheat.

The first-day spraying will be today. Nothing was growing and when it's -10 at night park the ****er you're doing nothing but drive around and listen to the radio. We don't spray when it's cold but once the temps warm up we will go a day or two before it pops out of the ground. Wheat I have sprayed just at the spiral of the leaf coming out and had zero problems. Peas go home if anything is up.

Stone picking and other stuff are going on.

Yes, I did get stuck already once but the new mud bourg is working great, and yes it's dry so most fields are up and back.

Water for spraying could be an issue later on as a lot of sloughs are gone and dugouts are lower than normal.

Livestock guys have started moving animals around but still feeding odd bale. Hayfields need a good slow three-day soaking or we have a big problem on the horizon. Feed will be very scarce.

Lots of land swaps in our area north of town as Some older families slow down and younger family members take over. South we have a new guy in the area and he is competing against a Calgary guy. Fun times.

No pig shit this year since we're still on year three.

The odd farm is dropping seeding Canola in some areas and taking the seed back. Some are switching to wheat or barley so crops can germinate and get a row then crop insurance will pay since it's established. They feel Canola won't germinate so all you would get back is your seeding benefit. Some guys also are shifting it to neutral or slowing down taking time seeding their canola looking up at the sky hoping for rain. Yesterday it spits a couple of times and god the rain sure smelled awesome. But it was a spit.

So basically we need to take a knee and hope and pray for a general rain, by the next crop report I think some guys will be done seeding. Be safe and happy seeding.

I guess none of those blabbering reporters were around in 2001 or 2002 , let alone the late 80’s lol

Comment

On the Grain markets, everything changed last week in Canola as big grain companies moved products out to crushing plants because no one was buying at 24 dollars a bushel. The crash started Monday and went stupid thereafter.

We got out starting Friday and liquidated out by Tuesday all contracts I had delivered on. Will average out very nice. Sometimes you bet on what you know not what a dumb **** says on the radio about big crops when he has never ever gone into a field to look. Big crops were a joke to get us to 2030. Our Average will be very decent for the year. But with 2021 prices this is where farmers' crops should be paid at levels.

The wheat we are still in holding pattern on some. Barley is gone and so are peas.

Comment

Oh, his little brown truck was all over but just like a politician, it's good and I'm good so everyone is good. Look over here a rabbit it rained in Maple Creek the Canola Capital of Canada.

This is for Chuck.

Your Buddy screwed up again this week passing a bill on voting by mail. Yea those work out so well.

He did the old look here an absurd bill to **** with the internet and people bought it hook-line and sinker. Then the NDP and Lib pushed the vote by mail through.

We just should call them two NDP/Liberal bum buddies.

Then Justin screwed up on line 5 that he knew about for years that the Gov in USA was nuts.

He thought his buddy sleepy joe would help.

They are now in the courts.

Comment

Guys are absolutely going nuts for land. I have had 2 offers to buy out or rent my little slice of heaven.

Anyone seen swinging wrenches is thought to be easy pickings. Sorry boys you are going to have to pay up big time to pry this out of my hands.

Comment

Next Monday highs in the 80's forecast and a fair breeze. Not conducive to seeding canola in marginal moisture....if there is no moisture then maybe the decision is easier

Comment

Comment

Big rain coming on May 21 to 23 according to weather network but I think that is a statistical prediction not based on weather.

It's common for a rain on the May long weekend...

Comment

Wheat seeded two weeks ago today.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    I guess none of those blabbering reporters were around in 2001 or 2002 , let alone the late 80’s lol
                    When did Kevin Hersch start reporting? At least he was knowledgeable, though sometimes wondered who was pulling his strings.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                      Oh, his little brown truck was all over but just like a politician, it's good and I'm good so everyone is good. Look over here a rabbit it rained in Maple Creek the Canola Capital of Canada.

This is for Chuck.

Your Buddy screwed up again this week passing a bill on voting by mail. Yea those work out so well.

He did the old look here an absurd bill to **** with the internet and people bought it hook-line and sinker. Then the NDP and Lib pushed the vote by mail through.

We just should call them two NDP/Liberal bum buddies.

Then Justin screwed up on line 5 that he knew about for years that the Gov in USA was nuts.

He thought his buddy sleepy joe would help.

They are now in the courts.
                      Sasky no doubt you don't believe in making it easy for citizens to vote by mail or other means. You would rather gerrymander the ridings and find ways to make sure you suppress the votes of your political opponents like your Republican bretheren do so well in the USA. LOL

Comment

Good report as always SF3 thanks for sharing hope you get some rain

Comment

1st bly doing well.

Comment

Here in southwest Mb, it's very dry too. Fire bans are on again in almost every RM in Manitoba. There's some moisture down a couple inches but not sure if its enough for germination without a good rain.
                            Many sloughs that often still have water in the fall are dry this spring.
                            Most everyone has their cereals in for a week or two. Corn planting is in full gear and some are starting canola and soybeans.
                            We will likely dust in some canola next week.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                              When did Kevin Hersch start reporting? At least he was knowledgeable, though sometimes wondered who was pulling his strings.
                              Kevin Hursh is a dolt. His reporting has always been weak and he often inserts too much of his ill thought out ideas in his work.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...