• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EV bullshit , fact checking

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ALBERTAFARMER4 View Post
    That's true. My neighbours hate me. Last night someone came and knocked on my door and asked me to unplug my car so they could use their oven to cook a pizza. This is actually a completely fabricated story similar to yours. Just playing along.
    That little factoid is from a former exec at BC hydro. I think he might know a thing or two.

No grid in canada can handle the fleet of EVs envisioned. Not the generation, not the rural high volt transmission, not even down to street level. I would love to see the plan to rip up all the streets and back yards to run in some more copper.

Guess it all comes down to rooftop solar. Good luck with that. Hope there is a double digit efficiency jump coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
      That little factoid is from a former exec at BC hydro. I think he might know a thing or two.

No grid in canada can handle the fleet of EVs envisioned. Not the generation, not the rural high volt transmission, not even down to street level. I would love to see the plan to rip up all the streets and back yards to run in some more copper.

Guess it all comes down to rooftop solar. Good luck with that. Hope there is a double digit efficiency jump coming soon.
      When the model T came out did we just say "well guess no one's going to build nice paved roads and gas stations everywhere so I guess we'll just go back to horses!" ?

Also, the average Canadian drives 15200km/year. That's about 42km/day. 42km @ 180Wh/km (120km/h on the highway averaged out for the year) and adjusted for 88% charge efficiency would be an energy cost of 8.6kWh or $1.72/day. You think that the average person using an extra $1.72 of electricity per day would break the grid?

Comment

Our trusted friends at SNC just came out with a study that says we need 3x the power production by 2050 and Hydro or Nuclear are the only reliable choices.
        Equivalent to 113 site C Hydro projects.
        That's a lot of $1.72 a day.

Comment

When the model T came out did we just say "well guess no one's going to build nice paved roads and gas stations everywhere so I guess we'll just go back to horses!" ?

Also, the average Canadian drives 15200km/year. That's about 42km/day. 42km @ 180Wh/km (120km/h on the highway averaged out for the year) and adjusted for 88% charge efficiency would be an energy cost of 8.6kWh or $1.72/day. You think that the average person using an extra $1.72 of electricity per day would break the grid?
          I agree with your first paragraph but I dunno on the second. To suggest adding 8.6kwh to every household is insignificant is wrong. Based on my last power bill (21kwh/day average) that is a 40% increase to my usage. Every cold day or hot day there are warnings on power usage as its maxed out so no there is not 40% extra capacity.

But I'm not against EVs, we just got to be realistic about it.

Comment

Canadian Tire set up an impressive auto charging station. I haven’t seen anyone near it. Hmmm. Everytime I jump in my vehicle and turn the key, I think, “Thank God, I don’t need to stop and spend 12 hours charging it”.

Comment

Its likely that EV batteries could provide some backup electrical supply for homes in the future.

As A4 correctly pointed out, most vehicle trips are of short duration and can easily be handled by an EV. For those who have range anxiety you can get a plugin hybrid untill EVs and charging infrastructure improve.

They are already developing very quick charging batteries. Toyota already has a hydrogen vehicle on the road.

The critics of EVs often forget that we have transitioned transportation systems and vehicles with continual improvements over decades otherwise we would still all be driving the Model A.

Comment

We are talking about the obsolete power grid that we are planingon putting 3x demand through with no mention from our planers other than saying we are going electric by 2030.
                Rainbows and unicorns?

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                  I agree with your first paragraph but I dunno on the second. To suggest adding 8.6kwh to every household is insignificant is wrong. Based on my last power bill (21kwh/day average) that is a 40% increase to my usage. Every cold day or hot day there are warnings on power usage as its maxed out so no there is not 40% extra capacity.

But I'm not against EVs, we just got to be realistic about it.

That's true that it's not an insignificant amount and if we were to wake up tomorrow with every single vehicle being electric we would be in trouble. EV will take 10-15 years to have significant market share. I'm in southern Alberta and a solar system that would displace 9kWh per day on average throughout the year would cost about $12k (3KW and assuming you would pay an installer $4/watt installed). That install cost is on the high side.

Comment

That $12k is only 100,000km worth of fuel based on 30mpg (12.5km/L) vehicle and $1.50/L fuel. Not bad if true and you could live with a short range vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                      That $12k is only 100,000km worth of fuel based on 30mpg (12.5km/L) vehicle and $1.50/L fuel. Not bad if true and you could live with a short range vehicle.
                      Yeah and that price is a bit high as the actual materials to do a 3KW install would be about $1.50-1.75/watt.
                      If you live in Canada and want to drive in the winter make sure you have at least 400km of range and I would suggest something with dual motors so you have AWD.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
                        Find me a 100% reliable replacement so I could take my farm off the grid at an even close to reasonable price I’d be all over it. It’s not the power, it’s the transmission and distribution charges.
                        Question, do we not own the lines in Alberta, seems to me I paid for them to get it to my yard?
                        I’m sure 1/2 of my gas bill doesn’t go to those charges, in that case it’s federal fuel charges.
                        I thought about this too but I think it's a huge advantage to remain connected to this grid. In an off grid system if you generate excess power it is a complete waste. You could figure out something with bitcoin mining but I don't think that's worth the grief. If you have any kind of system failure you can still pull off the grid as a backup. Battery systems are still very expensive per kWh.

Also if you generate 1 kWh the power company will pay you 7 cents. If you use 1 kWh you will pay 20 cents.

Comment

Is there one with AWD?
                          What is the battery service life? I imagine the full drawdown and full recharge is critical to optimizing battery life. My iPhone battery lasts about 1 to 1.5 years before needing replacement but I don’t try to optimize the charging protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                            Is there one with AWD?
                            What is the battery service life? I imagine the full drawdown and full recharge is critical to optimizing battery life. My iPhone battery lasts about 1 to 1.5 years before needing replacement but I don’t try to optimize the charging protocol.
                            If you're looking for AWD all Tesla's have an AWD option. Mustang Mach-E, Porsche Taycan, Polestar 2 and Audi eTron have AWD too. My 2018 model 3 has 190,000km or 8 years of battery warranty. I'm currently at 95,000km and have seen about 8% range loss due to battery degradation (499km new and 460km now). I usually only run the battery down below 30% on road trips and charge to 80% for daily driving. If I'm doing a long trip I'll charge to 100% and leave as soon as it hits 100%.

Comment

Good info , thx ab4 for some real life info 👍

Comment

Like Jazz, I also heard from an oil exec that the keystone XL pipeline would bring riches to Alberta, it would make electric vehicles be taken back to the horse age. That oil would be THE resource. No point getting anything electric, our future in oil is now.

Now imagine if Kenny would have spent 1.3 billion + loan guarantees on rechargeable infrastructure - or frankly anything else? Oh right, tax payer subsidies on oil and lost causes are just fine with low IQ Agriville.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...