• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

glyphosate and frost

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glyphosate and frost

When we first started using glyphosate the rule was below +4 degrees and you were to wait to spray because the weeds were not taking it in.

Now guys are spraying in the evening into a frost as the temperatures falls to stay ahead of the drill.

What has changed?

The calendar?

No spraying going on here cuz we stick with the science... :-/

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      When we first started using glyphosate the rule was below +4 degrees and you were to wait to spray because the weeds were not taking it in.

Now guys are spraying in the evening into a frost as the temperatures falls to stay ahead of the drill.

What has changed?
      The size of the farm. Gotta get er done

Comment

Originally posted by Maver View Post
        The size of the farm. Gotta get er done
        I get that, but the question remains ...is it effective?

Besides these guys are going in crop in less than three weeks and will be trying to kill weeds that they didn't kill with the burnoff....they covered them up with their bourgault cultivators.

Comment

I wouldn't be as concerned about temp. as the dryness regarding Glyposate.

With the dry conditions what's growing to kill?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            I get that, but the question remains ...is it effective?

Besides these guys are going in crop in less than three weeks and will be trying to kill weeds that they didn't kill with the burnoff....they covered them up with their bourgault cultivators.
            We have been seeding for a week and there are still no visible weeds on the surface. Dig below and they are still coming under. But you cant wait for that.

I dont see guys spraying as many acres this spring. We didnt.

Comment

Very few spraying anything here
              The odd farm given er but most just focusing on getting seeding wrapped up
              Very little if any weed growth at all
              Should solve the pretend glyphosate shortage . Millions of acres not sprayed
              It not a bad thing at all really.
              So if the retailer tries to tell you there is still a glyphosate shortage and price going up , remind them of reality lol

Comment

The kochia is dying but thats because its run out of surface moisture...

Comment

In a perfect world, lots of moisture, sunny days with no wind.

Did the weeds that were there die or freeze off? There are more and more germinating weeds every day, did the frost kill those or slow them down ?
                  No

If weeds get burried one day with field work then wait a couple days if they grow through, then fresh new leaves to take it in.

Tank mix roundup with other products, will help carry each other into the plant.
                  We have a 100 days to grow a crop, use your time wisely.

Comment

We sprayed yesterday. Glyphosate, the saviour of soil, farm economies and civilization. There's a lot of annual weeds like wild oats, volunteer wheat, etc. growing on the fields planned for canola. We are so short of moisture we don't want any moisture robbing weeds out there. Also, if drought continues the weeds growing are only going to get harder to kill once they get more stress.

We find it effective on annuals despite some frost. It's the wrong time of year for perennials anyway.

Comment

My sprayer has been parked but all acres are sprayed in fall.

Hard to kill weeds gone.

Rest I use two apps Liberty if needed and zero RR till fall.

I give my canola ground a break.

Doing this for three years now. Zero burn off where canola goes.

Pea ground one new quarter

Hrs first 9 quarters just before wheat poles out a app.

Have fun we’re saving money

Comment

Spraying is like vaccinating, you dont have to use it... but no complaints if your crop looks like shit.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...